Author Topic: 1866 right side plate over torqued by previous owner: Fix  (Read 1669 times)

Offline ogreshooter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1866 right side plate over torqued by previous owner: Fix
« on: November 06, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »
While it may not be EXACTLY pretty, I did come up with a pretty ingenious fix for a stripped out lever bolt hole.

Found a piece of brass, was already center drilled for tapping to 10-32 and OD was in the neighborhood of .4" and around 1.5" long.

Tapped out for 10-32 machine screw. Chucked it up in a lathe and cut a .125" long section down to .265" and cut total length down to .25". (Basically I made a fancy dancy nutsert out of brass.

Drilled lever hole out to .265 and set the nutsert in and encouraged it with a block of wood and a hammer.

All edges are smooted over so there is nothing sharp or ugly. Just a little button on the right side plate.

Way cheaper than spending $50 on a new plate, or $90 since Uberti no longer sells single sides.

Will get photos later for everyone.

HW

Offline Doc Fillem

• Doc Fillem, The Deadly Dentist
  • Citizen
  • Doc Fillem, The Deadly Dentist
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1866 right side plate over torqued by previous owner: Fix
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:39:55 AM »
Had the same prob with my '66. I drilled and tapped the hole in the sideplate to 10-32, then replaced the original lever screw with a brass one. Fits the lever better then the old one as it was slightly undersized for the lever hole. Been using it for about a year with no problems. I also polished the new brass screw to match the receiver.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com