Author Topic: GAF MATCH RULES  (Read 1741 times)

Offline MUD MARINE

• Brevet Captain, Marine Commander Dept of the Platte
  • Very Active Citizen
  • DeptPlatte, Brevet Capt, USMC, SASS, CFDA, BPCR
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GAF MATCH RULES
« on: July 29, 2009, 12:05:57 PM »
Border Marauders of Eastport, Idaho on the border with Kingsgate, BC would like to have a GAF match in conjunction with our regular 1st Sunday of the Month SASS shoot.

What are the rules for a GAF match?

Weapons
Ranges
Rounds
Positions
Times
Etc.
:-)

Online Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: GAF MATCH RULES
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »
Read "GAF class Structure and Battle Rifle Standards" stickied above.   We largly engage CAS targets at CAS ranges, though we like to have the rifle targets a bit further out if possible.  But no problems have been observed at standard CAS ranges,
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline MUD MARINE

• Brevet Captain, Marine Commander Dept of the Platte
  • Very Active Citizen
  • DeptPlatte, Brevet Capt, USMC, SASS, CFDA, BPCR
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:03:46 PM »
Pistols and revolvers at 15 yards is listed but are rifles also shot at 15 yards?
:-)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:51:13 PM »

Online Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:24:49 PM »
We have no set target distances for our GAF matchs.  Targets are placed much the same as any SASS match.  Many of us shoot our GAF weapons as main match guns at our local SASS match, scored as a seperate class.   The postal matchs have a regulation range, but a GAF matchs as discussed here are 2 gun combat matchs at steel targets, using lead bullet ammo at relatibly slow velocities.  You might want to PM Pitsptr for a description of the scenerios and ranges we use at the grand muster.

Basic rules and weapon types here:  http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,17271.0.html
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 07:37:52 AM »
For the postal match it's 50 and 15 yds.  At last year's muster our targets were a little farther out than what you are saying, but all of our matches at our local cowboy club are. Some of the rifle targets may have been closer to 40 or 50 yds and one was at an unknown distance that was probably around 125. That one had to be attempted, but hits were for bonus. I won't give out this years stages until after the Grand Muster, but if you want last year's e-mail or PM me. As Drydock said about his, our club doesn't really have any set distances for the targets. We just set them out and adjust them until they "look about right".  When you set yours up don't stress too much about little details. Make it fun, but challenging. Remember this isn't so much about speed as SASS.

I have shot a match at normal SASS ranges with my .45-70-405 and not had any problems other than a broken weld on a Squirel tree that I shot with a .45-70-500.

The one thing I'd recommend is that your stages tell a true story. Do a little historical research. That's just me you don't have to do it that way, but I find it more interesting that way. You probably can't exactly reinact an historic event for distances and geography, but you can tell the story.

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com