Author Topic: "Gunfighter" style shooting  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
"Gunfighter" style shooting
« on: May 12, 2005, 01:24:40 PM »
Is "gunfighter" style shooting disallowed in NCOWS? I can't find anything in the By-laws about it.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Gunfighter" style shooting
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 06:27:52 PM »
There is no "Gunfighter" class in NCOWS.   When it came up for a vote it was felt that there wasn't much historical evidence that such a tactic was used.

I don't know if there is a rule like SASS has that a shooter can't have both revolvers out at the same time (unless they are competing as Gunfighter).  Someone else will have to go to the rule book and tell you. ;)

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 07:08:45 AM »
Slim,
There is nothing in the rules that would prohibit someone from shooting "Gunfighter style", i.e. with a revolver in each hand.  There is no category for doing so either.  It would be up to the individual posse to decide whether or not they wish to do it, and the shooter would have to be classified as a "Duelist" unless the posse wishes to create a separate category for their own shoots.  That is my understanding of the matter.
French Jack

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:04:58 PM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 09:20:36 AM »
First off, I am a Gunfighter in SASS:  So I an familiar with Duelist, Double Duelist, GF, etc.

At an NCOWS match 2= years ago, in the heat of an authentic firefight stage, I drew my 2nd pistol afore I was completely done shootin' the first. I was then chastized by the RO or (posse leader or whateer his title was) sayin', "You CANNOT have 2 pistols outta the holsters at once or you will be DQ'd!"
I took it as he knew what the hell he was talkin' about & I never tried it again.

What is the REAL truth (or theory) in them NCOWS rules?

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 07:28:29 PM »
As someone mentioned earlier, the stage directions usually say "draw first revolver" and then "draw second revolver."

So, whoever it was, was wrong in threatening a DQ.  The worst he could have done was call a procedural penalty.

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com