Author Topic: Regional Board for Canadians  (Read 23665 times)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
Regional Board for Canadians
« on: November 29, 2007, 08:36:53 PM »
Rattlesnake Jack & I have been discussing a Board for Canadians.

The leading candidate for a name is; CHINOOK COUNTRY - Cowboy Life North of The Medicine Line. 

Canada shared in the Wild West during the 19th Century, and we can share a lot of that with our Southern Pards. I was going to propose a questionaire for candidates but decided it wouldn't be fair;  How many of you know more than one definition of the word "Chinook"?  Do you know what a 26 pounder is?  Can you say "Ya but it's a dry cold - Eh!" and know what I'm talking about?  There is more...much more.

More seriously, we see this as a regional board, and the best I can do is quote Jacks PM to me earlier today;

"Sir Charles:..

I suspect that The Longbranch would be the place to start, with a "Calling All Canadians"-type of message canvassing for interest.  Maybe also a short message in a few other forums (e.g. historical, the Barracks) linking to that main discussion. A Private Message to each of the Canadian members that we know of, also?

My concept of forum format (which, as you say, would likely be in the "Regional" category) would be for it to encompass Canadian subjects in general - i.e. relevant Canadian shooting activities and events, together with historical matters, etc.  Is that what you have in mind, also?

In that regard,  "CHINOOK COUNTRY" would likely be the primary title, and the supplementary byline description could be adjusted or expanded as we see fit .... e.g. "Frontier Action Shooting, Cowboy Life and Western History ... North of the Medicine Line", or whatever. 

(I've come to really like "Frontier Action Shooting" ... as used in the GAF context, for example ... to describe our activities, because it goes beyond the implied "cowboy" limitation to encompass other walks of life, and to incorporate the frontier areas of more than just North America - i.e. Australia, Africa, etc.   Besides, "Cowboy Action Shooting" is a registered trademark of SASS"
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Regional Board for Canadians
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 09:02:40 PM »
Sounds interesting, count me in.  When I'm not doing anything else, my other hobby is Western North American history (both sides of the border) and the US Civil War.

Just as an aside we are scheduled for a "Chinook" on Monday.

Another Canadianism.....Large double double :D :D

Cheers!
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 09:02:52 PM »
Sir C
I'm a way out here on the East Coast but here if you need me , eh.
Cowboy Action Shooting is really catching on here , with a lot of the black powder boys taking up the trade so to speak .
So count me in .
 Keep in touch. You can PM me at anytime .
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:00:00 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Another entrance test would be to sing ANY line from "Barrett's Privateers"

Loudly, under the effects of REAL beer!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:36:30 PM »
Yes I'm sure there are other Canucks out there ... for that matter, we would certainly welcome anyone who would like to participate!

As you likely know "Chinook" is the name given to the warm dry winds which moderate the winter temperatures on the southwestern Canadian prairie ... caused by air from the Pacific being forced up over the successive mountain ranges, causing the loss of all or most of its moisture and warming it in the process.  So when it spills over the last barrier - i.e. the Rocky Mountains - it becomes a strong warming and drying wind which helps keep the prairie free of snow, thus making it ideal winter grazing range.

As I indicated to Sir Charles during our discussions, my first thought was that "Chinook Country" might be considered too localized - being usually taken to refer to southern Alberta.  Admittedly that area was the center of early Canadian ranching and "Wild West" history, but there was also a very strong early stock-raising industry in the British Columbia Interior.  Then it dawned on me that they probalbly get this type of winds also - and, upon checking, I discovered that they do also experience them and call them Chinooks.  What's more, the effect of Prairie chinooks is felt well into Saskatchewan ... so "Chinook Country" would, indeed, seem to be an excellent name for the entire early Canadian western ranching region ...   ;D

Now I have a proposal for the symbol to be displayed on our new Regional Forum, if it comes to fruition -

This is a representation of the Canadian Red Ensign in its most common form during our period of greatest western expansion and settlement - i.e.  following the admission as Provinces of British Columbia (1870) and Prince Edward Island (1873) but prior to creation of Alberta and Sakatchewan in 1905.  (Canada had no official National Coat of Arms until the 1920's, so the insignia on the fly of the Ensign was specified to be the shield of the Great Seal of Canada - which incorporated the Arms of each of the constituent Provinces, and thus changed whenever a new Province was admitted to Confederation.)

Mind you, if residents of Alberta and Saskatchewan would be overly miffed by the use of this flag, I suppose we could use the version adopted in 1907 (there was a delay because it took Alberta that long to decide on a Coat of Arms) ... though arguably this version is "too late" in a historical sense -

Also, notice how "cluttered" the shield has become, with elements from the arms of all nine Proivinces in Confederation by then ...
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:44:59 PM »
On your Red Ensign

Nova Scotia  ;)
I know we 're considered adrift but ....
Thanks

"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 10:47:47 PM »

And the other version - "Garnet's Home Made Beer"

Oh, the year was Nineteen Seventy-eight
(How I wish I'd never tried it now)
When a score of men were turned quite green
By the scummiest ale you've ever seen

CHORUS:
God damn them all, I was told
This beer was worth its weight in gold
We'd feel no pain, shed no tears
But it's a foolish man who shows no fear
At a glass of Garnet's home-made beer

Oh, Garnet Rogers cried the town
For twenty brave men, all masochists who
Would taste for him his home-made brew

This motley crew was a sickening sight
There was caveman Dave with his eyes in bags
He'd a hard-boiled liver and the staggers and jags

Well we hadn't been there but an hour or two
When a voice said: Gimme some home-made brew
And Steeleye Stan hove into view

Now Steeleye Stan was a frightening man
He was eight feet tall and four feet wide
He said: Pass that jug or I'll tan your hide

Stan took one sip and pitched on his side
Garnet was smashed with a gut full of dregs
And his breath set fire to both me legs

So here I lay in me twenty-third beer
It's been ten years since I felt this way
On the night before my wedding day

Having earned my living across flying a helicopter across northern Canada, loving salmon, and knowing which way the wind blows, I guess Chinook will work.  Gotta go plug in my block heater.  May be back later after I check the two-four for another brown pop.

A flatlander Canuck from just north of Batoche, Skatchwn
Icebox Bob

Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 10:48:45 PM »

"I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier'

and that would be a pint of Keith's if you please .
Best wishes
Dutchie

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 10:54:58 PM »
Icebox,
A great song , thanks for sharing .. Stan Rogers would be proud of yea .

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 11:09:32 PM »
Stan Rogers = The voice lives on - http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo6Lu4vskmg&feature=related
A son to make a father proud !!
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 12:08:55 AM »
On your Red Ensign ....
Nova Scotia  ;)
I know we 're considered adrift but ....
Thanks
???    Don't quite follow what you are saying, Dutchie ....   

Nova Scotia was one of the original four Colonies to enter Confederation in 1867, so its Arms were always a component of the shield on the Ensign ... right from when the first version was adopted (in 1868, IIRC ...)
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 02:33:27 AM »
Sorry ,my apologies . I was looking for our correct arms . Realize my mistake , the shield carries the 'salmon'
Forgive my error.
Thanks
Dutchie

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Nine Toe Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 678, SAWWS, WARTHOG, GOFWG, GAF
    • ninetoejim
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 06:39:10 AM »
it's 26 C  below zero this morning here in Northern Manitoba. This sure isn't chinook country but count me in HAW!

Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill
WARTHOG, SASS 678, GOFWG, GAF, Quigley Shooter

Offline Haggis MacGurk

• Apprentice Maker of Big Sooty Clouds
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 08:00:56 AM »
Barrett's Privateers is indeed a classic song, which I am proud to say that I have sung at the top of my lungs on several occasions, the most notable instance of this while wearing a blue beret, standing next to a backyard still pumping out a plum brandy called Slivovitz, while a bunch of bemused Croats watched the show. This happened in the early 90's, so I can talk about it now without fear of retribution.(all my bosses from back then are retired now)

My current favorite 'loud' song is Last Saskatchewan Pirate. 'stealin' wheat and barley....and all the other grains....

Chinook Country sounds good, as I'm here in Edmonton waiting for a Chinook, and preparing to jump out of a Chinook(the twin rotor kind) in the states next week.

For any followers of military history in the 20th century, next week is when we in the paratrooper community celebrate Menton Days with our American brothers-in-arms. It's the anniversary of the disbandment of the First Special Service Force, in Menton, France, at the end of the Second World War. For those not in the know, the Special Service Force was a joint American/Canadian special forces unit that the Nazis dubbed The Devils Brigade.

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 08:18:35 AM »
Best of luck with the celebrations.
 Enjoy . Looks like we have quite a variety here
A few years back I was stationed at  local and made an acquaintance of  chap who fought with he Brigade in Italy during WW2 , he was Canadian para  . I take my hat off to those guys..in fact to anyone who would jump out of a perfectly good aircraft ::)

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 09:18:14 AM »
I was stationed at CFB Moose Jaw, 1975-80 and the locals used to say that the "Chinook" ended at Belle Plaine, Saskatchewan. Belle Plaine is about half the 40 mile distance between Moose Jaw and Regina. 

We in Moose Jaw, would be thinking about mowing the lawn and the people in Regina were still shoveling snow.   :) :)
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 10:32:57 AM »
it's 26 C  below zero this morning here in Northern Manitoba. This sure isn't chinook country but count me in HAW!

Heck, Jim ... it's 20 C below zero here in "Chinook Country", so you ain't too bad off!   :-[

Besides, Old Timer, anyone who lives in Flin Flon is just gettin' what they deserve, weatherwise, no matter what the conditions are.   ;D

Welcome!  Can we make you the official forum weather gauge?  (As in: "If Jim has thawed out, we know Spring has definitely arrived!"  ;)  )

Offline okotoks

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 10:45:28 AM »
Chinook Country is a great name for a Canadian Board. 

I spent most of my early life back in the ‘60’s on horseback. When it was -20 to -40 below, I spent a lot of time praying for a Chinook so I didn’t have to ride out and chop holes in the ice so the cattle could drink. Back then, Alberta had real winters, and that warm west wind would occasionally blow the frigid air all the way back to southern Saskatchewan.  I often saw the temperature change from -20 to +60 in a couple of hours. (degrees Fahrenheit back then).  Of course, it could go the other way just as quickly too.

I would love to shoot in some of the regional events, if I can get my guns and ammo across the border and through the Canadian bureaucracy. 

I try and get to the Calgary Stampede every other year or so.

Many of the notorious Montana villains in the “Big Muddy” area , stole horses from there and sold them in Canada, and vice versa.     

CM Russell painted his piece “Waiting for a Chinook” while working on a ranch in Longview, Alberta

I spent most of my early life back in the ‘60’s on horseback. When it was -20 to -40 below, I spent a lot of time praying for a Chinook so I didn’t have to ride out and chop holes in the ice so the cattle could drink. Back then, Alberta had real winters, and that warm west wind would occasionally blow the frigid air all the way back to southern Saskatchewan.  I often saw the temperature change from -20 to +60 in a couple of hours. (degrees Fahrenheit back then).  Of course, it could go the other way just as quickly too.

I would love to shoot in some of the regional events, if I can get my guns and ammo across the border and through the Canadian bureaucracy. 

Many of the notorious Montana villains in the “Big Muddy” area , stole horses from there and sold them in Canada, and vice versa.     

CM Russell painted his piece “Waiting for a Chinook” while working on a ranch in Longview, Alberta

Offline Nine Toe Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 678, SAWWS, WARTHOG, GOFWG, GAF
    • ninetoejim
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 10:56:12 AM »
Hey Rattlesnake,

I'll be your weather indicator but I'll warn you now that I don't thaw out until the first of June. I've also spent a few times at the end of May in Medicine Hat and I sure didn't thaw out there. I had to come back north to do that HAW!

NTJ

Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill
WARTHOG, SASS 678, GOFWG, GAF, Quigley Shooter

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 11:07:53 AM »
Howdy and Welcome, "Big Rock"! 

I'm sure you'll know what I mean by that greeting, but for the benefit of others: the town of Okotoks, Alberta, takes its name from the Blackfoot "o'kotok" (Big Rock),  which refers to the world's largest "glacial erratic" (boulder transported to a non-mountainous location by glacial activity) which stands near the town, and was used by the Blackfoot (the Canadian term for 'Blackfeet') Indians as a landmark for finding a crossing on the Sheep River.

Originally a single stone mass, erosive wasting in relatively recent times has reduced it to what you see below - though the remnants still stand almost 30 feet above the surrounding prairie:

Oh .... perhaps I should also mention that one of the most popular lines of beers and ales in Alberta and the rest of western Canada is produced by the Big Rock Brewery, which takes its name from this formation!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com