Author Topic: Firearms Shipping  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Russell40

• Ten Killer
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Firearms Shipping
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:35:07 PM »
I was shocked and dismayed today when I went to FedEx too ship a pistol. I sold it on GunBroker too further my gun funds for CAS. I (by mistake) listed shipping at $35.00 plus insurance. Dang!!!! It cost me $79.00 dollars too ship it over night :o. What tha heck???? The UPS shipping office here wont ship firearms. So what is a person too do?
Retired Texas LEO
NRA Life
U.S.Army Veteran
OEF/OIF Veteran

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Firearms Shipping
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 03:17:36 PM »
Here's a listing for shipping options.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1118

I would list that buyer pays actual shipping costs and the shipping options that I have available to me and let them choose.  I would also probably add that the buyer should choose to insure the shipment because once shipped I would no longer assume responsibility for the item.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Russell40

• Ten Killer
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:10:25 PM »
I guess it's just been a while since I last shipped a pistol. I just thought that 79.00 dollars! I felt like one of those "spoild doves" that didnt get a kiss.
I based my shipping on what I saw others charging (I wont do that again). Did I mention how much I despise our local UPS shipping center >:(.  They freak when you take a weapon in to be shipped and have lately just refused to ship anything remotely considered a weapon.
Thanks!
Retired Texas LEO
NRA Life
U.S.Army Veteran
OEF/OIF Veteran

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:58:47 PM »

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:25:31 PM »
I just shipped two guns to a gunsmith via UPS and the total cost was $47.00.

The UPS store couldn't ship for me but the main UPS distribution center could. 
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Russell40

• Ten Killer
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:34:25 AM »
The main UPS hub for me is 40+ miles away. Looks like I'll be driving.
Retired Texas LEO
NRA Life
U.S.Army Veteran
OEF/OIF Veteran

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:36:32 PM »
I was shocked and dismayed today when I went to FedEx too ship a pistol. I sold it on GunBroker too further my gun funds for CAS. I (by mistake) listed shipping at $35.00 plus insurance. Dang!!!! It cost me $79.00 dollars too ship it over night :o. What tha heck???? The UPS shipping office here wont ship firearms. So what is a person too do?

Since you shipped a handgun, it went to an FFL dealer (right?)  If you took it to your FFL, he could ship a handgun for about $25 or less plus his cost (maybe $25 - $40).  You could save some.  Handguns always go Post Office and ffl to avoid what you experienced.  Make friends with your local FFL. ;)

MJJ

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:27:31 PM »
The law is that you don't need an FL to send your own gun(s) to a gunsmith or the factory.  But I see your point about the cost of the FL. From what I've been told, the postal service will not ship guns at all. You have to use a service like UPS that will take responsibility with guns. I'm not sure about Fedex doing it.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:31:08 AM »
Yes, you can ship long guns by USPS.  But not handguns, unless you are an FFL.

UPS and FedEx force you to pay Next Day charges for handguns.  But it is not a Fed requirement.  It is because they (say) that they do not want handguns sitting in their depots.  They get pilfered there.  They want counter-driver-customer speed.  At least that's what they say.

AND IT COSTS MORE!!!

Mustang Gregg [FFL]
Wild West Arms
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 05:44:54 AM »
Yes, you can ship long guns by USPS.  But not handguns, unless you are an FFL.

UPS and FedEx force you to pay Next Day charges for handguns.  But it is not a Fed requirement.  It is because they (say) that they do not want handguns sitting in their depots.  They get pilfered there.  They want counter-driver-customer speed.  At least that's what they say.

AND IT COSTS MORE!!!

Mustang Gregg [FFL]
Wild West Arms

There is Form the receiving FFL must send you with his FFL # ,  DBA Address & his Signature , with this in hand (yours) , a copy inside the package and a copy for the Post Office Clerk ( thats 3 copies)....
That's the instructions I got from my USPS Branch, pryor to and when they accepted a pistol being sent to the FFL.
Cost was $ 6.90 , the express mail box ( "if it fits, it ships" slogan ) included delivery conformation.

This is the same service a shipping FFL uses ( except he is charging you for his time )
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com