Author Topic: How close charcoal blue?  (Read 6316 times)

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
How close charcoal blue?
« on: June 16, 2018, 01:12:43 PM »
How close is the new SAA clones charcoal finish to the original finish of the Colt SAA?.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
Re: How close charcoal blue?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 12:04:06 PM »

I don't know anybody who has been around long enough to answer that question.  Guns made by Colt way back in the Wabac (Sherman and the Professor) are old enough the charcoal Blueing will have faded to a degree.

I haven't seen recent production in Charcoal Blue.  Of course, there hasn't been any real recent production at Colt so we actually don't have anything to go by.  You pays your monies and takes yer chances as it twer.

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 06:36:49 PM »
Thanks fer clearin that up,,, :-\

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:06:53 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 06:46:05 PM »
The original Colt SAAs were rust blued to a dark blue/black finish, back then called armory blue.  I  don't know anything from that period that was "Charcoal blued." After WW1 Colt had a Royal Blue finish that was more blue than black, but still very dark, more of a high polish really.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »

Sorry Willy, but there is no definitive answer.

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 08:23:37 PM »
Seen a vid of how colt did their blueing in the early 1900s,, But couldn't find anything earlier..I'll still keep looking,,but in the mean time,,,Thanks for the replies :)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 11:14:02 PM »
I believe the original Colt blue was not rust blue but rather a gas oven process that did use charcoal, called carbona blue or carbonia blue. I believe Uberti's "charcoal blue" is actually a nitre blue. It is thin and wears quite easily. True carbona blue was strong.

You can sometimes see high condition examples of original Colt's on auction sites, like Rock Island Auctions and James D. Julia. The Uberti charcoal blue is pretty but it doesn't look much like original Colt's carbona blue to me.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 01:38:21 PM »
Carbona blue was an early 20th century blueing, quite lusterous and deep.  But Single Action Armys were always blued to Milspec, which called for Rust Blueing.  The current "Charcoal Blue" is pretty, but not in any way historical, as well as very delicate.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

sfc rick

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 07:52:57 AM »
Very delicate and doesn't last for long.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1227
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 11:45:05 AM »
Very delicate and doesn't last for long.

But it is my favorite Uberti finish, anyway.  :)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 927
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 12:00:41 PM »
Drydock has nailed this in his posts.

My first "Italian" single action was a Uberti "Charcoal Blue" from Cimarron. The bluing wore off the back strap, the muzzle, and the leading edge of the cylinder during load development. I learned (too late) that it wasn't an original finish.

Dave

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 09:44:24 PM »
But it is my favorite Uberti finish, anyway.  :)

Mine as well!  5 1/2 in Cimarron model 45 Colt. Not one smokeless round through it in 6 years Of owning it. Purchased new.
Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 09:02:53 AM »
If the question is did the 7th cavalry's saa's look like the charcoal blue versions offered by cimarron im gonna say no. Colt did indeed use fire/nitre blue screws hammers and triggers time to time on fancy guns though.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 04:11:39 PM »
Drydock, I stand corrected. Your statement inspired me to do some research and you are correct, carbona blue was not even invented until the early 20th Century so the early SAA's could not have been carbona blued. I am still not so sure they were rust blued. I've heard different opinions, from charcoal blued, to niter blued, to it's impossible to know.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 02:01:06 PM »
First I've ever heard of Colt's being rust blued. The original guns were indeed charcoal blued, just as the USFA Pre-war was done. Offered as an optional finish on other guns as "armory blue".  Same finish known as "carbona" blue in Turnbull's shop. There's a very good description of this process in Bowen's book. It is a very durable blued finish, moreso than modern hot salt bluing.

Carbonia is a completely different process that was the sole domain of S&W in the 20th century.

What Uberti markets as "charcoal blue" is not charcoal blue at all. It's fire/heat/nitre blue. Same finish that Colt used to put on small parts. That is why it is so delicate.

The following guns are finished by Turnbull in carbona or charcoal blue, the real thing. The first two are customs with fire blue appointments. Bottom gun is a USFA with Nutmeg ivory added.

SASS #81,827

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1227
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 08:31:36 PM »
Cimarron used to offer Turnbull's Carbonna Blue as an option as well as his bonemeal case hardening.   I was not familiar with that blue though and during my first Shot Show with Cimarron, there was one gun in the case that had a noticeably higher polished, super shiny, blue job (black).  I thought that must be the Carbonna Blue because it was obviously different, and it had their "U.S. Finish" case colors.  So I told that to a number of folks.  Found out later which ones had the Carbonna Blue, which is actually a more satiny look with a bit of gray in it, to my eyes.  Very nice finish.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 11:50:49 PM »
I think they're farming out their US Finish to Classic Guns or Classic Arms or something like that. I can never remember exactly.

It does have more a silvery blue hue to it with a more subdued luster. Looks different in every pic I take.
SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com