Author Topic: Welcome ta the Grassy Knoll--a not so stoopid thread 'bout con speer a see  (Read 48343 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Welcome ta the Grassy Knoll--a not so stoopid thread 'bout con speer a see
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 09:32:13 AM »
Moose and I toured the NASA facility south of Houston one time and I toured the NASA outfit in Huntsville, Ala. I got to take a tour inside of one the Shuttles which was interesting.  I wanna go to Charleston SC and tour the ships anchored in the harbor and tour Ft. Sumpter. I don't know which ships or how many are there other than the Yorktown.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »
went to Charleston in about 92 on a bail bond jumper,  had a few hours to kill so I went on the harbor tour,  the little boat we were on went around the harbor and ships and out by Ft. Sumpter.  took the tour on land of the land side of the harbor, was really fun.  wisht I'd had more time to take the induvidual tours.

have a friend, went through all of school with him, including college,   that works for NASA down at Cape Canaveral,  hopin one of these days to be able to go down there and take the tour, 

here's a link to him,  Dennis Chamberland, his latest underwater project is set, right now to begin in 2011 or 2012, to set a record underwater,  He has invited Jackie and I to come down to Florida, if at all possible and take the dive to the habitat and spend a night with him and his wife in the habitat.  it would be the chance of a lifetime to do something like that, hope we're able at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Chamberland
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 10:12:26 AM »
Leo, I got my Carriers mixed up the Enterprise was commissioned in 38 instead of 44. The 2nd Lexington was commissoned in 44. The first Lexington was sunk in the Battle of the Coral Sea in 42. The 2nd Lexingon was made into a Museum in Corpus Chrisit, Texas. The Hornet, the carrier that carried the 16 B 25s to bomb Tokyo was also sunk in 42 during the battle of Santa Cruz.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 10:16:35 AM »
A second USS Hornet was commisoned in 43 and was decommissoned in 70. It is anchored at Alameda, Calif. as a Museum.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 12:38:16 PM »
I remeber seeing footage of the 25s taking off from the carrier for the first time.  It was somethin.  I think they used a lot of that real footage in 30 Seconds Over Tokyo.  I'll have ta find it and look at it again.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
Leo, They reorganized the Doolittle outfit after the Raid and assigned it to the 12th AF. Dad became a member of that Squadron. and he was at Eglin Field in Florida when the Raiders were training. It was all hush hush until they left for California. He watched them take off while they were practicing to fly off the carrier deck.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 03:23:30 PM »
It's amazing they could do it at all.  The B25 is quite a bit smaller than other bombers of it's day, but it was a helluva lot bigger an heavier than a fighter.  The pucker factor as the end of the deck approached had ta be off the charts.
     Question fer ya though, did they ever try ta land one on a carrier, or were they all ground landings?  I outta know this, but don't recall.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »
As far as I know there was no attempt to land on one.  They would not be able to get back anyway, the plan was to land if possible in China beyond the Japs.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 05:57:05 PM »
I knew the original missions were set of with just enough fuel ta get ta China, just didn't know if a deck landing had ever been tried.  I can imagine one of them 25s rippin the hook right outta it's mount an plowin through the net.  Some came up short on juice or were damaged an ditched inta the sea on the way ta China.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 06:10:14 PM »
They were training on the runways at Eglin. Dad told me that they had guys on the flight with brushes with white wash. The pilots would wind the engines up with the brakes on then release the brakes. They would mark the spot where the plane took off. They kept shortening the distance till it was the length of the carrier deck. As far as I know no bomber ever landed on a carrier deck.  Several years ago, a C130 landed on a modern carrier deck in an emergency. A C130 was never designed to land on a carrier deck.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 06:14:03 PM »
They were training on the runways at Eglin. Dad told me that they had guys on the flight with brushes with white wash. The pilots would wind the engines up with the brakes on then release the brakes. They would mark the spot where the plane took off. They kept shortening the distance till it was the length of the carrier deck. As far as I know no bomber ever landed on a carrier deck.  Several years ago, a C130 landed on a modern carrier deck in an emergency. A C130 was never designed to land on a carrier deck.

And the $20 question was when they fixed it how did they get it back off. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »
That's a good question Del, A C130 can take off and land on short fields, but I don't know about a carrier deck.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 06:23:03 PM »
That's a good question Del, A C130 can take off and land on short fields, but I don't know about a carrier deck.

Well it don't have a hook for the caddy-pult, bet they had to take it to a port and use some sort of crane. ;D  Of course they could always take it apart and reassemble it on shore. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 06:27:10 PM »
They used cranes to load the B25s onto the deck of the Hornet.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 06:33:17 PM »
They used cranes to load the B25s onto the deck of the Hornet.

Depending what was wrong, I bet they also had to call NAPA for help, bet they don't stock many parts for a C-130 on a carrier. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 06:46:27 PM »
The crew that brought in the C-130 mustin been holdin their breaths.  I would imagine it stayed on board til in a safe port.  It would be neat ta see a pitcher of that settin on the deck.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »
The crew that brought in the C-130 mustin been holdin their breaths.  I would imagine it stayed on board til in a safe port.  It would be neat ta see a pitcher of that settin on the deck.

Leo

Saw a picture of an A-10 that got shot up bad in the first Gulf War, the pilot said because of the "pucker" factor the seat cusion was never found.   ;D  Bet that C-130 lost them also. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 07:05:26 PM »
There are cranes at NNSB&DD that would pluck a C-130 without breakin’ a sweat. Plop it on a barge ‘n tow it ‘cross the river to the base. Crane it up on dry land ‘n tow it to a field. Ain’t rememberin’ the base havin’ a crane high ‘nuff ta pull one off the deck.

New carriers have close to or a l’il o’er a thousand feet of flight deck ‘n a width plenty wide for a C130. Speed in excess of 30 mph, inta the wind, I’d think they could fly one off.

Speculation.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 07:11:37 PM »
There are cranes at NNSB&DD that would pluck a C-130 without breakin’ a sweat. Plop it on a barge ‘n tow it ‘cross the river to the base. Crane it up on dry land ‘n tow it to a field. Ain’t rememberin’ the base havin’ a crane high ‘nuff ta pull one off the deck.

New carriers have close to or a l’il o’er a thousand feet of flight deck ‘n a width plenty wide for a C130. Speed in excess of 30 mph, inta the wind, I’d think they could fly one off.

Speculation.

You might be right, TLD you homework is to find out how they got it off. ;D

Also when you get that done find out how they make Pringles.  Do they use an injection moulder or do they make a large sheet and use a punch press. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2008, 12:14:54 AM »
Del, everyone knows that Pringles er made at Area 51 with technology the gubberment says don't exist.
     Sheesh, pull yer head outta the sand an get with the program.

Leo

Roland Deschain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com