Author Topic: Pleased with flat top  (Read 2369 times)

Offline sharps50/70

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pleased with flat top
« on: September 04, 2007, 07:21:04 PM »
I recently purchased a USFA flat top from an auction site.  The gun was used but in new condition.  It is a 32/20 with a 7 1/2" barrel and case colored frame and hammer.

When I first tried the trigger pull, I noticed that the hammer would move forward as you started to pull the trigger but before the sear (trigger) broke from the hammer.  I took the gun apart to give it a trigger job and noticed a small sliver of metal on the top of the sear.  I removed the metal with a finger nail, polished the sear and hammer and then reassembled the gun.  Judging from the force required to remove two of the grip frame screws, the gun had never been apart.

Now, the trigger pull is light and very crisp.  No drag to the trigger.  Accuracy has been very good with store bought bullets in my reloads, around 2" from a sand bag rest at 25 yards.  The gun can probably shoot better then I can test it.  Offhand, firing the one hand target hold, I can keep all shots within a four inch black at 25 yards.

Overall, nice gun!

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Pleased with flat top
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:18:48 PM »
Congratulations, Sharps!  I seem to recall reading somewhere that 32-20 was once a very popular round for competition shooting.  That is one of the reasons you see so many original Colt Bisleys in that caliber.   One of these days I am going to have to get one to match up with my '92 Winchester 32-20.
Hope to see more of you here on the USFA forum.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline sharps50/70

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 09:15:31 AM »
Hi Capt.

The flat top is actually my second 32/20 revolver.  The first one I bought is a Uberti SAA, 4 3/4" barrel.  That also is a very accurate revolver.  The major complaint about the 32/20 is that it's very loud.  And it is for a small cartridge but it seems to be a very accurate cartridge.

Rich

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:36:59 AM »

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 07:47:25 PM »
Rich,
I am sure that the 32-20 was a much faster round out of the barrel than the other pre 1900 pistol rounds.  That would make it a "flater" shooting bullet which would account for its popularity among competition shooters.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com