Author Topic: Really noticing my Henry smoothing out with more use.  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Peter M. Eick

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Really noticing my Henry smoothing out with more use.
« on: May 08, 2009, 05:50:01 PM »
As I continue to blast away with my Cimarron Henry Iron Frame, I have noticed that it is definitely getting smoother and easier to cock.  I have noticed a couple of quirks that I am curious if you all had seen this before.

1) When you slow stroke the lever off the bench, and if you don't squeeze the lever completely closed, the trigger has a "hitch" that as you squeeze it, the hammer drops about 1/8th of an inch before it drops completely.  Sort of a 1/2 cock situation.  I can make it go away if I completely stroke the lever all the way forward then all of the way back.

2) I definitely notice a change in the point of impact as I reduce rounds in the tube and I shoot off the bench.  It seems like the weight changes and the POI changes.  Any solution?

3) Final is more of a question.  I am shooting trailboss with lead bullets.  I have never once taken the side plates off or anything else.  I am over 1000 rnds fired now.  How often should I think about doing this.

Take care.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Really noticing my Henry smoothing out with more use.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 08:15:25 PM »
If you are shoooting smokeless, you might look inside a few times a year, but you should have removed the sideplates when new to check it and lubricate the links etc.  I use white Lithium grease on the links and pivots.

You didn't mention the caliber.  If it is a 45 or 38 straight case, then check the extractor for blowback debris under it, if there is blowback stain on your brass.  Crud built up under the extractor will lift it over time and eventually give extraction problems.

A 44-40 has much less blowback into the action, and is best for that reason if you are using black powder loads.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:54:15 PM »
FWIW, I could never get a Henry to shoot worth a damn off the bench as the lack of a forearm & the integral magazine tube directly on sandbags wreaks havoc with barrel harmonics. You have to put the sandbags under the receiver or hold steady & shoot it offhand.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:03:59 AM »

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 01:07:37 AM »
Maybe a problem off a sandbag, Fox, but off the hand, it seems a mite more accurate than the 66 or 73, I think that heavy, rigid barrel is more stable than the 66 and 73 barrels with their wood and magazine hanging off them.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Peter M. Eick

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 07:21:58 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

I thought that I had read that the screws that hold the lever in are super torqued on.  Is there any tips or am I just be cautious?  I normally don't take apart guns unless I "have" to.  I have good quality tools and screwdrivers from Brownells and Midway, just I am cautious.

On shooting off the bench, yes the bags are an issue.  I find that the number of rounds also matters.  I have yet to perfect my technique but I am starting to conclude that you need a hand between the bag and the barrel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com