Author Topic: Trooper MK-V  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Trooper MK-V
« on: June 06, 2010, 01:54:04 PM »
I bought it back around 1983.  I was actually wanting a Python.  They wanted $750 for the six inch barrelled Python, nickle plated.  No small chunk of change even measured in obama-dollars.  Hell in '83 it was a month's wages for me.  I noticed in the display case a 4 inch, blued Colt that looked like the Python and asked to examine it.  It was a Trooper MK-V.  I asked about it and was told it was the improved version of the MK-III, which had alreadly been out for a few years.  The gun shop salesman said internally it was similar to the Python, just not as well fitted.   ???  Anyhow, with a price tag around $350 I decided to buy it.  A few years later that little thingy that sticks up out of the side plate that prevents the cyliner from riding up the ejector rod when it's pushed to eject the empty brass got worn down or something and had to be replaced.  It's worked fine since then, but the ham-handed gunsmith who worked on it dinged up the side plate somehow.  Maybe he pounded the side plate back on with a metal hammer or something.   :o ??? :'(

Other than that it's in fine shape.  I carried it for years for personal defense and bummed around in the dessert with it when I lived in Az.  When ever I wasn't wearing a 1911, I had that Trooper strapped on.  It's got a little holster wear showing on the finish but it shoots real good... very accurate with pretty much any ammo I feed it.  These days I carry my Alaskan for self defense but often carry the Trooper as a back-up gun.  I fitted  some nice stag horn grips on it and even mounted Colt medalions in the grips.   8)  Its the best 357 magnum I've ever owned which is why it is the one I still own.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Trooper MK-V
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 12:14:13 PM »
Yes Sir-the Trooper models I think were one of the best double-action revolvers made by any manufacturer. I have a Mark III, which is one-step behind the Mark V in the development of the gun. Think the only main difference was in how long the hammer arc was. They shortened it up in the Mark V. I'd have to go back and reread old magazines or the yearly Colt Catalog for any other changes, although if there was any, it was pretty minor i think. I carried mine for most of the 21 yrs I wore a badge, check out 'Favorite Duty Gun' page 5 in the Bold Chambers for more info on it, I customized it after carrying it for several years. I think if Colt had had a better marketing program (up to the par of S&W's) it would have been more popular and seen more duty use by Police Officers. Back in it's day, I think it was a better shooter than Smiths Mod 66 which was a big seller until the Smith 686 came along(I had to carry a '66 for a couple of years). I could double 'tap' a full 'wheel' of duty 357 140 grainers into center mass at 10-15 yds with my Trooper and ya could cover all six with yer hand-the lighter Smith 66 was more recoil sensitive. Not braggin, but pointing out that there is a price to pay when taking weight from a guns mass. Colt should still be makin 'em, but Colt should have done alot of things differently.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com