Author Topic: .45 Uberti Schofield not comfortable; maybe I should have gotten the .38?  (Read 8738 times)

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I have a Schofield (Uberti) Wells Fargo that I bought several yrs ago but I've never really enjoyed shooting it much.  After about 300rds (cowboy loads) I think I'm about ready to give up on it.  I regularly shoot my S&W double actions in .45 and .44mag comfortably but the angle on the Schofield grip frame gives me problems.  Anyone here shot the Schofield in both .45  and .38 that would care to comment on perceived recoil?  I'm thinking I should look for a trade to .38 in either a Schofield or a Laramie.  Comments?  I have Blackhawks in both  .41  an .38.  The .38 is OK but the .41 is not one of my favorites (even with a Bisley grip frame).

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
I have a Schofield in .45 Colt (wells fargo model as well). I shoot 35 grain black powder loads (250 grain bullet). I don't find the grip angle uncomfortable, but then again we are all different. I find it alright myself.

Swede

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Why not try it with what the original Schofield was chambered for?

It's .45 S&W.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
Or even .45 Cowboy Special.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I'm already using light loads so that isn't a solution.  I'm thinking the different grip shape of the Laramie plus the milder recoil of 38 special might do the trick.  I'd like to keep a large frame break top in my plinker collection.  Anybody out there with a Laramie that would like to trade?   

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
If you can't find a Laramie, Taylor's has a similar model:
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cartridge-revolvers/new-model-no-3-frontier.html

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
The Frontier is certainly attractive but it's only available in .45.   I think what I'm really looking for is a short barrel (3"-5") Russian or Laramie in .38.

Offline Earl Brasse

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
While you say you've tried "light" loads, you didn't tell us how light.

Grip shape/angle do make a big difference in felt recoil but since you already have the gun, have you tried really light bullets?

Like 160 gr RNFP  with a light powder charge?

http://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/45-160-rnfp.html

I haven't shot any but they look like the lightest thing out there.

As said above Cowboy Special brass would allow for the best burn/ case volume with the light bullet.

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I'm currently using a 240gr RNFP bullet over 6gr of Win 231.  I'm using the Win 231 mostly because I had a lot of it on hand.  As I recall, the Winchester data recommends I go to 5.5gr of Win 231 for a cowboy load.  I wasn't aware anyone made the lighter 160gr bullets for the 45 colt so that may be a real solution without trading guns or just giving up on the Schofield and selling it outright.  It appears badman bullets is out of stock right now so I'll look elsewhere.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
Use a lighter bullet.  Projectile weight is the largest factor in creating recoil.  There are many around, from 155gr on up.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Howdy AD,

I have a couple of Schofields in .45 Colt (a Pair of 5 inchers). I shoot a 200 gr. bullet over 6 gr. of Amer. Select. I don't find the recoil to be anything objectional. The grips seem fine too. but apparently I'm not sensitive to grip shape as I shoot the same load in a pair of USFA 4&3/4" and a converted Remington 58 which I pair with a .38 Open Top with Army grips. I switch between models and never even notice the different shapes. I shoot duelist and am slow, so you can take my comments for what they are worth.

Reverend Chase

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
I have 2 Uberti S&W Schofields Model 2 (1875) they have the 7" barrels and they are in caliber 44-40 for cowboy stages i have shot them using what I call "sissy" loads using a 200 grain RNFP on top of 4 grains of Tight Group.  I shoot in category "Outlaw" and there is no recoil... as stated... sissy load.  But when I use the SW Schofields shooting Long Range I use a much heavier charge. After shooting peacemakers the S&W humpback is different... I do not find that objectionable... what is hard to get use to is that you have to fully release the trigger before cocking... after years of shooting the peacemakers... one gets into habits that will not carry over to shooting the Schofields... for me that is more objectionable than the hump back... but then again you do not see many in the winners circle who shoot schofields... Style Points yes... but that is about all... you won't win many races with shooting schofields.  But they are a fun gun to shoot.  My opine.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Thanks for all the replies.  I'm looking for much lighter bullets (150-160gr) but I'm not having much look at the moment.  Most suppliers don't sell the lighter bullets and the few that I've found are temporarily out of stock.  There's something about the shape of the grip that's giving me trouble.  I'm not that fond of my Rugers (.41 & .357) but the Schofield is more challenging.

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
AmmoDave,

I usually shoot my 3 1/2" Schofields 45 Colts with 250 gr rnl bullets and 5.2 grn of titegroup.  A few of years ago I decided to use up a bunch of different pistol powders I had hanging around.  I loaded the 45 colt 250 gr rnl bullets with 5.2 grns of Win 231.  It was a nice mild load, give it a try and it may help solve the recoil problem.

Silver Rings
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Really? .45 Colt cowboy squibs are too much to handle in a Schofield?  My wife who has small hands loves the Schofield shooting standard pressure .45 Colt loads.  She has no trouble reaching the hammer and shoots it very well.  It seems like an overbuilt gun in 38 Special.  JMHO.

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Cut me a little slack. :)  My hands are a bit older than yours and more used to 1911s and double action S&Ws.  The Schofield is lighter than my Rugers or S&Ws and that contributes to the problem.   I bought the Schofield strictly as a toy, and after 50 rds,  I get a little tired of shooting it.  I even tried making larger grips (see below), but without checkering, they didn't help much.  Perhaps checkered grips would make it easier to keep a firm hold.  At any rate, I've ordered some 160gr bullets to soften the recoil a bit.  According to the recoil calculator that should reduce the recoil about 40%. If that doesn't help, I'll switch to checkered or stag grips.  Anybody know a good source?

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
I'll switch to checkered or stag grips.  Anybody know a good source?
Check With Gripmaker here in the forum. He just make some grips for my S&W model 10's
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I contacted the Gripmaker but he doesn't make checkered grips for the Schofield.  Anybody else got a source?

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Not sure what velocities you are getting with your load, but 250 gr. is too heavy for the Schofield. The original loading for the .45 Revolver Ball (military nomenclature for the .45 Schofield round) was originally loaded with 28 gr. of BP with a 230 gr. bullet. This produced a MV of about 725 ft/sec. No one can tell what your perception of recoil is from any gun, so there is no way we can say such a load would be easier. It may well be that you may, indeed, need to go to a different grip shape, e.g., the Laramie (S&W New Model #3), if you can find one.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com