Author Topic: Leather Wrist Supports  (Read 3462 times)

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Leather Wrist Supports
« on: September 12, 2006, 02:05:18 PM »
Does anyone out there know where I might be able to get a couple old fashioned looking wrist supports? I've always had problems with my wrists, and don't care much for the look of modern supports. The Cumberland General Store use to carry nice ones, but they shut down their website, and I haven't seen them yet.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Leather Wrist Supports
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 02:23:58 PM »
Those leather cuffs you see in old photos are not wrist supports, the reasone those were worn at first was to protect ones sleeves from gettin torn up in the heavy thorn county of the south-west.  Cloth was very expensive and leather was cheap and durable.  In the 1890's with the avent of rodeo they became a popular style for rodeo riders along with the knitted cotton turtle neck sweaters with the bold stripes as well as the Angora chaps.  The Angora chaps were also popular in the colder parts of the Great Plains in the winter for warmth. 

Most pictures of cowboys wearing wrist cuffs away from Texas and the brush country are most likely rodeo cowboys.  Perhaps not all, but most I have seen are.

These cuffs would need to be fitted well to work as wrist supports because they have a flair to them and are tight only at the front.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 04:13:36 PM »
Thanks for the response Del, but I think I might have misrepresented the question. What I'm really looking for aren't the old styled cowboy cuffs, but more like a leather wrist band, that looks a little old fashioned. Something I could wear anytime I was doing yard work.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:07:49 PM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 06:42:16 PM »
I think you are talking about the straps that weight lifters used to wear and were commonly worn by the old actors in Hercules type movies.   if this is what you want they should be easy to replicate from heavly leather with buckle adjustable straps for tight adjustment.  I think a medical supply would probly offer something more modern and comfortable than  what I am thinking about.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 06:55:24 PM »
I just didn't understand. ;)  Many thing the wrist cuffs are for support, I should print that on a card as many times as I've answered that when someone is looking at a pair here in the store. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Capt. Augustus

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 09:25:42 AM »
I think what you are looking for is perhaps what John Wayne is wearing in the Cowboys.  I couldn't figure out what it was until I saw this entry.

Offline Kid Raven

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 09:19:04 PM »
I think what you are looking for is perhaps what John Wayne is wearing in the Cowboys.  I couldn't figure out what it was until I saw this entry.

I think Clint wore some in one of his movies too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com