Author Topic: possable schofield problem  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Doc O

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
possable schofield problem
« on: March 12, 2007, 06:49:13 PM »
Just bought two .38 spl uberti schofields. After shooting several rounds [about 50 rounds each] I noticed on the rear of the cylinders little divits on the outer edge of the cylinder. Which were from the cylinder hitting the latch when the guns are fired. Is this common or should I be concerned or not. Im new to schofields and any info would be great. Also I love the way these things shoot. I'm new to forums so I'll thank you now because I don't know if I can finger out this computor to respond later.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: possable schofield problem
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:10:11 AM »
Hmmmm,

Never had that probnlem with the 45 Schofields!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Injun Ryder

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 36201L
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 03:31:37 AM »
If I understand your description correctly, I also have these marks on a S&W PC Schofield that I bought about a year and a half ago. I had assumed that the former owner had shot some higher loads through it and caused the cylinder to impact the latch. That and the pistol had the loosest screws that I have ever seen led me to this conclusion.

I have a couple other S&W's that have only been used for CAS and they do not show this sort of damage at all.
If it ain't life threatenin', it ain't worth worryin' about.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:53:10 PM »

Offline Doc O

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 04:49:24 PM »
No there is no up and down or back and forth play in th cylinder when ready to fire. There is some slight back and forth play in the cylinder when the hammer is at rest. I had a .45 cal about a year ago which also did this but it never got any worse the longer I shot it. Every thing seams thigt and I've only shot cowboy loads. Thanks for the reply.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 11:26:17 PM »
Didn't Uberti have a similar problem on early guns when the screw head at the bottom of the inside frame was making a divot on some cylinders? The cause was tight tolerances and the frame does flex a tad when fired. The solution was to simply polish the screw head a frog's hair.

Offline Doc O

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 05:42:37 PM »
Took the gun back to dealer. Gun was defective [ bad casting on the latch were the cylinder butt up agenst it] and they have sent it back to the destibutor for another gun. Hope this next one doesn't have the same problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com