Author Topic: Engraving Photos  (Read 12098 times)

Offline what would you say

• Citizen
  • Too old to run like an outlaw..but ugly enough.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Engraving Photos
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
NA

Offline Pangaea

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Turnbull 45LC 60% engraved
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:59:57 PM »

Top one is 45 Colt # SP0093
Bottom is 44 WCF # SP0117

Are either of these numbers close to yours?

Offline sixguns

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 09:11:11 PM »
Been lurking for quite awhile, but first time posting.  Attached is SP0092 in .44 WCF

Edit:  Whoops, it is SP0091, not 92

Advertising

Re: Engraving Photos
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:32:12 AM »

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 10:43:40 PM »
Guys those are some really beautiful guns!

In times past Colt considered 60 to 75% is a "C" engraved SAA.  Full coverage is 80 to 90% traditionally on a SAA.
As an example take a look at my Shootist pair.  One is a C- (<70%) and the other a C+ at best (80%) in traditional Colt terms.

Everything in the link below is  "C" at best or "C-" by Colt standards.  And one pair really not even "finished" if you look closely.  Metal finish has nothing to do with the level of coverage or what is the actual % of the gun that is engraved.

http://pistolsmith.blogspot.com/2015/04/engraved-pairs.html

Colt's standards for the last 150 or so years...
http://www.colt.com/CustomerServices/ColtCustom/DesignYourOwn.aspx

Colt has historically labeled engraving at:
25% as "A" level
50% as "B"
75% and "C"
90%+ as "D"

The level of coverage has creeped up a bit over time.  A "D" gun would typically not have the hammer and front sight engraved prior to the turn of the last Century (1800 to 1900).  Now both are done commonly on "D" guns.     

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:47:54 AM »
Seriously feel like some what of a turd making the point on  coverage with such beautiful SAA guns being shown.  But a quick pictorial education on accepted engraving %s here:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/single-action-army/72168-colt-factory-engraving-question.html

Turnbull advertises this as an example of a "C" engraved 1911 and 75% coverage.  Which is frankly nonsense by any reputable standard.  In fact it is a solid Colt "A".

More here:
http://www.turnbullmfg.com/gun/turnbull-model-1911-coverage-engraving-c/

Easier for me to show this with a 1911 than a SAA.

Below is a well recognized level of "B" or 25% of the gun's surface has been covered with engraving.  And literally twice the coverage that Turnbull has declared a "C".  As I said..."it's nonsense".... and easy enough to verify with even a few hours study of historical Colt engraving.

A well recognized level of "C-" level of coverage (much of the gun has metal work but not engraving)  Which in turn makes it look more like a solid "C' or a "C+" which it is not.  Barely rates a "C".  Without the earlier metal work it would be a solid "B+" IMO.

And two solid Master level "D"s with full coverage.  Which means everything on the gun, mag button, thumb safety, slide release, top of the slide, main spring housing and front strap get engraved.

if you dbl click on the photos bigger versions of the 1911 photos here:
http://pistolsmith.blogspot.com/2015/04/engraved-1911s.html

This is a factory lettered "B" with gold inlays from Colt sold at auction by the Hollowell Co.

and what Colt thinks is 50% coverage
http://www.hallowellco.com/colt_saa%20s26719a.htm

Offline sixguns

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 08:07:42 AM »
Welcome, Sixguns!   Nice post- nice gun.    And it's a consecutive serial to Philip's 45LC

Thanks--I had to edit. It is actually #91, not 92.  I believe Pangaea outbid me for SP0117  :)

Offline Pangaea

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »
Boy, those are some pretty Colts.  Wish I knew enough about them to buy a couple.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 11:34:24 AM »
Quote from: sixguns
Thanks--I had to edit. It is actually #91, not 92.  I believe Pangaea outbid me for SP0117  :)

Most of us have learned to at least tolerate Pangaea :)  He's out bid many/most of us on some very nice guns!
I have given up and hoping to be adopted now.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 01:27:37 PM »
Had to come back to this.  Such beautiful USFA guns every one has posted.

Love this one and it really shows what a nice set of grips can do to make a gun "pop".

I believe past Colt and master engraver, John Sr. and his son John Jr. of Adams & Adams did the engraving on all these guns.  Is that everyone's understanding as well?  Stunning examples of premium USFA guns. 

Same engravers did the lower grade Turnbull serial numbers like this:

Offline sixguns

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 05:16:50 PM »
I fell in love with those stag grips when I first came across the gun.  In my opinion, they are the best looking stag grips I have seen.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 08:17:57 PM »
I fell in love with those stag grips when I first came across the gun.  In my opinion, they are the best looking stag grips I have seen.

Toss up I think between yours and Virgil Cole's :)

"Either of you boys pull on me and I'll kill ya both"

"Bullshit!"

BOOM! Boom!  KABOOM!  (the last a 10 gauge)

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 08:54:16 PM »
" Everett says something to the effect of " well, that was quick", to which Virgil replies, " everybody could shoot" 

I'm with ya.  My favorite movie gunfight by a mile for sure. (although the HEAT street escape is good as well)  And more than a little truth to both comments.  Shit happens unbelievably fast.  Even faster if you can shoot.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 01:47:43 PM »
Quote from: what would you say
Nice guns as always!
If I've ever known who did the early Turnbull engraving, I forgot.. As I don't know the engravers, but certainly would like to know for sure.

I've seen this else where from other knowledgeable sources:

Quote from: GaryG
John and his son, John Jr are out of Vershire VT and probably did at least 70% of the engraving for USFA during my tenure.  John Jr did the Cattlebrand Guns and the JW engraved sets were done by The Adams family though I can't remember which one did the JW series.  Both are great people to work with.  Check out their website www.adamsandadamsengraving.com I know what some of the marketing stuff said, but Dennis Kies was not an employee of USFA but a contractor.  As an aside, Dennis came up with the Dodge Ram logo.

John Sr, signs his work "J. Adams"   and John Jr.,  " J.A."  Usually done at the bottom of the cylinder rod hole in the frame.  But most of the work wasn't signed.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 04:00:21 PM »
This was the only one I was able to get before the bottom fell out. Wish I had picked up one of the 60% .38-40's that Ten-Ring (or CDNN) had right at the end.

SASS #81,827

Offline sixguns

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 07:36:37 PM »
Craig, I actually have that picture as the background on my computer.  Simple elegance.

Offline Pangaea

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 07:55:25 PM »
That's a beautiful piece of fight'n iron.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 08:44:40 PM »
Craig, I actually have that picture as the background on my computer.  Simple elegance.
Nice!  ;D
SASS #81,827

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 09:28:04 AM »
Very nice revolvers all. I have a matched pair S/N SP0051 and SP0129.  The 051 gun seems to have just a little nice action to it.  I've posted the photos before.  But I did have Nutmeg Sports put Ivory grips on them (the closest I'll ever get to "THE SHOOTIST" guns, which weren't even Colts, but still looked great).  .

I saw one at a local gun shop and bought it (with the factory wood grips on it).  I told them to watch for me a second one and the advised they were all gone, but they'd watch, and I'd save $$ in case they ever got another. A month later they called and had one for me...  I did my best to control the lighting, and show the character of the ivory and the engraving.  But, I believe these were "A" Engraving and stated so by Turnbull.
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 11:37:25 AM »
Beautiful pair of gun there.  Slainte!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com