Author Topic: Welcome ta the Grassy Knoll--a not so stoopid thread 'bout con speer a see  (Read 48345 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Welcome ta the Grassy Knoll--a not so stoopid thread 'bout con speer a see
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
Ya'd think they'd want that in a hanger.  Do a fund raiser an build one around it right were it sits.

I need ta get ta an air museum soon, it's been too long.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2008, 11:04:01 AM »

There she is. The buildin' in the background houses many vintage airplanes.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2008, 11:23:52 AM »
That's a good shot.  Looks like it's ready ta pounce.

Ma home town had a place called The Flying Lady.  It was mostly know fer it's restuant an golf corse, but the owner was a plane nut.  He had a huge hanger built out back that was crammed full of vintage stuff.  If it's still there I need ta make a trip an get some pitchers.  He had a Spirit of St Louis that acourse couldn't have been the original, but ya'd never be able ta tell.  Got ta sit in it.  Somewhere there is a shot of young Leo wavin from the cockpit.  Have ta ask Dad if he remembers it.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2008, 12:36:18 PM »
Leo, The original one is in the Smithsonian in DC.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2008, 12:45:20 PM »
That's what I thought.  This one was done up just like the original.  I got a call out ta my buddy ta see if the place is still open.  We're going down around New Years ta visit, an if it is I'm going back.  I guess a web search wouldn't hurt either.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Prolly just me, outdated ideas ‘n too damned sentimental. I’d like ta see ‘er inside. ‘A’ shaped set of steps runnin’ up, open canopy sos ya can see inta the cockpit.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2008, 01:35:36 PM »
Naw, it aint just you, an the idea aint outdated.  It's a shame.

Here's an old link ta the place I was talkin about.  It's gone now, got converted ta a math labratory, whatever the hell that is.
These are just a few pics of what used ta be in there, some are repros but a couple originals in there too.  Wish I coulda found sometin better.

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/FlyingLady/FlyingLady.htm

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2008, 02:17:28 PM »
Thanx, Leo.

When I was shootin’ BC several of us would meet fer breakfast. She ain’t but a couple miles past the restaurant. I’d be early ‘n ride down ta look at ‘er. Don’t smoke in the truck, get out ‘n burn one. Talk to ‘er. Parkin’ lot is just out the pitcher ta the left. She’s so sad with mornin’ frost on ‘er.  Seen rain fallin’ on ‘er. Just ain’t how she should be treated.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2008, 03:13:19 PM »
They have a display of planes up at Fayetteville municipal airport, nothing too big, but it is interesting to walk through,  used to sell chemicals over in Muskogee,  hauled several barrels of cleaner over to the airport there,  some to clean aluminun  some just greasy messes, got to see back in the garage where they were rebuilding some of the planes.

http://www.arkairmuseum.org/aircraft/
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »
She’s at the Virginia Aviation Museum ‘n that’s kindah in an industrial park area on the outskirts of Richmond International. Ain’t real big either.

The Virginia Air & Space Center o’er in Hampton has more to look at ‘n some interactive stuff. Ain’t thirty minutes from here. Richmond a l’il more’n an hour.

Promised myself I was gonna see these places again when I quit. Quit six years ago. Ain’t been yet.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
Don't wanna be a downer, aint even gonna post the article.
     An F18 Hornet crashed in a subdivision in San Diego on it's way ta Miramar yesterday.  The pilot followed his training an safely ejected but the plane hit two houses.  Reports are saying an engine failed.  God bless the family of those killed and God bless the pilot and help him get through it. 

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2008, 11:22:03 PM »
Been all over the wire here and the news
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2008, 05:39:46 AM »
The pilots try and stir the aircraft toward an uninhabited area before they "punch out". Sometimes it doesn't work out.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2008, 06:46:08 AM »
Saddened o’er the loss of life. My prayers for all involved. Here, I see ‘n hear Navy jets all day. The sound is welcome as is the sight. They have to train. There have been accidents ‘n unfortunately fatalities. Heck, one buildin’ was accidentally ‘bombed’ last year. Even at that we haven’t suffered a major disaster, yet. I, for one, am thankful.

On another note. The small private museum in Pungo has gained approval to expand. The owners have a control tower, built in ’41, from England ‘n a ’39 German hangar they bought on location, had disassembled ‘n shipped here. Those are goin’ up along with a couple others.

Them boys playin’ with those old airplanes out in the strawberry fields are gonna do it right if they ain’t careful.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2008, 09:07:30 AM »
I never get tired of those Air Museums, whether they're large or small.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2008, 04:32:51 PM »
I never get tired of those Air Museums, whether they're large or small.

You ever get up this way ya need to stop at this one...... My client had their Christmas party there Thursday evening nearly 4000 employees and a handful of guest. I didn't get to see every thing I wanted to see but I definetly will go back. I tooook some pictures but need to photo bucket or link them I wasn't able to post from my file.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/UdvarHazy/

Mathew 5.9

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2008, 04:34:44 PM »
Okay it made a liar out of me...It didn't work last night

I guarded this same SR when I was in....
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2008, 05:14:29 PM »
LR, I have always wanted to visit the Smithsonian Museum and their Air Museum. I have been fortunate enough to be able to visit most of the major Air Museums in the US on my extradition trips.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
I need to get to the new SAC one 'tween Lincoln and Omaha, they also have a SR-71.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2008, 06:32:21 PM »
Del, I've been to the one at the AB at Omaha. They had a bunch of old bombers, I guess it's because of the SAC connection.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com