Author Topic: 1873 Springfield Trapdoor Carbine Information  (Read 1516 times)

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1873 Springfield Trapdoor Carbine Information
« on: April 08, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »
Howdy.

Ran a search, but not much success.  Picked up a new one at a local gun shop (picked up not purchased) and it seemed like I had carried one all my life.

I'd really appreciate any information I can get in regards to this weapon in its new form. (Not sure who makes it, but it's not cheap.)
Things like quality, reliability, accuracy, felt recoil with factory smokeless powder and any thing else you can think of. 

After 33 years of carrying DA revolvers and DAO semi-automatics it was quite a shock to find that I have some kind of "DNA" connection with weapons built in 1873.  Haven't tried the Winchester yet.  Almost afraid to shoulder one....

Thanks,
KW
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1873 Springfield Trapdoor Carbine Information
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 06:35:32 PM »
There are numerous sites for Trapdoor rifles and carbines - and they've been well=discussed on a couple of the forums.

Type in 'trapdoor' - or even .45-70 and you should find things in the 'Historical Society', the 'Barracks', 'BROW', and 'NCOWS'.

If it's new and pricy - it's 'probably' made by Davide Pedersoli.

Harrington and Richardson made commemoratives in 1971 - I own an Officer's Rifle, and it's both quite nice and shoots well, too.

Springfield Armory (the real one) built them as a new weapon in 1873 and production improvements went on until the Model 1884.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com