Author Topic: Character development... boots and pants  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Character development... boots and pants
« on: January 31, 2006, 01:11:04 PM »
Well, I am building my character and have decided on a few items.

I am working off the the story I heard of a farm boy from the Wi/Mn area who ran off to join the war.

(left home with nothing more than a shotgun and riding a dunn)

He made it into Gen. Canby's XIII corp just in time to see the bloody battles at Fort Blakely.

After the surrender, he made his way back home to the plains territory and spent time fighting the Sioux in the Dakota territory out by Fort Buford.
(farmers and settlers would hire war vets as local law and "enforcers")

As far as my outfit:
- hat is figured out. (slouch, as my character was a returning vet)
- shootin irons are collected. (pair of Rem 58s and a Henry or Spencer when allowed)
- shirt is a simple 3 button

Did all vets wear single piece boots, or were split fronts available back then?
[He would have stayed on with the XIII Corp until after the surrender and headed home some time in late 1866.]

But, I need help with my pants and boots.
Were "saddle pants" period approriate to the later part of the 1860s?

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
Re: Character development... boots and pants
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 03:11:42 PM »
Dakota,

You oughta pose this question to St. George on the Historical Forum, he probably has the info you're asking for.
A question,; What do you mean by split front boots, are you talking about scalloped tops? If so, I don't think they came in to real use until around 1880 or so, and mostly by the wealthy mexican land owners.

If they are cavalry boots they would have the slanted tops (slants from front to back). Most were square toed/ with flat heels, used from the civil war through the Indian Wars. Matter of fact, French Jack and I just picked up a pair (for him) from Fall Creek Suttlery today for $175.00 and they make their own boots.

As far as saddle pants, they would have been sky blue wool, and yes they were issued to the northern mounted troops during the civil war, I'm not sure about the confederate mounted troops. I'm sure, you would have been able to keep a lot of your issued clothing if still in servicable condition. I hope this helps, but I would ask St. George.
Sounds like you got this thing pretty well figured out, are you writing it down as your documentation?

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Lars

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 03:21:15 PM »
Did you give civil war brogans a thought? Cheaper, lighter, can have room for foot supports (absolutely critical to me), and PC for civil war vet.

Lars

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:29:16 PM »

Offline law dawg

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 10:31:41 PM »
Dixie Gun Works carries authentic brogans even has those tacs? in the sole.  They also have a lower cut boot that was used by the cannon teams that will fit larger calves as well as have a flat heel and round toe.  Sorry if I don't quite know the official names for some of this stuff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com