Author Topic: Mounted Shooting Holsters  (Read 4501 times)

Offline cowboyjared

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mounted Shooting Holsters
« on: May 18, 2013, 12:06:18 AM »
I know a lot of people on here dont do mounted shooting but I have a horse that is stable enough to shoot off of and when I went to a practice with several people they all had holsters they wore around the abdomen and with my riding technique and and longer arms pulling from a holster that high is uncomfortable, but just bsing around I found it comfortable to have the hung off the horn of the saddle, is it legal to have holster slung off horn or are you only allowed to have them on yourself

Offline flyingcollie

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Mounted Shooting Holsters
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »
I'm crazy enough to be attracted to mounted shooting . . . got a green four year old mare I started as a long two year old, but she's not ready for shooting off of. It's hard to find stuff on mounted shooting. I got to go 90 miles to meet up with a mounted outfit, and that's been a tough go, weather and all this spring.

I'm sure not in the know, but what I learn from those folks, it's OK to have saddle-bow holsters . . . I notice they are all wearing rigs that are practically shoulder holsters . . .

The "traditional" cowboy hip belt doesn't seem to be too workable when mounted, in all reality. I rode last spring with a friend who likes to "carry", and his rig was basically a shoulder-holster . . . I see that it does make more sense than a belt worn at the waist.

I don't know how many folks are interested in mounted shooting, but you'd think there would be a forum on this site, that's got everything elst

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 02:03:43 AM »
I don't know about the rules, but I doubt the anatomical issues you have are unique enough to re-write the what works rules.  I don't even ride, let alone do this kind of shooting, but I make holsters, and am interested in what works in this field.    The folks who can really sit a horse are not bobbin around looking for guns, they retain a very level head, with eyes down the course.  That seems to be important, and having the guns about the same place they have their reins is what I see, but as I say, I don't do it.  I had a long term relationship with a girl, who had a longer term relationship with a horse.  I used to make her tack, so I know some of the stuff riders do from an admirer's perspective. :)

I read this article, and then I read all the technical stuff at the links in it:

http://westernshootinghorse.com/jcontent/guns02202011/guns-news13977345/gear1332329111/1008-packin-iron

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:45:22 AM »

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:32:11 PM »
Watch the slide show.

Just as in SASS, fast draw, or mounted shooting. It comes down to ergonomics.

http://dixieroseleather.com/
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com