Author Topic: Bulged my Barrel  (Read 2822 times)

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Bulged my Barrel
« on: May 31, 2006, 04:27:45 PM »
I bulged the barrel on my Uberti replica of a '73 Winchester musket.  Yeah, I know, you have to pay attention even in the heat of competition, but I had a momentary lapse, and now I have a bulge.  It's not visible from the outside, because it's under the forend, and it still shoots OK, but it is now the devil to clean--seems to accumulate lead and ashes in the bulge.  My question--is there an economical way to fix it?  Can in be relined?  If so, about how much should a 30-inch .44-40 barrel cost to reline and chamber?  A replacement barrel is in the vicinity of $250 (ouch) plus installation.  Or do I just keep using it as is until I wear the gun out?  Is it liable to fail at some point?

Thoughts?

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Re: Bulged my Barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 10:15:01 PM »
DJ

Just had an orriginal '92 in 38-40 relined.  Previous owner had bulged it twice!!! :o  It cost around $250 US to have it done, so I am not sure if there is much advantage against replacing the barrel.  Depending on where you are, my local smith (after doing mine) and I recomend Binke (sp?) in Klamath Falls, OR.  Some of our pards from the Jefferson State Regulators may have his contact info, the 13 month old got ahold of my copy ::).  Good luck with what ever you do.
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 08:34:15 AM »
Were it mine - I'd replace the barrel or look to see about shortening it to carbine length - depending upon the location of the bulge.

It won't fail - but you 'will' be making a few more passes down the barrel with your cleaning rod to clean out accumulated fouling.

A barrel liner runs about $110 retail for the standard 'rifle-length' - check with Brownell's.

Installing it can be the expensive part, unless your 'smith (or you) have the necessary tools and a bit of experience.

They're generally soldered - but can also be epoxied...

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:38:43 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com