Author Topic: Bullet Consistancy  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Bullet Consistancy
« on: October 25, 2008, 11:19:54 AM »
Some recent conversations both on-line and off-line with folks having accuracy problems made me do some thinking.  The ones I've talked to most often use a bullet if it looks good.  Those who weigh them often decide 2-3 grs variance is good enough.

My opinion on it:  All the bullets I shoot in my Sharps are weighed within 1/4 grain up or down, and if one goes over it's because I didn't hit the cutter straight and there's a teat on the base.

I know some think that excessive, but to put it in perspective, go to the loading room and get on #8 shot, lay it down, look it over, weigh it, will be real close to 1 grain, depending on alloy.  Would you shoot a bullet that had this big of a visible flaw?

Now remember, if the bullet is 1 grain under normal weight and you know your alloy is consistant, then you have 1 or more internal flaws that add up to a flaw that size.  Depending how far off center they are, you have a bullet that don't balance when it hits the air.  Kinda like a tire off balance.  Of course 2-3 grains you need to get another #8 or two out and look and think.

If your rifle don't shoot like you think it should, then ask yourself how ruthless you were with the bullet sorting.  All the case matching, lubes, powder types or primers won't make up for a bullet that won't spin true on it's axis.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bullet Consistancy
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 12:39:02 PM »
 :)Delmonico, First off that you so much for the phone calls and the advice that you have given me! i assumed that with my years of smokeless reloading that walking threw the B.P. would be a walk in the park! And you get this Idea from any old movie that they are shooting muzzel loaders, they dump some powder down the barrel, put a patch or wad  and then the bullet and ram it home and BOOM, the other guy falls dead! I learned THat is in the Movies!!! :o With help like you Glenn, I know I can get a good hold on this. Bad thing for me, timing is bad, With the cool temps and the high humdity we have here locks me in my jail cell! Where I will spent 80% of my time, untill the temp raises. Hopefully I will be able to get out and get my lead / tin ratio set up, and get my bullets to weigh very close!
 I am very great full for all the help you have gave me, and  have a lot better handle on the what and what not to do! i read several books, but none of them got the point across like talking to you! The books were telling me allmost the same thing, but it just didn't set in like talking to you one on one!

Thanks A Bunch My Friend!
Ace
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 01:13:45 AM »
Good reference, Del.

It puts consistency in a different light.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:44:32 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com