Author Topic: Drawings  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Drawings
« on: April 26, 2007, 10:59:59 AM »
Does anyone have a link to chamber drawings or cartridge drawings or both for the 45-70 to 45-120 rounds?  I wonder if we need to put up a good sticky post on why it is not a good idea to fire the shorter rounds in a longer chamber.  I'm going to be too busy the next few days to do much searching but add any ideas to this thread and I'll put one together here in the next week or so since the question comes up quite a bit and there is a lot of bad information on it.

If you have evidance that says it ruins chambers please explain it scientific terms how and why it does, rather than "I read this somewhere."  Of course other tapered cases have the same problems but we really don't need to cover them in depth but point out it causes the same problems.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Drawings
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 12:12:28 PM »
If you have evidance that says it ruins chambers please explain it scientific terms how and why it does, rather than "I read this somewhere." 

All I know is the following. This question has came up several times in as many years on the Shiloh Sharps forum and the owner, as well as maker of Shiloh Sharps, Kirk Bryan says not to do it as it damages the chamber in front of the case mouth. He has bore scoped these rifles as well as sawn into them to inspect damage. I trust him as he builds the best repro Sharps made from scratch. The scientific reason is that it is hard on the barrel chamber and throat as the bullet obturates to the FULL chamber diameter (as there is no cartridge case restricting obturation) and then has to be swaged down to GROOVE diameter under great pressure. This does strange things to the bullet as well. As he builds these for a living and sees the damage first hand I'm inclined to believe him.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 01:15:04 PM »
Acually I think that answers the question, it makes sense now, it cuts as it's funneled around the case which would concentrate the flame at that point, kind of focuses it like a magnifying glass and the sun.  The logner the chamber the more the effect, sorry I have to know how things work in scientific principles in many cases.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:20:08 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com