Author Topic: Did I just miss this?  (Read 9828 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Did I just miss this?
« on: April 26, 2009, 02:54:34 PM »
I just got a 2009 Legacy Sports catalog with some really interesting stuff:

Puma M-1892 rifles and carbines. I already know about these.

Puma M-1886 rifles and carbines in .45-70. This is new to me.

Puma M-1887 lever-action shotguns in 12 gauge with both 22" and 28" barrels. The longer ones are new to me. This also includes a "fast Load 22" gun which I never heard of before.

Puma Westerner 1873 SAA style sixguns...also new to me.

Have these been discussed somewhere before and I just missed it? I'm hoping there's a review on the 1886 and the 28" shotgun.

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
Re: Did I just miss this?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 05:09:16 PM »
I don't recall seeing any discussions on these new items. I think I'd remember that, and I check in here almost every day. Just went over and looked at Legacy's website - that 86' may interest me!  :D

Thanks for the heads-up /  inquiry!  ;)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:45:50 PM »
Yep, here it is and it's made by Chiappa (Armisport) in Italy:

http://www.legacysports.com/products/puma/puma_m92m86.html

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:38:52 AM »

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 06:06:29 PM »
What level of quality are we going to see,,say,,compared to a Cimarron/Uberti rifle ?  I like the '86 win. 45-70 is my favorite calibre of them all...bar none,,,for hunting. Just fits HOW I hunt.

Are these Pumas high quality though ? Looks good in the photos,,but shooters will be able to tell the real tale.

MD

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 07:03:39 PM »
Yep, here it is and it's made by Chiappa (Armisport) in Italy:
http://www.legacysports.com/products/puma/puma_m92m86.html

Same as the hard copy I got.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »
CChronicle had an ad, also for them
Mathew 5.9

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 08:20:02 PM »
What level of quality are we going to see,,say,,compared to a Cimarron/Uberti rifle ?  I like the '86 win. 45-70 is my favorite calibre of them all...bar none,,,for hunting. Just fits HOW I hunt.

Are these Pumas high quality though ? Looks good in the photos,,but shooters will be able to tell the real tale.

MD

I don't own any, but I've read a lot of good reports on the Puma 1892. I picked up a Rossi in that model, but haven't fired it yet. Lots of good comments on the Pumas from what I have seen - we'll see how the new 1886 looks. It's not all that much cheaper than a Japaneese Browning.....so it better be good  ;)

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 09:04:44 PM »
Haven't seen the 86, but the guns that I handled in the Chiappa booth at the St. Louis NRA Convention a couple of years ago were first class.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Deadeye Douglas

• Divine Emperor of Mankind
  • Citizen
  • They call me "Deadeye" because I shoot so bad.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 09:48:28 AM »

MD

Well, a CW reenactor will probably tell you Armisport (Chiappa) make the best Enfield reproduction after a 70's vintage Parker Hale. So their quality is pretty good. I have one myself and have been very pleased with it. The Armisport Enfields are the most historically accurate of the Italian repros and don't come with the funky wood stain that other Italian makers seem to love.

If the same level of quality applies to their other guns then I'd be very pleased.
"He should have armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend" - Will Munny, Unforgiven

"Momma always told me, never put off 'til tomorrow someone you can kill today." - Doc Holliday, Wyatt Earp

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 05:39:02 PM »
From all of the Puma's that I have seen, the wood had a dull, unattractive finish on them.

I'm not trying to pick something apart, in an unjustified manner, however I saw four of them yesterday, and they were not all that attractive with their dull colored stocks.

Bill

Offline Capt. Montgomery Little

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 08:34:35 AM »
Hey Guys,  Remember that "Puma" is just a model name and not a manufacturer. The Rossi Puma and the Armisport Puma are not one and the same so the quality can be drastically different between the two. The Rossis have the ugliest wood of any rifle made until you clean all the dye and crud off of it. Of course they are made predominently for the Brazilian market (contrary to what Cowboy shooters may think) so wood has to be durable, not pretty.  If Chiappa can make them excitingly (just made that word up) functional as well as pretty and  affordable, then more power to them.  I would be interested in seeing/handling the new 73.

Offline hawk45

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 08:19:57 PM »
Hey Guys,  Remember that "Puma" is just a model name and not a manufacturer. The Rossi Puma and the Armisport Puma are not one and the same so the quality can be drastically different between the two.

So I'm confused.  I'm looking at the online stores and see some called "Puma" and some called "Rossi Puma" and some just called "Rossi".  Are these all the same?  Prices go from $450 to over a grand.  http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=9935_13987_14246_14285&page=1&sort=5a

Also, can these handle hot .45LC loads for hunting?

Thanks,
Hawk

44caliberkid

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 07:51:05 PM »
Those could have been Brazilian (Rossi) Puma's, which have pretty crappy wood.   Apparently Puma is switching to Italian manufacture and leaving the Rossi's to Rossi.
    I like their 1887 lever shotgun but dang!   The thing is $1200 plus.   You can get a Norchinko for 1/3 of that.
    As Lil Rooster said, the 86' is almost the same cost as a Browning, so it better be a good product.

Offline Professor Honeyfuggler

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »
Legacy Sporting switched from Rossi (Brazilian) to Chiappa (italian) to supply their Puma line this year. So you have to do some poking when you look at a listing for a "Puma" to be sure you know what you're looking at.

Side by side the differences are unmistakable. Brazilians have nondescript stocks, rough internal parts, so-so wood-metal fit. Chiappas have figured stocks, excellent finish on internal parts where it counts, smooth actions out of the box, great color case hardening, good wood-metal fitting.

Are Chiappas as good as Ubertis? If heard some say they are better. All I know is that I'm really happy with the 2009 '92 Chiappa rifle I got for CAS this summer.

And to the obvious question, yes the Chiappa Pumas are more expensive than the Rossi Pumas were, but you do get what you pay for.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com