Author Topic: Win 1897 or Clone?  (Read 8318 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Professional Listener
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Hamilton Psychology
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Win 1897 or Clone?
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:29:41 PM »
I've started looking for a shotgun for SASS, and I was wondering about just buying an original Win 1897. 

How well do these hold up in competition?  Or are they too old and fragile?

What/where do you go if or when something breaks?

Most that I see on line have 30" barrel.  I noticed Norinco's have a 20" barrel.  Do I keep looking for an original with the 20" barrel, or do find a smith to take some of the barrel off.

Thanks,

WM
Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Win 1897 or Clone?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 01:07:58 AM »
Get the IAC 97 newer steel and cheaper. Stay away from cai 97 not as well built loose tolerances. ::)

Offline Wandering Man

• Professional Listener
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Hamilton Psychology
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 07:45:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  The only clone I've had the opportunity to see so far was made by Norinco.

Who are IAC and CAI?

WM

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:24:53 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 10:06:47 AM »
Most original 97s have the 30 inch barrel.  The 20 inch ones are too valuable, sepecially if they are a trench gun.  I have an Norinco that I have had completely smoothed up and it will feed hulls and works fine.  The sear is the weak point on a 97. You nrrd to keep a spare with you at a match.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 11:35:44 PM »
I think the IAC is made by norinco, maybe wrong?

Offline Wandering Man

• Professional Listener
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Hamilton Psychology
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 07:54:35 AM »
So are all Win 97 clones made by Norinco?

WM

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:16:48 AM »
CAI is Century Arms International but I can't find anything out about a '97 clone from them.  I do believe that all of the clones are made in China so that's the best reason to go with an orginal.

If you find a good one for a good price don't worry about the barrel being too long.  Just get it cut off.  If you're going to use it in CAS then it's not going to keep any value that it might have anyway.  Find a good '97 smith to go through it for you and slick it up.  You would have to do that with a Norinco anyway.  The Noriincos are ugly, ugly too.  ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 12:20:44 PM »
Howdy Pards & Pard-eets

The CAI's, are sold here in California by Big-Five Sporting Goods, they also sell it as an 1893/1897. I picked up a real nice
IAC, 1897 from Walker47, which is strong , put together well and looks dang nice, it also comes with a walnut stock, and a large brass bead front site, I got mine in 12 gage with a 20 " barrel. I'll try to post a picture of it later. Here it is I couldn't fine one by it's self this is my IAC, 1897, and my TTN SXS, both in 12 gage, both these guns are rock solid and hard working guns.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 02:47:58 AM »
Well I did not follow my own advise. Just bought a winchester 97 that has been gone through. I could not walk away for the price asked. ;D
BSJ

Offline Wandering Man

• Professional Listener
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Hamilton Psychology
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 07:45:01 AM »
Well I did not follow my own advise. Just bought a winchester 97 that has been gone through. I could not walk away for the price asked. ;D
BSJ

Let us know how it works out.

WM

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 10:49:29 AM »
BSJ

I love my Winchesters.   ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 10:25:15 PM »
It has been here for awhile and just was playing with it today I think it is a keeper. All these years has made it nice and smooth. It is a take down, thought It was a std. but it is tight. Will probably shorten the barrel, but I will wait and see how it does. Yes it has been worked on by a sass smith? Don't know for sure, as I have not opened it up. It is smoother than my kaniaun chiniase one.
BSJ

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 12:38:16 PM »
The thing about having a shorter barrel comes in when you're shooting through windows and such.  It just adds seconds to your time when you have to shove all that barrel through a window and adds even more when you have to pull it back through.  It can also be a hindrance in situations where you have to go around stuff or if you're moving through train cars and narrow places.

Something to think about.

Get you some back up ejectors and keep them in a tool box that goes to the range with you.  It doesn't hurt to keep a left side extractor close by either.

Have you started practicing with it yet?  How are you going to load, over the top or from the right?  Get good habits from the get go.  When  you are shooting a '97 it shouldn't come down off your shoulder until you're done shooting it.  You shouldn't have to look at it to load it either it should be automatic.  Get the stock fit to you.  From your avatar it doesn't look as though that's going to be a problem for you though.  My stock is down to about 12"  now I think.  :D

If you make dummy shells to practice with get some shells that are some color that you will never ever have live ones in that color.  My practice rounds are lavendar.  ::)
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Tionesta Toby

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 09:46:18 PM »
If you make dummy shells to practice with get some shells that are some color that you will never ever have live ones in that color.  My practice rounds are lavendar.  ::)
If, like me, you aren't interested in do-it-yourself, you can buy dummy rounds for various calibers & gauges from Brownells.  In May I got a package of 5 12-ga dummies for $7.95 and a package of 5 - .45 Colt dummies for $9.95.  Not cheap, certainly, but not all that expensive, either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com