Author Topic: 10-gauge hammer guns  (Read 6271 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
10-gauge hammer guns
« on: November 14, 2013, 10:26:36 AM »
... are not easy to find, in shootable condition AND affordable!
I've been checking the usual suspect online and find a pretty limited selection. Poking around some of the local shops, I've found a couple of Parkers and others with  barrels loose on the face and they still want $600 or more. Was offered a Lefaucheaux underlever 10 gauge with steel barrels for $300, but it had been fiddled with so much and had so many issues it would have been a money pit. The shop owner tried to tell me it was a Husqvarna, but the barrels were marked "FLUID STEEL" on the rib, in English, and the underlever lacked the smaller forward lever to take down the piece. I couldn't get the barrels off easily, but would have expected to see Belgian proofs on the watertable. Husqvarna, my tookas.
Who else out there has had adventures in 10-gauge land and lived to tell about ?

;D

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 10-gauge hammer guns
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:43:20 AM »
There was a beautiful Webly 10 ga. for sale recently on the SASS wire for 400 $.   I'd have HAD TO HAVE IT . . . but for the fact that I'd recently bought an original Remington 12 ga. and must currently be shopping for a travel trailer.  I have a Husqvarna under lever 12ga.  They are built like a combination of a tank and a bank vault.  

http://www.drburkholter.com/images/SxS_b.jpg  :)

I sleeved the right barrel to .45-70.
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:49:18 AM »
Wolfgang, I am most impressed with your Husqvarna "cape gun." Husqvarna did make them on their Lefaucheaux-actioned doubles, but finding one for an affordable price is well-nigh impossible. Boy, you could wander the Great Plains with that shooter and be ready for anything, from sharptailed grouse to bison!

:D

It is very likely a blessing that I can't log in on the SASS classified wire any more, not being in "good standing" after letting my membership expire years back.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:30:49 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 11:42:10 AM »
Wolfgang, I am most impressed with your Husqvarna "cape gun." Husqvarna did make them on their Lefaucheaux-actioned doubles, but finding one for an affordable price is well-nigh impossible. Boy, you could wander the Great Plains with that shooter and be ready for anything, from sharptailed grouse to bison!

:D

It is very likely a blessing that I can't log in on the SASS classified wire any more, not being in "good standing" after letting my membership expire years back.

I have one in 16 ga x 12.4 44R, and a top break in 16 x 9.3 X 57R (360 Nitro Exp)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:43:22 PM »
Sir Charles:

Show-off!

;D

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »
Sir Charles:

Show-off!

;D

Aren't we all keeping score by our toy collections? 8)

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 08:53:01 PM »
... are not easy to find, in shootable condition AND affordable!
I've been checking the usual suspect online and find a pretty limited selection. Poking around some of the local shops, I've found a couple of Parkers and others with  barrels loose on the face and they still want $600 or more. Was offered a Lefaucheaux underlever 10 gauge with steel barrels for $300, but it had been fiddled with so much and had so many issues it would have been a money pit. The shop owner tried to tell me it was a Husqvarna, but the barrels were marked "FLUID STEEL" on the rib, in English, and the underlever lacked the smaller forward lever to take down the piece. I couldn't get the barrels off easily, but would have expected to see Belgian proofs on the watertable. Husqvarna, my tookas.
Who else out there has had adventures in 10-gauge land and lived to tell about ?

;D

My grandfather had a 10 guage hangin on his wall on ram horns,i don't think it was ever shot that much,the last time it was shot was when my uncle shot it back in the 50s and hung on the wall from that day on,i loved to look at that old shotgun but it had damascuss barrels i guess,when grandpa passed my cousin got it with the ram horns and has it hangin on his wall now,which was fine becuase grandpa gave me all his watchfobs and indian stuff and a very old telescope.A couple years ago Wolfgang comes along with a Huskvarna 12 guage and says "you just bought a shotgun,send info to this guy and he will send it to you,pay me back when you can" ;D I did,he did,and i did~ I LOVE MY SHOOTGUN! :) :) :) And them brass shells are just mean lookin! ;D

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »
Rick, those Huskies are fine guns. I have had three or four, including a really old 16 with twist barrels. Never worried about shooting her with BP loads.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »
Rick;  What model is your Husky. Is it a  51, and have you looked up its date of manufacture from that site I posted for you?

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 10:05:40 PM »
Been down for awhile and just got back from up north,i'll have to check the model and that website~
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 10:32:17 PM »
Howdy!
 We picked up a Bernadelli (Italian) sxs in 10g with hammers, probably made somewhere between the mid 1960s and mid 1970s, last summer.   Came with two sets of barrels and didn't look like it had seen much use at all. We'd been looking for one for around 10 years.  (We wanted one that was modern made, so did research on hammered sxs 10gs and found this company.  Finding one in this country proved to be very difficult.)
Finally got a chance to take it out and shoot some 10g BP rounds today; wow, what a hoot!  My guy, Innocent Bystander, named it "Goliath", and it has become his 10g!  He'd get that name engraved on the  receiver, but it's already got engraving all over it!  I expect he'll be using it at High Sierra in May, and put on quite a show for the posse!

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 12:02:53 PM »
Pretty sure this is an original bar gun, 10 bore J. Williams.  1880s/1890s, 19" or so barrel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com