Author Topic: Uberti 1875 Army Outlaw  (Read 25408 times)

Offline Waldo Bodfish

• Active citizen
  • Lead Farmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti 1875 Army Outlaw
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:06:49 PM »
Are these SASS/CAS legal? Does anyone have any experience with them? I am looking at getting into CAS and would like to be a little different from the rest of the pack.
SASS # 91995
R.A.T.S. # 610

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti 1875 Army Outlaw
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 02:15:54 PM »
Are these SASS/CAS legal? Does anyone have any experience with them? I am looking at getting into CAS and would like to be a little different from the rest of the pack.

They are quite legal, and very well thought-of.  A lot of pards shoot 'em.  For a while, I had a pair of 'em as my main match pistols.  Sadly, once I started shooting Duelist, it turned out that their "grip geometry" didn't fit my hands very well, so I no longer have 'em.

Particularly if you intend to shoot one-handed (aka Duelist, or Gunfighter), be sure to verify that your hands and the grips are a good match.  It doesn't matter as much if you plan to shoot with a two-handed grip.

I'm sure others will chime in here.

Season's Best!

-- Nighteyes

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:35:38 PM »

here are me and Old Tops guns
we love em

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:44:21 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 04:04:46 AM »
Very legal.

Great guns and VERY accurate ... if you do your part!

Here's a pic from when I had 2 1875s and an 1863 New Model Army.    Since then, I traded one of the 1875s (I refuse  to call them "Outlaws!"  Stupid Italian marketing Dept!) for a Colt (tm) 2nd Gen., 1st Model Dragoon.

Included in this picture is the Dragoon that I traded one of the 1875s for:

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 06:07:02 PM »
What's the time period of that "saw backed" knife? I always thought that was a "modern/tactical/fantasy knife" invention.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 06:31:09 PM »
What's the time period of that "saw backed" knife? I always thought that was a "modern/tactical/fantasy knife" invention.

"Not hardly."  [John Wayne as Big Jake McCandless]

The saw-back on knives goes way, WAY back.  I know for a fact that the German Army had sawbacked bayonets in The Big War, for use in removing the supports for barbed wire.  I have seen what amounted to saw teeth on knives as far back as the 1850's, and probably before.

During the Vietnam War, sawbacked blades were found on a number of private-purchase knives such as the Hackman (later Garcia) Survival Knives, and IIRC Randall had a sawbacked survival knife during the same period.

<---- Sorta knows about edged weapons of the 20th Century

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 07:35:57 PM »

Howdy, Pony E.

It's not a saw-back.  Some call it "file work," some call it "jimping."  It is simply decoration.  It can also be used to scrape hide.

That knife is a Russell Green River skinner type knife, which goes back into the fur-trade era.  Mine is kinda old, but not 150 yrs. old!  But they DO go back that far, I assure you.

Thanks, Daniel!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »
Are these SASS/CAS legal? Does anyone have any experience with them?

Yup!  I got a pair in 44-40.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 09:57:54 AM »
Well.....you learn something new every day!

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 10:43:43 AM »
Well.....you learn something new every day!

I'm quoting the late, great, Robt. H. Heinlein here:

"You live and learn, or you don't live long."

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 10:59:14 AM »

Howdy, Pony E.

It's not a saw-back.  Some call it "file work," some call it "jimping."  It is simply decoration.  It can also be used to scrape hide.

That knife is a Russell Green River skinner type knife, which goes back into the fur-trade era.  Mine is kinda old, but not 150 yrs. old!  But they DO go back that far, I assure you.

Thanks, Daniel!

I've seen similar work on Scottish dirks, and those go way back.

I have a reproduction Green River dagger-type knife that has some interesting file work on the "back" edge, and a reproduction rifleman's knife with file work on it.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 10:47:56 AM »
A brace of .45 Uberti 1875's are my favorite CAS revovlers -

I fitted them out with lanyard rings for a bit of "personalization".  Such rings were very common on original 1875 revolvers, so I am at a loss why Uberti (or any other maker, for that matter) has never offered the option on their repros, considering they are tooled up to do it for the Model 1890 clones.  (I got "spare parts" for the 1890 and installed them .....)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 11:54:24 AM »
A brace of .45 Uberti 1875's are my favorite CAS revovlers -

I fitted them out with lanyard rings for a bit of "personalization".  Such rings were very common on original 1875 revolvers, so I am at a loss why Uberti (or any other maker, for that matter) has never offered the option on their repros, considering they are tooled up to do it for the Model 1890 clones.  (I got "spare parts" for the 1890 and installed them .....)

Where'd you get the rings, RJ?  And how'd you get around the serial number stamped on the butt?

I've been wanting to add a ring to mine.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »
Jeff:

At the time, I ordered the parts from Uberti USA (back before the Benelli/Beretta takeover, when Maria Uberti was running the US company.)   I had to order the Lanyard Ring pins and rings separately, and in the end they were only able to supply the pins, so I made the rings myself ....

Now, Uberti USA don't seem to offer parts, but I note VTI Gunparts state they are the largest supplier of Uberti parts in the United States.  Here is the Remington 1875/1890 schematics and parts list page on their website -
http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=26&cat=Uberti+1875+Outlaw+and+1890+Police

I note that they seem to only offer the pin (Part UB:155460 at $10 each) or the complete assembly (Part UB:155460/ass at $30 each) but no separate rings ....

EDIT: - Forgot to respond to your question about the serial numbers - on one of my revolvers, the number was stamped on the underside of the frame, at the front, so it wasn't a problem.  The other had it in the usual place across the bottom strap  of the grip frame, where it would be partially obscured by the lanyard ring pin.  I re-stamped it on that revolver. (Legally permitted here in Canada .... not sure about on your side of the Medicine Line ....)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 04:16:52 PM »
Jack

Very nice set of gunz. And great picture.

Hope you had a nice holiday up north.

curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »

Howdy Pards

The pictures aren't as nice as yours but  here are mine

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 09:02:10 PM »

Shot of the barrel end of one of my Remingtons.

10W
Pictures are in the eye of the beholder
I like em
show us more

curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 11:02:05 PM »

Curley thanks for the flowers Pard, but you're a hard act to follow, and this picture you just posted is fantastic, that outfit rocks, you really look like the real deal..... :P ::) 8)

Best Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 11:24:55 PM »
Awesome photo. Come to to think of it, how do you think it would look in sepia tone?
A work in progress.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 11:40:02 PM »
Jeff:

At the time, I ordered the parts from Uberti USA (back before the Benelli/Beretta takeover, when Maria Uberti was running the US company.)   I had to order the Lanyard Ring pins and rings separately, and in the end they were only able to supply the pins, so I made the rings myself ....

Now, Uberti USA don't seem to offer parts, but I note VTI Gunparts state they are the largest supplier of Uberti parts in the United States.  Here is the Remington 1875/1890 schematics and parts list page on their website -
http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=26&cat=Uberti+1875+Outlaw+and+1890+Police

I note that they seem to only offer the pin (Part UB:155460 at $10 each) or the complete assembly (Part UB:155460/ass at $30 each) but no separate rings ....

EDIT: - Forgot to respond to your question about the serial numbers - on one of my revolvers, the number was stamped on the underside of the frame, at the front, so it wasn't a problem.  The other had it in the usual place across the bottom strap  of the grip frame, where it would be partially obscured by the lanyard ring pin.  I re-stamped it on that revolver. (Legally permitted here in Canada .... not sure about on your side of the Medicine Line ....)

Thank you, Sir!
I would need the assembly, so that's no problem.  I'll find out about a restamp.

Thanks!

Jeff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com