Author Topic: Black powder frame screw vs cross pin  (Read 5405 times)

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Black powder frame screw vs cross pin
« on: March 16, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »
Hello fine gents

Just out of curiosity and since not too many cowboys keep talking lately, I'd like to bring out another topic which I'm sure came out earlier.
What are some advantages/disadventages of having one or the other black powder/old frame screw and cross pin to remove cylinder?
Thank You

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Black powder frame screw vs cross pin
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 10:27:49 PM »
There is only one advantage, you can remove the base pin by just pressing the spring loaded cross pin.  Disadvantage of the old style, you need a screw driver to remove it and it is much easier to lose if it wiggles loose and falls out.  Other than that, it's just looks and what you like.

Offline Joe Lafives

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 11:42:15 PM »
What Larsen said!
SASS 5481L

"Chewing gum online,  I hope you brought enough for everybody."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:56:33 PM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 09:28:15 AM »
And you won't bugger up the cross pin with a poor fitting screwdriver.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »
The above comments are very valid for modern-made guns. Original Colt's single actions with the spring-loaded cross pin may or MAY NOT be proofed for smokeless powder. Although some people refer to the screw retainer style as "black powder" frames, and the cross-pin as "smokeless", in fact Colt's did NOT warrant their SA's for smokeless until about 1901! Check the serial number range and refer to Kopec's book or similar reference for the manufacturing date and smokeless warrantee statement on ORIGINAL Colt's Single Actions.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »
Well, mine is the EMF Hartford. So i guess there shouldn't be no issues with screw falling off since it's made to shoot smokeless.
Both frames are good looking though. Btw, aren't bp frames supposed to be used in western movies?

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 09:06:04 AM »
Well, mine is the EMF Hartford. So i guess there shouldn't be no issues with screw falling off since it's made to shoot smokeless.

Well I would not take it that far.  Being modern will not stop that screw from falling out.  Truth is I have a Uberti Cattleman and the cross pin has a tendency to become loose.  If a person does not check the screws and cross pins they might be in search of a replacement.  Just a few weeks ago at a competition I had the ejector rod housing fall off a Uberti.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 09:18:50 AM »
When a cross pin comes apart while shooting you have to replace three parts. Had that happen.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 12:42:23 PM »
What are some advantages/disadventages of having one or the other black powder/old frame screw and cross pin to remove cylinder?
IMHO, it is a question of authenticity if you have that mindset. Unless your character/impression is late 1890's the frame screw models are your only choice. If you are unconcerned with that aspect, the cross pin models are easier when it time to clean. I have both versions and there is no difference in terms of functionality etc.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline Rebel Dave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »
I have had cross pins with week springs, that will  let the cylinder pin (base pin I think it's called) come loose, and booger up the cylinder. Luckily I caught it before the pin backed out to far. SO... if the screw is tight it won't let the base pin back out. On the other hand you should make sure you're cross pin has a strong spring in it. I was shooting my 44-40 with 30 grns of 3F  when it came loose. :o .

Rebel Dave

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »
Hi Rebel Dave,
I have had the same problem with my .44-40 Pietta GW2.
Where did you find a stronger spring ?
Thanks
sail32

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com