Author Topic: Is there someone that works on the Taurus Lighting in Australia  (Read 4665 times)

Offline bounty hunter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is there someone that works on the Taurus Lighting in Australia
« on: October 01, 2007, 11:45:07 PM »
I am starting this topic as I have just started out in CAS with the Little River Raiders in Melbourne.  I have just bought a Taurus Thunderebolt in 45 colt for the rifle section of the matches.  It has now fired 400 rounds and consistently jams.  This is generally caused by the nose of the projectile being caught in the magazine during fast cycling and the rim of the case is stuck up in the action.

I have checked bullet overall lenght  and it is fine.  When cycled at a more sedate speed, the rifle performs flawlessly.  I  have contacted the importers and the rep stated that it is a 100 year old action and it is not ment to be worked so fast.  It is not covered by warranty.  I would preferr to keep the pump as I find it easier to operate quickly than a lever. (Shoulder and elbow injuries)   

Is there anyone that has worked with this rifle and is able to smooth it up so that it is fast and RELIABLE.  If not, I will have to bite the bullet, lose a couple of hundred $ and buy a Marlin 1994.

Bounty Hunter.         >:(

Offline Dakota Dan from OZ

• Top Active Citizen
  • The Legend Lives On
  • Liked:
Re: Is there someone that works on the Taurus Lighting in Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 12:20:46 AM »

There's a fellow at Cleaver Firearms in Margate Queensland that does work on them,but it is never going to quick.Give them a ring  07 3883 1733 and talk to Lane he's the gunsmith there.

Good luck.

Dakota  8)

My Pa once said "Son never take a knife to Gun Fight"  He told the truth.
SASS# 28875
SASS State Governor
SASA  Aust #2715
SASA State Discipline Chairman
RATS 239
PWDFR 146
GSC 001

Offline bounty hunter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 10:25:17 PM »
Thanks for that Dakota.

I will give hime ring.  If it can not be made to go quick and reliable, I will sell it. I would like to pick up a Marlin 1994 in 45 colt, but these are very hard to find so I do not know where to next, but we will see.  I just want to get into the action.

Bounty Hunter.    :-\ 

Advertising

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:12:08 AM »
I wonder if the short 45 that they talk about on this site would work any better?

The Pedersoli/Berettas might work better, but they would want to they are more than three times the price of the Taurus.

A 1873 or 1866 in 357 with a short stroke kit and alloy lifter might be a lot easier for you to operate, given your injuries.

Good luck with it,
Mick.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline bounty hunter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 02:27:17 AM »
Been of the forum for a while.  I now use a Marlin 94 in 45 colt fitted with a tang sight.  Good reliable rifle.  One malfunction in 800 rounds.  It complents my 45 colt  New Vaqueros 71/2 stainless revolvers.  This is a good game.  Had trouble with the double trigger shotgun due to me be left handed, I consistenly double discharded it in comp.  Got me a Baikal double with single trigger and the ejectors have been deactivated to extractors and it came with 5 chokes tubes. 

45 colt was my choice, I just love it.  Many of my mates use 38/357 to good effect.  They are a bit faster than me, but shooting dualist it does not really matter.  Hittin is more important.  Thanks for you help and comments.

The Tauris Thunderbolt has been fixed by the Australian importer and seems to work reasonable well now, so it is up for sale at a reduced price to get rid of it.

Bounty hunter. :D

Offline Hoodoo Brown

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 03:07:25 PM »
The triggers on most of the two trigger shotguns could have been set up to suit a left hander.It just takes a competant gunsmith and a bit of time.

The pump action Taurus firearms all seem to have some problems and there is not enough value in them to spend a lot of money mucking about.The Petersoli in 44.40 and the USFA in 44.40 at $A2000 and $A3000 respectively are not a great deal better.However I will continue to work on the USFA till I get it right.

Your 1894 Marlin should not cause any problems till about 5-10,000 rounds and then parts are showing wear, and you will be subjected to "Marlin Jam". Its fixable, and should not occur again after the correct fix.

All were designed two centuries ago to be shot when needed, and in 2008 we drive them like a race car.
Send lawyers, guns and money
The shit has hit the fan.

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:00:33 AM »
Dang! My friend is trying to sell off a few guns so that he can raise funds to buy the building he is in. He has a couple of new taurus pump rifles for $500. If the rifle was in 44WCF, I would have bought one in a heartbeat, but I'm reluctant to go for one in 45Colt. I like the 45Colt and have four pistols in it, but don't fancy it in a rifle so much.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com