Author Topic: GOT MY 45-70 TODAY ?  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GOT MY 45-70 TODAY ?
« on: September 13, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
GOT A H&R 45-70 trap door today i have most of the stuff to load on my 650 dillion. ? are
what dies do you recomend?  i have lee dies for all my other guns.
does any one use the lee double disc powder measure?
what primmers can i use for BP
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: GOT MY 45-70 TODAY ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:32:39 PM »
I am partial to Hornady dies for the 45-70 because the seating die has a collet that drops down to guide the bullet into the case.  It works very well with no lead shaved from bullet.  The Hornady seater makes the process of finishing a round much simpler than other dies would.

I have never used a double disc lee measure.  For precision loads, I weigh each charge.  For less critical work, I use Lee dippers, which are very convenient and accurate.  Does the measure you mention present any possibility of sparking????

Black powder is very easy to ignite, therefore any primer will do.  Most, including me, have found that milder primers result in better accuracy.  Therefore, I use Pistol (!) primers of Remington, or WW persuasion.  Standard, NOT magnum, primers mind you.

Hope this helps.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 09:18:36 PM »
I sduggest you use the Large pistol primers if that's the way you want to go. Personally I use Large Rifle primers, and some gun magazine writers swear by large rifle primers of the magnum class. I suggest you try them all and decide which type your rifle likes best.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:13:49 AM »

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:46:01 PM »
ok thanks
Thomas Jefferson
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 06:31:47 AM »
BR,
 This is none of my buisness, I have a Dillon 450RL that I bought new 25 or so years ago new, and I have a Dillon 550 b, a Lee 1000, and the Old Herters C Press,  now this is only my thoughts, If you have a single stage press, i would use that for my 45-70, I cannot imagine that you are going to shoot that much 45-70 that you need to set it up on a progressive press!
Just my 2 cents!
 I sure can't wait to hear how that trap door shoots!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 07:10:36 AM »
well you know how it is use what you got
the 45-70 setup came with my dillion wen i got it used
Thomas Jefferson
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:15:07 PM »
well you know how it is use what you got
the 45-70 setup came with my dillion wen i got it used

BR mentioned that he'd recommend a single stage press.  I understand where he's coming from.  However, as the owner of a Dillon 550 as well as a wonderful old Bonanza single stage, I see the advantage of the Dillon. 

So ... here's my suggestion:  use your Dillon like a turret press.  That'll be a bit harder on your 650 than my 550, but it probably can be done.  This'll enable you to take it nice and easy.  I crunched a LOT of expensive 45-70 cases when I tried to flare and drop powder at the same station on my 550 as a Progressive.  I now expand/flare on my Bonanza and do everything else (one cartridge at a time) on my Dillon.

Also, Buffalow Red:

CONGRATULATIONS!   And have "loads" of fun !   pun intended

;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 10:04:04 PM »
THANKS
Thomas Jefferson
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 03:47:12 PM »
Most, including me, have found that milder primers result in better accuracy.  Therefore, I use Pistol (!) primers of Remington, or WW persuasion.  Standard, NOT magnum, primers mind you.

So I've gotta wonder whether or not you know that Lg Pistol Primers are a DIFFERENT Height than Lg. Rifle Primers?!!  :o  (They're shorter)

This means in a Lg Rifle Primer Pocket they're going to sit DEEPER, and in some guns the firing pin's not going to make proper contact.

Different brands of primers have different heat ranges and some are known for being cooler than others.  Generally when someone needs cooler ignition when using Blackpowder, they'll insert thin paper wads, often punched out of newsprint,in the bottom of their cases right over the Primer Flash Hole under the powder.
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 09:21:03 PM »
The problem you identify is surely true of small primers, however large primers are same height rifle and pistol.  I use a newsprint wad over a pistol primer and get s.d. of less than 5 fps on the chrono.  Much more consistent than any other combination I've measured.  For some reason, gun writers often report that magnum primers are necessary for black powder, but they apparently say this because someone else said it rather than in reference to any data they have personally accumulated.  At 500 meters and 1000 yards these things make a difference.  At 200 yards, it is trivia not worthy of your attention, I'm sure.

So I've gotta wonder whether or not you know that Lg Pistol Primers are a DIFFERENT Height than Lg. Rifle Primers?!!  :o  (They're shorter)

This means in a Lg Rifle Primer Pocket they're going to sit DEEPER, and in some guns the firing pin's not going to make proper contact.

Different brands of primers have different heat ranges and some are known for being cooler than others.  Generally when someone needs cooler ignition when using Blackpowder, they'll insert thin paper wads, often punched out of newsprint,in the bottom of their cases right over the Primer Flash Hole under the powder.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com