Author Topic: Problem with 97 takedown - off center primer hits  (Read 1932 times)

Offline laffalotlouie

• Citizen
  • Golden Heart Shootist Society
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Problem with 97 takedown - off center primer hits
« on: May 26, 2006, 08:17:58 AM »
Hello all,

I have a 97 takedown made in the 50's with a problem.  It always produces off center primer hits, to the point that it won't go bang most of the time.  If you look at the bolt face you can plainly see the ring left by the primers and they are way off.  I've checked the barrel and it has no slop to it. 

I have a couple of thoughts on the problem.  Let me know what you think.

1.  the firing pin hole is just plain off center. (doubt that since it's an original and would have figured the problem to have been fixed by now.

2.  for some reason the bolt doesn't sit properly.  I've checked it and there is a bit of up and down play to the bold (which is the way the primer hits are off center) but doesn't appear to be very much at all.

3.  when you work the action and then pull the trigger, the bolt comes forward slightly when the hammer falls.  I would think that ths would cause light primer hits, not off center but hey, what do I know.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Laff-a-lot Louie
What gun is my favorite?  The one in my hand when the shootin' starts.

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Problem with 97 takedown - off center primer hits
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 02:01:09 PM »
Ho  laff-a-lot-louie

Give this site  a try....... there aint much this pard dont know `bout 97s

http://www.marauder.homestead.com/shotgun.html

Paladin (What lurvs his 97 :D) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com