Author Topic: Gunsmith Required Or Not????  (Read 4735 times)

Offline Deke Slayton

• SASS# 84986
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gunsmith Required Or Not????
« on: October 25, 2009, 02:48:29 PM »
Howdy,

Just joined with my SASS alias, so I'lll be gettin rid of my old login address shortly,

I have a question ??? about whether or not to use a gunsmith.....Problem is my Charles Daly SAA has lost the front sight,
jest fell out o' the slot.  I got the sight, now what is the right way ta attach it back, the sight fits tight in the slot,
so please give me an idea if I can attach it myself and how. I am pretty handy with things, made a whole bunch of things
that turned out pretty good--I put together an ol model 97 from scratch with no instructions, jest parts in a bag, made
a cue stick from a walnut block of wood, and I am not afraid to tackle anythin.  But to do this right, I will take it to a gunsmith
if need be, or send it to Ol' Charles to take care of?????

I really do need some help on this un

Thanks,

Deke Slayton ( used to be nobody )

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Gunsmith Required Or Not????
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
Take it to a gunsmith or to a jeweler whose repairman can silver-solder 'neatly' .

It'll be the easiest thing and shouldn't take much time at all.

If you decide upon a jeweler - 'ask' before you drag the piece in with you.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »
Great advise on both counts ... I imagine it would make a jeweler a bit uneasy to see a man walk in with a shotgun ... he might give a chilly welcome to say the least.

If ever I need to take a weapon into ANY type of shop, I call ahead, get the person's name that I am talking with, and then ask for that person whin I enter the store.

I also announce that I have a weapon that I have brought in for repair (or whatever) as soon as I enter .....

I have no desire to be an accident ......*S*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:37:48 AM »

Offline Deke Slayton

• SASS# 84986
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 05:50:50 PM »
Hey, Thanks Fellas,

Really good advice, I never thought about a jeweler, hopefully find one close enogh to help.

Thanks again,

Deke

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »
Another option -- though not a "typical" one -- is to use Loktite Blue to secure the sight in the slot.  I had to do an immediate field-expedient reattachment of the front sight on a Pietta '51 Colt Navy.  I cleaned the sight and attachment point thoroughly, applied just a dot of Loktite Blue, and allowed it to dry overnight.

Now, seven years later, its still securely attached.

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 04:54:44 AM »
an immediate field-expedient reattachment

Daniel, I absolutely love that expression,,,,not bad English for an uneducated savage from the wilderness!! ;D

AE (who would have called it "a bodge job", if he had done it!!)

Glad to see you are still posting!
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 11:39:39 AM »
not bad English for an uneducated savage from the wilderness!! ;D

Unnnnh, who say Daniel not educated???  You not careful, may lose topknot...  ;)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »
Daniel,

I actually have a Pietta '51 Colt with a missing front sight ... but since it is going to be a 'holster queen' (bought it to wear as a docent), I was not too worried about it ....

But your suggestion of locktite blue has me thinking ... the cost of the front sight is cheap, and locktite is not that hard to work with .....

Hmmmmmmm
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »
Too late Daniel!!!!

Mother Nature beat you to it!! :-\ 
                  Or it could have been that rough old headboard when I was younger!! ;)
                                          Or that strange beret, the British Army made me wear all the time!! :'(
                                                                    Or that time the missus handscalped me for answering back!! ::)
AE ;D
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Deke Slayton

• SASS# 84986
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 03:23:34 PM »
Well fellas it looks like the 'Scotsman' in my blood is showing through, LocTite Blue is a lot cheaper than a Jeweler and after running about 20 38's and 5 357's through it, I came home and picked it up by the sight, held like a champion, I gotta thank that
Savage(as Angel Eyes called him),

THANKS DANIEL, IT SEEMS LIKE A GREAT FIX!!!!

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 06:58:17 PM »
Well fellas it looks like the 'Scotsman' in my blood is showing through, LocTite Blue is a lot cheaper than a Jeweler and after running about 20 38's and 5 357's through it, I came home and picked it up by the sight, held like a champion, I gotta thank that
Savage(as Angel Eyes called him),

THANKS DANIEL, IT SEEMS LIKE A GREAT FIX!!!!

Glad to hear it worked for ya.  Actually, I'm only half savage.  The other half is composed of equal shares of Scots-Irish and German.  Oh, well, at least they're all tribal...

;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com