Author Topic: IAR Buffalo Rifles/reliability  (Read 6253 times)

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
IAR Buffalo Rifles/reliability
« on: July 04, 2006, 06:00:10 PM »
OK, Folks,

I know this has already been hashed over MANY times in the past BUT I wasn't in on any of them, so here goes...How good are the IAR Sharps replicas, who are they made by and will a Green Mt. rifle barrel fix accuracy problems (if there are any)? Have seen one at a gunshop for a decent price and, since I have gunsmithed black powder for years, think I can figure out a way to fix any problems. BUT I have never heard of IAR nor their firearms so want some feedback on those who are knowledgeable.

Lett her rip, boys!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: IAR Buffalo Rifles/reliability
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 10:31:02 AM »
I'll give this a stab from memory...
Some 25 years ago if you wanted a Sharps to reenact with there were few choices.

The NSSA boys had originals, and the cost of them were going sky high.
There was a very good and authentic replica imported by Garrett (I've  owned #663 # 903 ) a 54 Cal. percussion carbine complete with a working Lawrence Primer, Made in Italy for Garrett Arms in Virginia, by Palmetto to high standards,  in both Percussion and center fire 45/70 & 45/90 Mil. carbines.
American black walnut , and fit and finish so good that an original lock plate was a absolute drop in ( I know, I added them to 3 Garrett's)
I don't think more than a few thousand carbines were made ( the last were un-chambered un-head-spaced otherwise finished center fire carbines.

then there was the Sile grip company  import , these If I recall were by IAB (Italy), not quite the fit and finish of a Garrett
not bad w/ European walnut. These had no Lawrence Primer ( not even simulated as Shiloh Sharps does )
These could be had for about $ 160 at Woolco.
There was a Mil. Carbine, and a hex & a round barreled sporter

IAR came along and Sile got out ( Garrett had closed his doors in about 1986 )
I think IAB will be Palmettos.

Shiloh introduced their US made Berdan Rifle , Mil carbine ( both a Richmond & a US issue ) and their current line of long range sporters ,Quigley Etc.

and then there is the  Pedersoli CNC made line.

I owned 3 Garrett's (2 percussion & 1, 45/70) , 1 Pedersoli 45/70 carbine , 1 Sile percussion carbine , and two Shiloh (one a Berdan Rifle and one Richmond carbine )
and several Original carbines including 1 "59" and 3 "63" models.

The best repo IMO the Garrett ( best fit and finish, most authentic )  second (sorry guys) Pedersoli ( cost, customer service, and fit and finish and stout )
Shiloh is a close third , but their Customer service is lacking.
I had a bad stock on my Burdan Rifle ( cracked wrist though the tang screw from a knot in the grain )
After much, correspondence, they offered to replace the stock "If" I paid to have it fitted elsewere ( they were backordered and did not have the man power to do it.)
Mind you,I had waited nearly a year for my Rifle, that had the bad stock installed.
The Richmond however, bought slighty used , only issue was the Brass barrel band (which I lost reenacting on Horseback)
I could never get them to send me a replacement, I would call order it and wait for it to no show and order again, wound up making it myself.
Great shooters all though....

I've shot IAR ? yes not bad shooters, if it is priced right you should enjoy it...

Edit update: I was shown aEmail from Palmetto earlier today  states , "they sold their tooling to Pedersoli .... "
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pedro

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 12:38:27 PM »
Some good and real memories and other not real at all.....probably the weight of 25 years arrived.

1970's
IAB built rifles for SILE
Palmetto for GARRETT, two different models and style.

1990's
Pedersoli bought rifles from IAB.
Taylor's bought rifles from IAB.

1998's
Palmetto sold all machines and designs to Pedersoli that began their own line.

2000's
Armisport began their own line.
Taylor's became sole distributor of Armisport Sharps rifles for USA.

From 15 years IAR is buying rifles from IAB (directly or not) and from last 5 years also from Pedersoli and Armisport.

Absolutely STANDING OVATION with claps to MAJOR2, this MAN is talking perfectly about stuffs dated 30 years ago !!!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:34:32 AM »

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 05:44:02 AM »
Wow!  well thanks  ;D and your correct about IAB ( I adjusted my post ) I missed spoke ...Palmetto on my mind  ::) a senior moment  ;D

(Bob) Garrett's Sharps if you find one is worth the preimum you might pay . I bought my first one #663 for $205 from Log Cabin Shops in Lodi Ohio.

I sold it for $850 with the Original lock plate.... no, not as a original , thought it looked it after 10 years of mountd reenacting.

Offline Pedro

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 02:13:04 AM »
WOW....and they are saying is not possible make moneys with firearms!!!

Major2...I noted this!

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 07:45:18 PM »
It can be done .. what did best though was the way the Euro shot the costs up...

To add there is an importer... TriStar , they have their name on the Sharps they are made in Italy by the same firm IAB .
There is C Sharps assembled here in the good old USA, (Pedersoli rough casts on some guns I'm told )

I had a Pedersoli 45/70 Mil. Carbine that was a fine gun... I bought it for $775 and it sold used for $875 two years later due to the Euro increase on NIB guns....

The Armi Sport Spencer I have is very nice and sweet shooter, I would give Armi Sport Sharps a defiant look .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com