Author Topic: 51 navy conversions  (Read 4884 times)

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
51 navy conversions
« on: April 16, 2006, 02:26:56 PM »
 Well since it doesnt look like I will get a pair of these till the italians decied its time, anyone want to talk about their own
 pistols and experiences with these type guns
  The octogon barrel  5 1/2 navys in .38 . Tell us your likes and dislikes about these weapons  Thanks Sweettooth
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Offline Rapid Lee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 51 navy conversions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 07:25:48 PM »
Sweettooth,

I happened across a 7" version this winter and finally got around to shooting it recently.  I had no trouble keeping all five rounds in the black at 50 ft on the NMC slow fire target, offhand duelist style...which surprised me what with the rather crude sights these feature!  The one I have seems to be extremely well assembled and finished.  Hope you get yours soon.

Rapid

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 07:59:51 PM »
I kind look forward to that brass bead , I shoot opentops now and really like them , but that front sight is often invisable,
 still woulnt trade them off . Im really interested in handling the 51s vs the opentops. And they both have so much style.

storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:30:11 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 08:10:59 PM »
I know your pain .. I ordered a new for 06 R&M 2nd. model Army and they say by the end of the year.
I have an 72 Opentop I love to shoot, it points like it's part of my hand.

I've found nothing to dislike.

Then I got REAL lucky , I happened in to my FFL one day off , where my (New R&M Army is on order)
He has a trade in.... A unfired R&M Army in 38, It was a USPFA prototype from the shot show in 1992.
He handed it to me and I never let him have it back , we made a trade , 3 hand made holsters and a Uberti 60 Army for this "MY PRECIOUS" lord of the rings definition.

My plan was to have the Open Top paired with the R&M 2nd Model ( it's paired with My Colt 2Gen. w/ R/D Cyl. right now)
that's still is the plan... but the USPFA is one fine shooter in 38.

hang in there it will be worth the wait.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 05:05:51 AM »
 If it takes more than a month I might get a pair in 4 3/4 barrels. With the rear sight  {such as it is } on the hammer the sight radius would be about the same as my opentops. Or more.
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 05:35:59 AM »
Gents

I have a pair of the Richard mason navy grip Italian clones in 5-1/2 inch (38 spl) and I love them.

However, recently a gunsmith friend of mine completed my 51 full size R&D conversions (w/loading gate) - these pistols are shooters.  He lined them for 38 spl and did not dovetail the front sights.  At cowboy distances they are dead on POA with standard 51 Navy sights.

I second what major says the conversions and open tops are worth the wait.  I like them so much more than other cowboy guns - I may never get a pair of 73's again.

I am very interested to see how the new RM Mod 2 45lc ones come out once they are in country.

Here are some pics

GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Big Hext

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 07:08:41 AM »
PR,

Great looking pistols (one of them looks a little fuzzy, better clean it ;))
I think that leaving the loading lever gives them a real authentic look.

Adios,

Thank you for being you.. Annie Lee!

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 04:57:53 PM »
Sweet                 anyone else ?
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1234
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 07:27:02 PM »
Howdy Sweettooth,
I've had a pair of 7 1/2" '51 Richard-Masons since they first came out.  Excellent guns, lots of fun.  Here's one:
http://users3.ev1.net/~dave42/shoot/CimRM38a.JPG

Then about two years ago, got a pair of charcoal blue 5 1/2 inchers.  They were engraved by Kelly Laster:
http://users3.ev1.net/~dave42/shoot/engravedRMs.jpg

Then I sent the frames and hammers to Doug Turnbull to be case hardened.  And changed the grips on one of them to make a Thunderer-Mason conversion  ;D :
http://users3.ev1.net/~dave42/shoot/ThundererR-M2.jpg

A note on the sights.  I will mention that some folks open up the V-notch in the hammer, to make it easier to see the brass post front sight down in the notch.  But the way I aim with the guns is to just place the front post directly on top of the flat of the hammer nose, and just aim at the bottom of the target.  This is a quick and easy sight picture that works fine for CAS.  For the occasional long shot, such as a bonus pistol shot at a rifle target, then I will take the extra moment to drop the front post down into the notch and aim at the center of the target.

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 05:00:23 AM »
Great pics everyone and thanks for the sighting tip Abiline. Hows the balance on the 5 1/2 compare to the 7 ?
 I think a little engraving might be in order when I get my pistols . looks more like it belongs there than on model Ps.
 I am seriously considering the 4 3/4 although they dont look as good to me as the 5 1/2
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Offline Crooked Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 08:18:18 AM »
I have a pair of Richards '51 conversions in 38 with 7.5 inch bbl.  I love they way they point, very natural for me.  The brass bead front sight has become my favorite as all I have to do is put the  bead on the plate and pull the trigger.  I had action jobs and point of aim adjustments completed on them as well.  I like the '51's better than my 4.75 inch OT's.
I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 04:56:23 PM »
thats interesting kid. How do you think you would like the r.m in  4 3/4  ? The opentops rear sight fits forward of the cylinder,
 the 51s sit on the hammer . That would seem to be a pretty long sight radius.for a  4 3/4  pistol . I sure wouldnt mind a brass bead on the opentops.
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com