Author Topic: Schofield Differences  (Read 4719 times)

klw

Schofield Differences
« on: January 17, 2006, 05:37:38 PM »
I've never seen an original, old S&W Schofield but I understand that it had some sort of gas seal that is not in any of the current reproductions.

Could someone post pictures of this AND the same area in a replica so I could understand what the differences are?

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Schofield Differences
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 02:14:48 PM »
Thanks Joss for the pictures and explaination.  I never quit understood the difference before.  ;)

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline klw

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 04:18:12 PM »
klw, I can't find picture of an original and replica Schofield, but the attached photo should show you difference. The photo's are of Guano's guns. The nickel plated Schofield is a modern reproduction, the bottom revolver is an original of the black powder frame era.

Notice how the front of the cylinder meets the barrel and the cylinder fill in the area right up next to the front of the frame on the replica? Now look at the original revolver. The cylinder meets the rear of the barrel but there is an offset area allowing an opening between the front of the cylinder and the frame. This is where the problem arises when shooting blackpowder. There is no place for the gases to escape, subsequently they are forced downward ( actually in all directions) thus causing an extreme buildup of fouling. On the original revolver there is an additional item called a gas ring (which does not show up in the photo), it protects fouling from entering into the area of the cylinder pin, and keeps it operational and help diminish fouling.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/iamguano/Schofield/MyCimarronn.jpg

That was an excellent explaination.  Thanks!

But it raises a question.  Neither the S&W Schofield nor the new Beretta Laramie are what I'd call economy models.  I don't think that a low price was the driving force behind either gun.  So if this cylinder difference and the gas ring worked well in the originals, why weren't they put into these reproductions?  After all some number of these guns were most likely going to be shot with blackpowder.

I can not really envision the gas ring but would there be any practical way to add this to a Laramie?

Also if you had an original with these two features, how many rounds could you shoot before blackpowder fouling became a problem?

Finally, am I correct in assuming that you can cast your bullets for these out of pure lead?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:33:58 AM »

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 09:07:23 AM »
Good point, as it seems that all they would need to do would be to lengthen the frame a bit so the gas ring would fit.

Offline DArchangel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 10:46:27 AM »
please remember the replicas are made with a longer cylinder to handle the longer colt round.the original schofield round is shorter. they didn't have room for the barrel extension.
Not a pimp, not a pistol fighter,not a coca-cola soak,just an old man trying desperatly to get older.

Offline klw

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 12:10:28 PM »
Back in 1993 when the reproduction Uberti Schofield was first manufactured, it was design for the targeted group of cowboy action shooters. Black powder was low on the average shooters priority list. SASS was in it's 10th year and the competition arms race was just beginning. The market wanted a Schofield that would be safe and reliable with smokeless powder, remember the original was designed specifically for black powder, subsequently the gas ring was a non essential item. For the factory to go back and retool to cast longer frames, would be simpler to recreate an entirely new gun. It very likely will never happen.

As for any practical way to retrofit a gas ring to an existing Schofield or Laramie, that would take some major gunsmith work to machine out the frame and manufacture a gas ring. It could conceivably be done but would be cost prohibited.

Well that certainly makes sense though I would have never thought of it.

Still you'd think that someone would design a revolver of this type from the ground up that was meant to be a blackpowder pistol.  Surely there would be enough interest to make it financially attractive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com