Author Topic: D-Day 65 Years ago Today  (Read 6577 times)

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
D-Day 65 Years ago Today
« on: June 06, 2009, 02:37:31 PM »
Thanks to all who laid it on the line one more time in  a hard fought war all those years ago.

more than a lifetime ago for most of us, those American's gave us the chance to grow up, raise famiiles  and be what we are today.  Free.

We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
Re: D-Day 65 Years ago Today
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 03:20:25 PM »
Blue- for the peace and justice that we strive to obtain for all
White- the purity of our cause
Red- the cost to attain it

Never forget those that have gone before us and have been laid to rest.  Maybe if we don't forget, then maybe there's hope for this country to stay proud, yet humble.  Strong, yet not oppress.  To be free and not governed.
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 04:05:33 PM »
Listened to an interview on NRANEWS.com yesterday with a veteran of the 101st Airborne, Raymond Geddes.  He parachuted in on D-Day 101st Parachute Infantry Regiment as part of Mission Albany. 
Listening to him talking about it, even at his age, is so clear, that I hope this is kept for everyone to hear and remember our history even for those youngsters(58) that weren’t there to experience it firsthand.  There are so few of these veterans that are still around that can give first hand experiences.
I think he has got to be about 85 years old.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:42:05 PM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 05:55:34 PM »
For me, it’s difficult to express my gratitude in words to the men who were part of the invasion. An attempt would be insufficient.

Thank you, boys. Thank you.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »
For me, it’s difficult to express my gratitude in words to the men who were part of the invasion. An attempt would be insufficient.

Thank you, boys. Thank you.

Arcey yer words are what I would think any of the many fought and died there would want to hear. Most of us that post here, feel the same way. We all feel the same way bout all those young men and women who have given the ultimate sacarfise since then also. Too bad there's so many more out there that don't give a damn or believe it was wrong.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 07:50:01 PM »
Unfortunately there are those who feel that History is better off sanitized.  This country was built by men and women willing to stand up for a principle and pay for it in blood if necessary.

They should never be forgotten!

Remeber those who ignore history are doomed to repeat the mistakes.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
My wish is that the latest generation have an inkling of what those men did.  They were mostly teenagers but I call them men just the same.  I want for people to realize what was done so that they can live as they do. 

Like Arcey said there aren't words to even say it all.

God bless.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 10:26:33 PM »
They sure were heroes. They knew a lot of them would not be alive by days end.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 07:56:34 AM »
I was over there fifteen years ago and visited the American cemetary.  It was truly a somber sight.  You just can't imagine how many men laid down their lives until you see all of those marble crosses and stars of David in one field.  And those were just the bodies that were laid to rest there.  Many more were brought home.

:(
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 09:15:35 AM »
Amen! We owe them a debt we can never fully repay............Buck ::) 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 10:39:11 AM »
Don’t know who may or may not be aware the memorial exists:

http://www.dday.org/
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 08:23:15 AM »
We had a gentleman who was one of the Civil Deputy's when we had a Civil Division. He was 17 when he landed on the beach with the 2nd Infantry Div. He served in the Army until WW2.  He joined the AF in 1950, just before the Korean War started. He served in the AF through the Korean War and Vietnam. He retired from the AF in 69 and came to work at the County and spent 20 years there. He was a Native American from Okla. and a true gentleman. He passed away about 10 years ago.  Our WW2 vets are in their 80s and 90s and more are passing every day.    Lest we Forget!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 08:46:16 AM »
Arcey, there was a news story on the Bedford memorial, it seems that it is in danger of falling by the wayside because they can't raise enough mony to keep it going.  They have applied for status under the National Parks fund, but said that it might take too long.  If tha Goobermint want s something worthwhile to bail out seems to me that would be the place to start.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 12:03:27 PM »
I read it, cuz. Sad. Was gonna post the link but I’m of the opinion it’s in the wrong place. I understand Bedford’s thoughts on it ‘n think a nationally funded monument would be in order. The memorial should be in or near DC I think. The entire country lost men in the invasion. Maybe the parks will take it over.

Glad ya were able to meet the man, Tex. I’m a native American too. Born in Norfolk, Virginia, USA. 

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »
My how our kin turned the tide in 1940's!!

While I hope no generation ever has to give so much again - I am concerned over the lack of desire to give to something greater than oneself in society as a whole.

Acting on behalf of the "greater good" is lost in mnay places of our society.  I have been pleased in my kids schools and local church/specialty organizations; however that is not enough by far!!!

God bless my Grandfather and Great Uncles who were truely part of the greatest generation!!!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 06:12:08 PM »
Roy was a Choctaw Indian from Oklahoma. He was a special friend and Brother Mason. I got to present him with his 25 year Masonic Pin when he was still working at the SO.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com