Author Topic: Single Action Reloading on the Clock  (Read 12249 times)

1961MJS

Single Action Reloading on the Clock
« on: March 16, 2013, 11:56:15 PM »
Hi

I'm looking for a little help.  Its my understanding that in shooting a Working Cowboy, I might be required to reload on the clock.  What's the quickest and safest way to accomplish this on a Colt or Remington Single Action?

Thanks

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Single Action Reloading on the Clock
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 06:00:09 AM »
Yes, reloads can be required, but they are rare.  Very rare. More commonly, you'll see stage writers have you add a 6th bullet on the clock.

There is no "fast" way to reload a gate loaded cartridge revolver.  When the occasional full reload has been written into a stage, that gives a huge mechanical advantage to the S&W top-break shooters.  For ths reason, and the fact that it just plain slows down the mach, you will rarely see a full reload required.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
On knock down rack for handguns I always allow rloading for working cowboy. Open the gate add the single round in the empty chamber, then rotate four clicks. This will bring the loaded round up on the cock. Most all our stages on pistol rack knock downs allow you to use both revolvers then dump the remaing rounds in a dump target. I felt that having 10 rounds to knock down 5 targets, the working cowboy should be allowed to reload.  Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:13:04 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 09:47:01 AM »
Revolver in right hand in normal shooting grip, Barrel elevated.  Half cock and flip open loading gate with right thumb.  Lay your left hand alongside the revolver, with your 2nd finger on the ejector, and your palm against the cylinder.  Punch out the empties, using your left palm to advance the cylinder.  Grab a handful of cartridges with your left hand from a pouch, while rotating the revolver flat on its left side and barrel down, so that the gate trough makes a slide into the cylinder.  Drop 5 rounds in, close gate, full cock and fire.  Practice!   Its faster than you think!  Note that revolver never leaves the shooting hand, remaining in the shooting grip.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:25:28 AM »
Drydock;  I will practice that 8)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 11:23:37 AM »
Yes, reloads can be required, but they are rare.  Very rare. More commonly, you'll see stage writers have you add a 6th bullet on the clock.

There is no "fast" way to reload a gate loaded cartridge revolver.  When the occasional full reload has been written into a stage, that gives a huge mechanical advantage to the S&W top-break shooters.  For ths reason, and the fact that it just plain slows down the mach, you will rarely see a full reload required.

You never saw Rodd Redwing or Thell Reed Jr, do it.    Not as fast a slapping in a fresh magazine, but almost.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

1961MJS

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 10:23:41 PM »
Revolver in right hand in normal shooting grip, Barrel elevated.  Half cock and flip open loading gate with right thumb.  Lay your left hand alongside the revolver, with your 2nd finger on the ejector, and your palm against the cylinder.  Punch out the empties, using your left palm to advance the cylinder.  Grab a handful of cartridges with your left hand from a pouch, while rotating the revolver flat on its left side and barrel down, so that the gate trough makes a slide into the cylinder.  Drop 5 rounds in, close gate, full cock and fire.  Practice!   Its faster than you think!  Note that revolver never leaves the shooting hand, remaining in the shooting grip.

Thanks Drydock, sounds reasonable.  I was probably worrying too much about catching the old brass being a reloader and all.  I also like the part where I don't have to loose the shooting grip.

Thanks again.

Mike

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »
Yeah, we do a lot of reloads in GAF.  Though a Schofield is theoriticaly faster, target aquisition and cycle time are slower, and if you're in a bp class, the SAA wins hand down.  Great fun!

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 04:20:21 PM »
Drydock, The top breaks do not handle black very well. Won't rotate after just a few rounds. At least that has been my case. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »
Are you going to shoot a match in the near future ? or is the plan to prepare for a future match ? How many matches have you shot in ? You can practice at home unloading and loading . It might be a good idea to load you 5 dummy rounds ( no primer ) to practice loading with . It's always good to familiarize with your weapons , but honestly we don't reload very often . Seems like everyone wants to run out and buy a schofield when you do . Good luck and happy shooting .

Offline Ima Sure Shot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 05:44:22 PM »
Also be aware of the direction and angle of the barrel as some will be quick to put a safety violation on you. Celeste

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 08:45:41 PM »
Yep TJ, thats pretty much what I meant . . .

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 10:45:28 PM »
My target acquisition is slow no matter what gun I'm using ???  :-[
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Gloucestre

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 04:45:38 AM »
Just thinking laterally here:
Using a 1875 Remington, would it be within the rules to remove the cylinder, dump the empties, load the cylinder in your hand and replace it and advance it to the empty cylinder on half cock?

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 06:03:45 AM »
Don't know if it would be within the rules or not, but to me it doesn't sound faster than the usual way. Especially if you end up with a few cases that don't just fall out, and need to be poked out with something.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 07:26:44 AM »
After you've dumped your cases, just load with five without skipping a chamber and you'll automatically be ready to cock bringing the first loaded chamber under the hammer.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

1961MJS

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 11:19:34 AM »
Are you going to shoot a match in the near future ? or is the plan to prepare for a future match ? How many matches have you shot in ? You can practice at home unloading and loading . It might be a good idea to load you 5 dummy rounds ( no primer ) to practice loading with . It's always good to familiarize with your weapons , but honestly we don't reload very often . Seems like everyone wants to run out and buy a schofield when you do . Good luck and happy shooting .

Hi Rowdy  I'll go through the list here:

Are you going to shoot a match in the near future ?  No, I'll probably shot the new SAA, 1982, and Spartan as much as possible this year.  I need to work up good loads for .45 LC.  I'd like to get 5 pounds of Trail Boss, but haven't gotten any yet.  I have several pounds of Tite Group which I may use.

or is the plan to prepare for a future match ?  I'm preparing for future matches.  I live 50 miles from OKC Gun Club in Arcadia and they shoot SASS.  I'm also close enough to the Kansas Vigilance committee to shoot with them also.

How many matches have you shot in ?  I haven't shot in any, but I've been out to watch a couple at OKC.

You can practice at home unloading and loading . It might be a good idea to load you 5 dummy rounds ( no primer ) to practice loading with . I have a set of six (only need five) A-Zoom .45 LC rounds, I can't make dummies  with a real lead bullet yet because I don't have the parts for the Dillon.  I've been shooting Bullseye Pistol for about 10 years.  I've been living in either Kansas or Oklahoma for the past 25 years and thought I should really start playing cowboy.  So far I have 50 rounds though both the SAA and the lever action.

Thanks

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 01:29:17 PM »
1961MJS, Titegroup works good in 45 colt loads. I've used it and Trail Boss and off sandbags the Titegroup may have the edge on accuracy in my guns.

That said I generally use Trail Boss for it's case filling capacity but if you already have Titegroup I would use it.

Also I have found there is a little trick to loading Trail Boss on a Dillion. Even though you will be loading 6 grains or less the large powder bar works better because of the powder is so light and bulky. The small charge bar that you would normally use for under 20 grains has to be opened all the way to load around 5.5 grains and it winds up spilling a lot.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »
Sounds like you have a plan . It is good to know how to reload , that way if you have to you will be safer .  The main thing is to be safe always and have FUN and enjoy yourself . We enjoy our fellow shooters company and always look forward to shooting with friends new and old . Good luck and have FUN life is short .

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 09:11:20 PM »
Though a Schofield is theoriticaly faster, target aquisition and cycle time are slower,

Respectfully, please explain this.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com