Author Topic: Krag report  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Krag report
« on: November 23, 2005, 08:20:08 PM »
Wrote earlier of a Krag sporter I'd picked up.  This is a follow up. 

From observation of this group, I'd say there is a great deal of interest in the conflicts of the late Victorian era.  IE the Spanish-American war, the Phillipine insurrection, Boxer rebellion, Moro rebellion.  Not to mention the various conflicts of the British empire of that era.  The time of TR, and a young Winston Churchill.

For we Americans, the piece most evocative of the time, is the Krag rifle.  (BTW, is there a better name for a military rifle than "Krag"?)  Unfortunatly, Milspec examples of this weapon are increasingly rare, and expensive.  Compared to later models, Krags were relativly few, and perhaps no rifle has been sporterized to the extent of the Krag.  Sold by the DCM for $1.25 in the 30s and 40s, untold thousands of these old rifles were cut down, cut up, and just plain butchered.

But because of this, "sporterized" Krags are rather plentiful, and fairly cheap.  Like mine.  So how hard is it to remilitarize a Krag?

Pretty dang easy right now.  Gunparts  http://www.e-gunparts.com/  is selling "drop in" Krag carbine stocks for just over $110.  I ordered one of these, not really expecting too much.  www.ssfirearms.com  had the sights and other small hardware needed.

The stock arrived in about 2 weeks.  Seemingly a nice enough piece of unstained walnut, clearly CNC machined.  To my surprise the action did indeed "drop in".  I spent perhaps 2  hours on it, with sandpaper and a dremel, basicly just snugging the action down into the wood.  Finish wise was mostly just hand sanding to break the sharp edges.  Hardest part was filing and bending the 1903 springfield buttplate to fit.  A coat of Boiled linseed brought out a lovely figure in the wood, clearly walnut.  I'm very happy.

Do NOT get the associated handguard from Gunparts.  its a simple arc of wood, no clips, no cutout for the sight.  Better are the fully finished handguards from S&S.

Want a Krag?  Get that cheapo sporter cowering in the corner of your local shop, and break out the sandpaper.  A dremel really helps as well.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Krag report
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 01:50:21 AM »
Sounds mighty fine, Sergeant!  Any pictures yet?  We all love drooling over the toys and goodies of our fellow shooters ....  :o
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 03:59:41 PM »
Well Jack, I've got another small piece I'm waiting on, then I'll take some before/after shots and see If I can get them posted.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:19:28 PM »

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 12:27:34 AM »
BTT for a friend.

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 10:59:04 PM »
Sgt. Drydock,

Congratulations on your Krag. I have a carbine and hope to pick up a rifle someday.

Be sure to check the bolt carefully for any cracks around the locking lug.

Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked: