Author Topic: A question on possible work on my Uberti Hombre  (Read 5594 times)

Offline charlie.45

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A question on possible work on my Uberti Hombre
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:53:37 AM »
Hey guys, I just got an Uberti Hombre last week and so far I fear it replace my 1911 as my favorite gun (so conflicted lol) I like just about everything about it save the grip. I was wondering if any of you here have tried buying the backstrap and triggerguard of another model, in my case the 1873 with the birdshead shape and changing your grip that way. Does everything generally line up? It looks to be exactly the same screw placement. Has anyone any experience doing this with the Uberti cattlemans? I don't hate the original grip but the birdshead grip would be preferred.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: A question on possible work on my Uberti Hombre
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:40:07 AM »
it can be done....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline charlie.45

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 02:56:18 AM »
it can be done....

Thank you for the reply Sir. I don't mean to read in between the lines but your post makes me think it can be done with some work or you may not be a fan of the birdshead grip. Or am I just reading to much into the reply.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:30:59 AM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:34:33 AM »
If they are both Ubertis then it SHOULD be a straight swap. Post and let us know for sure.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline charlie.45

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:27:16 AM »
It'll probably be a month or so before I can order the 3 parts but I'll post my findings when I get them.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:51:18 AM »
Thank you for the reply Sir. I don't mean to read in between the lines but your post makes me think it can be done with some work or you may not be a fan of the birdshead grip. Or am I just reading to much into the reply.

way too much read into it  :)

It can be done...as in direct fitment... or you might..might have to jiggle a screw or 3... I seen both work

as to the Grip itself ..I like it  and I like the feel...
But and it's a big but... it's not historically correct...no problem,  should you just want it , or even shoot SASS...
Here is that BUT..I shoot NCOWS , and I happen to be the current National Judge.
Like it or not I can not, nor will not approve it for NCOWS Competetion.

Offline charlie.45

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 10:41:46 PM »
way too much read into it  :)

It can be done...as in direct fitment... or you might..migth have to jiggle a screw or 3... I seen both work

as to the Grip itself ..I like it  and I like the feel...
But and it's a big but... it's not historically correct...no problem,  should you just want it , or even shoot SASS...
Here is that BUT..I shoot NCOWS , and I happen to be the current National Judge.
Like it or not I can not, nor will not approve it for NCOWS Competetion.

lol sorry about that,

I actually just learned that that grip style wasn't allowed in most  events yesterday. It's honestly just my personal preference that I like the birdshead grip. I was inquiring into the parts swap because I do not want to permanently alter my Uberti. If it will match up I can switch between the two grip styles when i want. I can shoot it just fine with the original grips so even if the parts do not match up directly I'm still happy  ;D

I would love to shoot at CAS events and did in fact find a group that shoots events close to me, they start back up in March.

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 04:48:22 PM »
Charlie, if you are shooting NCOWS it will make a difference. The birdshead I'm not too sure of, but the finish of the Hombre is not allowed in NCOWS. The finish that is on the Hombre is not a duplicate of any finish in use "back in the day". You can take a wire wheel to that Hombre and take off about 1/2 of the finish, leaving it a medium gray color. That was a finish that was offered on Colts way back when. The SASS club shoots that I have been to all have had shooters using birdshead pistolas.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 11:12:22 PM »
Charlie, if you are shooting NCOWS it will make a difference. The birdshead I'm not too sure of, but the finish of the Hombre is not allowed in NCOWS. The finish that is on the Hombre is not a duplicate of any finish in use "back in the day". You can take a wire wheel to that Hombre and take off about 1/2 of the finish, leaving it a medium gray color. That was a finish that was offered on Colts way back when. The SASS club shoots that I have been to all have had shooters using birdshead pistolas.

STOP !   do not take wire wheel to your gun....

you will not have harmonist out come...........

I am a member of NCOWS and as I stated the National Judge in an earlier reply.

The Matte Finish is not approved nor is the Birdheads grip which I also stated earlier.

The uninformed might try to read hearsay into NCOWS and it's Guidelines, but they do a disservice !
That said.... were you to go to an NCOWS shoot and you had the interest, I know of no posse' that would turn you away.
Local Possi's would allow you one year, to decide to bring your Kit in to line.

I have seen Hombre's , Millennium's ( same revolver different nominclature) and Rodeo's ( USFA offering may they RIP )
detailed to a finer finish....
NONE used a wire wheel  ::)

Offline charlie.45

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »
Don't worry if I do anything to the finish it will be to completely remove it to get it blued. I kinda figured locally at least that most would give you a grace period with what you have to see if you are really interested in the sport .
And again on the birdshead I'll only switch it if I don't have to alter the gun as it is, that way if I get into shooting the matches I can easily switch back to the original grips.

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »
Don't worry if I do anything to the finish it will be to completely remove it to get it blued. I kinda figured locally at least that most would give you a grace period with what you have to see if you are really interested in the sport .
And again on the birdshead I'll only switch it if I don't have to alter the gun as it is, that way if I get into shooting the matches I can easily switch back to the original grips.

Charlie, I have 3 Hombre's and they have held up really well.  To remove that black, just place it in vinegar for a few minutes and it wipes right off.  Then polish the metal and it is the same as the cattleman.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline charlie.45

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 05:29:26 PM »
Charlie, I have 3 Hombre's and they have held up really well.  To remove that black, just place it in vinegar for a few minutes and it wipes right off.  Then polish the metal and it is the same as the cattleman.

wow thanks for the info on the vinigar, i'll keep that in mind. what kind of polish do you use to protect the metal from rust and whatnot?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 05:52:54 PM »
That's white vinegar BTW ..... and when you get to the point you want be sure to wash it away
liberally to neutralize the mild acidity of vinegar.

Semi Chrome Paste or the like will polish the lot.

A few fellows here have done this to the Hombre' /Patron / Millinium...
Ask and some may post the photos.

Offline charlie.45

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 06:05:31 PM »
That's white vinegar BTW ..... and when you get to the point you want be sure to wash it away
liberally to neutralize the mild acidity of vinegar.

Semi Chrome Paste or the like will polish the lot.

A few fellows here have done this to the Hombre' /Patron / Millinium...
Ask and some may post the photos.

TY, for the clarification and suggestion.
You guys have been very helpful.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 09:55:33 PM »

Charlie,

If you decide to change grips/frames, don't order 3 separate parts.  Order a fitted set.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com