Author Topic: Clam & Egg Sandwich: Old Pacific Northwest recipe  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Gatofeo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Clam & Egg Sandwich: Old Pacific Northwest recipe
« on: January 02, 2010, 11:51:25 PM »
During the Depression, when they were kids, my father and uncles used to walk down to the Tacoma docks just to watch the ships. If they had a little extra money, they each indulged in a Clam & Egg Sandwich.

Saute some minced onions in a little butter. Drain a tuna-sized can of clams and add the clams. Add pepper to taste but no salt! Plenty of salt in those clams. Beat a couple of eggs and throw them in. Scramble it all together, forming two or three patties.
Put a patty on a toasted hamburger bun that's had both sides coated in tartar sauce. You can add a thiin slice of sharp cheddar cheese if you like.
Enjoy! That's all there is to it!
Clam & Egg Sandwiches are good with fries and beer. It also makes a great late-night snack, or a quick meal while camping.
Don't like clams? Substitute with tiny shrimp.
According to my late father, Clam & Egg Sandwich was an old recipe in the 1930s. You won't find it in the Pacific Northwest, anymore. It's long forgotten. Everyone's gone over to fancy-shmancy dishes like salmon with raspberry sauce and such, forgetting their working man roots. But try a Clam & Egg Sandwich. I think you'll be delighted.
"A vast desert. Smoke. Brimstone. Pierced parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." -- The Quantrains of Gatodamus (1503-1566)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com