Author Topic: Does anyone know about the Belgian copies of the S&W Russian?  (Read 4612 times)

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS Spencer Shotgun Resident Expert
  • SASS #: 1188
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Does anyone know about the Belgian copies of the S&W Russian?
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:43:23 PM »
I came across a Belgian S&W 2nd model Russian the other day and its a pretty nice gun.  I know that there were Belgian and Spanish copies of the Russian along with the originals and Ludwig Lowe guns made under contract and I think some Tula Arsenal guns.  I just have never seen a Belgian copy.  Its fixed for a shoulder stock of an unknown design, the markings (though thin) are in English and it appears to have the 1893 or later BP proof mark for revolvers.  Its reasonably priced and I am tempted to pick it up as a shooter as its in good mechanical shape and has a decent bore.  Some info would be nice.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Does anyone know about the Belgian copies of the S&W Russian?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:14:29 PM »
Various Belgian gunsmiths copied 'everything' that they could possibly sell at a lower price than the original manufacturer - witness the 'British Bulldog' built by Webley, and the thousands upon thousands of Belgian copies.

They were often a sort of cottage industry - with various parts being fabricated in different shops - then assembled at a central location, and quite often, this sort of enterprise would involve an entire town.

As a curio of the era - they have a value - but unless made by a recognized manufacturer and proofed in acordance with the Proof Laws in effect at the time - frame, barrel and each charge hole of the cylinder - they're probably not the best to consider for shooting on any sort of regular basis, regardless of price.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:02:01 AM »
Lot's of interesting information about Belgian guns on this site
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/a%20a%20site%20belge%20gb.htm
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Advertising

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS Spencer Shotgun Resident Expert
  • SASS #: 1188
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:29:04 AM »
Various Belgian gunsmiths copied 'everything' that they could possibly sell at a lower price than the original manufacturer - witness the 'British Bulldog' built by Webley, and the thousands upon thousands of Belgian copies.

They were often a sort of cottage industry - with various parts being fabricated in different shops - then assembled at a central location, and quite often, this sort of enterprise would involve an entire town.

As a curio of the era - they have a value - but unless made by a recognized manufacturer and proofed in acordance with the Proof Laws in effect at the time - frame, barrel and each charge hole of the cylinder - they're probably not the best to consider for shooting on any sort of regular basis, regardless of price.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Well, there are Belgian guns then there are Belgian guns.  Most folks don't know that Belgian gun makers supplied parts to the British gun trade including some of the best and fanciest damascus shotgun barells ever made.  I have had a number of copies of western guns over the years, a Spanish copy of an SAA which was rough, a 3/4 scale Spanish copy of a long barreled SAA in 38 s&w which was quite nice and a copy of a Merwin and Hulbert that was so nice that they command almost the same price as an original, complete with 80% original nickle and ivory grips. 

This Belgian gun is fully proofed with the liege 1893 BP proof on the cylinder and barrel and its on excellent mechanical condition, though with no real finish to speak of.  I used to own the 20th civilian model 3rd model Russian made, a Shular Hartly and Grahm marked gun made in 1874, and a nice no 3 but I moved them on as I didn't shoot them and they got to be worth quite a bit of money.  I'd kind of like to have a S&W to shoot but real ones are getting to be real money.  I'm going to look at it again this morning.

Offline Zip Wyatt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:39:20 AM »
Roscoe,

Here is my Spanish S&W Russian made for the Mexican Army by Orbea Hermanos circa 1879.  The quality is first rate.

Zip
So what else is on your mind besides hundred-proof women, 'n' ninety-proof whiskey, 'n' fourteen-carat gold?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com