Author Topic: Use for a .50-70 barreled action  (Read 5040 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Use for a .50-70 barreled action
« on: March 18, 2009, 03:54:09 PM »
I've got an 1868 Model Springfield .50-70 barrled action laying around.  Been thinking of possible uses.  The 1868 Model was originally made from surplus 1861 springfield model stocks.  I've been thinking about getting a repro Euroarms 1861 Springfield musket and adapting the 1868 barrled action to it.  I'll probably cut it down to a more manageble length and maybe use other musket parts to finish it up.  Not trying to recreate anything here.  But trying to do what a gunsmtih of the 1870s may have done with a rifle that was brought in with a shattered stock - adapt it to something else of the period. 

Have any of you done this or heard of anyone doing it?  Ideas?  Suggestions?

BTW - I already have a complete model 1868 that I shoot regularly, this is just a fun project ;D
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Use for a .50-70 barreled action
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:45:33 PM »
i have seen idear of yousing replica gun parts work,i did it with a snider reack and replica enfild stock ,it worked fine with a litle inleting

Offline Rebel Dave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:15:58 AM »
hdhchf
No need to use repro parts to make a whole gun. I'll let you in on the BEST PLACE to get U.S. Martial musket parts, this includes all  models  of trap doors. Check out my freind Bil Osborne's shop, @ Lodgewood.com ,   he has all manner of parts, probably even a few original stocks, and especilly lock parts. I know from experience with muskets, the original lock parts "are the best". If you call them ask for Becky.

Good Luck   Rebel Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:33:31 AM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:16:23 AM »
RD - I am familiar with Lodgwood, I've ordered parts from them before.  They are a great resource.  I'll keep them in mind.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:19:47 AM »
Ndnchief: If the barrel and action are in good shape, it is well worth trying to put your .50-70 back to work. Try trapdoorcollector.com, S&S and Dunlap Woodcrafts for parts. Local historical society has a .50-70 with forend cut back, double triggers installed and an inlet in the right cheek of the buttstock where a leather strap holds three extra cartridges. The rifle was used to guard cattle against grizzlies in the 1870s here.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 10:05:33 AM »
The barreled action is serviceable, but not cherry by any means.  That's why I figure its a good candiate for this project.  I thought about a Gemmer style conversion, but that would require re-barreling,  I don't want to go that route.  Plus I like old military rifles, so the idea of putting it into a repro 1861 Springfield stock seems like a good starting point.  But I would like to shorten it a bit to something like an 1842 Fremont musket size.  I may even use an 1842 style front band that has a front sight on it.  Like I said, I'm not trying to recreate an original rifle, but build a servicable rifle, like a period gunsmith may have done with parts that were available.

I have an S&S catalog and have looked at Dunlap's and other trapdoor internet sights.  There are plenty of parts out there. 

Thanks for your thoughts :) 

Offline Joe Lansing

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 09:59:50 PM »
I had an 1868 action around, too. I always liked the idea of a 50-70, but only in recent years has the brass become available at affordable prices. 
Earlier this year I searched Ebay and Gun Broker and S&S for parts and I assembled a "sporter" 1868 Springfield. It has a fine bore, with all original parts, except for the sights and a few screws. All that is left to do is to work on the finish.
It shoots very well. I load with 23gr 4759 under Quaker Puffed Rice as a filler.The 450 gr bullet is crimped in. I do not resize the cases. This is a comfortable and accurate load, and not sizing preserves the cases.
I also added a wood, checkered pistol grip I got from Dixie.

JL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com