Author Topic: Modifying the front sight  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Cookie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Modifying the front sight
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:50:18 AM »
I've got a pair of Pietta NMA's w/ the 5.5" barrel. And I love the feel of them much better than the full length version, especially on the draw.

However, trying to find the sight is a bit of a pain when I'm on the clock. Are there CAS legal / historically accurate ways to make the front blade more visible? Well, I'm sure there are, but do they help? Or is it just a case of practice, practice, practice?

Offline ZVP

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Modifying the front sight
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:36:39 PM »
 It depends on where you want to zero your POI.
 I chose to set my 5 1/2" at 7 yards. The ball hits right at the top of the sight picture.
 Per FBI statistics most gunfights occur at this distance and I figured that if I was going to set up a gunfighters gun I should settle on a gunfight distance.
 I load 30-35 grains of Black Powder and a Greased Wad atop it. .451 or .454 lead balls and Remington #11 Caps.
 I filed the front sight to regulate this setting. I then blacked it out (and keep blacking it) with a Perminant marker. I removed less than 3/32 of metal from the post and had to do NO modifications to the rear (It is perfectlly centered).
 Picking up the sights seems to be no problem for me, (even against a large black bullseye) and maybe you should try to black out the sights as I did?
 I'm almost sure that the 5 1/2" barrel length is SASS Legal. The rule states any barrel length.
 I agree that the Sheriff's Model does handle better than a full size Army Revolver. It draws and points more positivelly.and power is not affected.
 Good choice
 Leintower

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 08:24:46 PM »
Didn't the NMA have a brass pin sight?  Make a slightly larger pin, polish it up bright and then file it down a bit at a time until it hits when it's supposed to.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:41:55 AM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 08:26:35 PM »
Didn't the NMA have a brass pin sight?  Make a slightly larger pin, polish it up bright and then file it down a bit at a time until it hits when it's supposed to.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 07:47:49 AM »
If it hits high, what I did was find a long straight slot screwdriver bit, cut the shank to the desired length. I removed the original sight, it was soldered. After measureing the seat for the sight and the diameter of the sight shank, I got the shank down to about .002 larger than the seat. I froze the sight in liquid nitrogen, seated it and once warm again, it was locked in tight..
  The problem for me was always finding a tall enough sight, the screwdriver bit works great.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com