Author Topic: Vaqueros shooting low  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Six Shot

• I need all six!
  • Active citizen
  • "Live Free or Die Tryin"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Vaqueros shooting low
« on: April 16, 2006, 08:59:00 PM »
Anybody have a suggestion what can be done to raise the impact point on my (old) Ruger Vaqueros (besides aiming higher)? I'm using 158 gr. LRNFP with 3.3 gr. of Titegroup which gives me about 820 fps but many of my shots are low. I place the front blade even with the top of the rear sight notch. Someone suggested filing down the front blade. I'm reluctant to do so but its not out of the question. Any suggestions appreciated. ???
NRA/ILA, GO-NH, LFGC, PVFGC, Merrimack Valley Marauders, White Mountain Regulators, Gunnysackers
SASS#66105 GAF#566 STORM#294 SSS#207 BOSS#181 RATS#417

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
Re: Vaqueros shooting low
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 04:29:10 PM »
I agree with Seth about shooting from a rest. Or get another shooter to try. It might be in the loads also. When I shoot low it's because I am not becoming friends with my front sight.  Remember once you take it off the front it's harder to put back on.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Hemlock Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 04:16:14 PM »
I've found that light loads tend to shoot lower.  You might try someone's load with a 250 gr slug and about 7.5 gr of Unique.  Also a ~800 Fps load.

I did file my front sight about 0.020" on my RV 7.5" revolver to help 25 and 50 yard hits.  If you file, put away the Dremmel tool unless you are really good with one  :o

Mike

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:45:32 AM »

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 10:27:27 AM »
Six Shot what caliber is the gun?
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 06:53:44 PM »
Six Shot what caliber is the gun?

He said in origonal post a 158 grain bullet, I would suspect .38 sp.
Mathew 5.9

Offline klausg

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 07:42:27 PM »
Lil Rooster-  I have to agree with everyone, fire it from a rest just to be sure, but I would go with a heavier bullet as they tend to print higher, I know it's the opposite of what you'd expect.  If you do decide to file go really slow.  Good luck

-SSG Klaus

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 08:41:52 PM »
Lil Rooster that's what I assumed too but that's on the high end of a .38/.357 and it should be a heavy enough bullet that it's not dropping.  Now with a .45 a 158 or 160 would cause the bullet to drop meaning that you would need to hold high on the target.

Hemlock Mike's post made me ask what caliber that we are talking about
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Hemlock Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 09:49:16 PM »
Camille --

You are right.  I see so many small slug weights anymore --- I ferget that there's under wart hog guns out there !!   Still,  light loads in some guns shoot low because of recoil considerations.

Mike

Offline Will Blastem

• Top Active Citizen
  • You stage 'em...Will Blastem
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 07:39:59 PM »
Guess I'm not really sold on the idea of shooting form a rest. Doesn't recoil affect trajectory? mean that A bench rest which inhibits recoil , or alters it from the way a shooter shoots free hand will change the apparent trajectory...For example: I use a Glock in 45 caliber for personal defence and I can tell you that my point of aim/impact is different between shooting free hand and with a bench rest.?????????????? Just a thought and my humble, unscientific, uneducated, .02 worth.

Anyway....that's my story n I'm stickin to it ::)
You Stage 'em, Will Blastem
KC's Corral at Black Creek
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314
Vietnam  Ist Air Cav 67-68

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 07:33:42 AM »
I definately do not recommend filing down the front sight! my [old style] Vaquero has shot high since I took it out of the box. But I've learned to live with it. I realize that your problem is the opposite of mine, but you are doing the right thing, trying diffrent loads.That is what I'm doing but going in the opposite direction.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 10:12:52 PM »
RULE OF THUMB.  (International sliding scale!)

Heavier bullets shoot higher.

Lighter bullets shoot lower

Both of my older Vaqueros shot low, and I DID FILE!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Guage Rod

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 10:35:35 PM »
I recommend that you bench test the gun at 10 yards on paper.  Try as many load varriations, with powder and slug whts as different as you can afford to buy, beg or borrow. 

If you have a favorite load, and want the gun to shoot it POA, then stick with load and have the gun modified by Ruger, or by a local GS. 

If you want to file after hitting on a favorite load.  I recommend a bench, shoot 5 rounds, file a sliver off shoot 5 more rounds, see how it groups and file a sliver off if need be, take only 001. off at a time.

I also recommend that you let another experienced shooter try the gun before going  to the trouble of sending the gun off or filing.  If it still shoots low then move on to the next level.

If you are shooting Store bought rounds, let Rugger or your GS know the vital stats or give the GS some of the Rounds to work with.  I do not know if you can send ammo in the mail or UPS, but you definately can not send them together with the Gun.  :o :o

BTW, Ruger recommends lining up the sights with the lower part of the bullseye when shooting.  Might try the center or high on the B'eye to see how it shoots.  As I tell the folks I teach with rugers, put the blade dead center of the camels back and complete the hump, so it all looks like it goes together on the RV's,

Once your sighted in on paper to POA.  Try with out the bench.  You should be doing well.  Just take it slow if you do it your self, shoot 5 at a time to get a grouping (at 10 yards it should not be hard to get a nice tight group off the bench, say 2 to 3 inches).  Mark the first 5 shoots with a marker so you can tell or change targets with each batch.  Just take it slow, plan on an afternoon of fine tunning your RV.  It took me 35 rounds and 2.5 hours to get my AWA, peace maker to shoot POA, with my pet loads. 

Vaya Con Dios

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com