Author Topic: '66 Sporting Rifle maintenance  (Read 11974 times)

Offline Matthew Duncan

• Cutter’s Raiders# 13
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 23189
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
'66 Sporting Rifle maintenance
« on: November 08, 2004, 01:05:26 PM »
45 LC using IMR 4227 powder.

After shooting approximately 1000 the last couple rounds would not feed. Found blowback was getting into the magazine tube fowling the follower and spring. I now clean after every shoot.

Around 2000 rounds spent casing didn’t eject. Loosen the two spring screws by the trigger and then remove side plates, linkage and pins to unjam rifle. Insides were covered with gunk from blowback, unburnt powder and lubricating oil. I now tear down and clean every other shoot.

Saturday spent casing didn’t eject! Tore it apart to unjam. Insides are clean!? Tried to reshoot the stage, one rifle shot and jammed again! 9 misses for that stage. Tore it down again, unjamed, clean and reassemble. Using different brass for the next stage, one rifle shot and jammed again! After the match I tore in down again (I’m getting so good I could do this in the dark with my left hand tied behind me). Everything is clean and cycles properly. Put an empty casing in the receiver and push the bolt closed manually. Ejector slides over the case rim but when I pull the bolt back empty case stays in the barrel! There is a little square hole above the brass and the barrel. Unburnt powder or dirt prevented the ejector from entering the square hole completely to catch the brass rim and eject. Gave that square hole a good field cleaning and ran 50 rounds thru without any problems.

Reloads have a good solid crimp on them.

I’ve switched from IMR 4227 to Tightgroup powder but I am using up the old reloads first. I’ll see if the Tightgroup cuts back on unburnt powder and blowback.
Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Offline Rubideaux

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: '66 Sporting Rifle maintenance
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 08:16:21 AM »
I believe you'll find a large improvement with the Titegroup. I made the change FROM unique and am happy with the results. I think the unique was almost as dirty as shooting black powder.
It seems my hypocrocy knows no bounds.

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 11:12:47 AM »
Matthew:  Ballistrol the innards and then blow out with some air.  Amazing what gets dislodged using the air.
I use the canned air.  Haven't got around to buying one of the small compressors with the air gun nozzle yet.
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:21:37 AM »

Offline Matthew Duncan

• Cutter’s Raiders# 13
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 11:28:00 AM »
Is Manatee's stainless steel magazine spring a good investment?
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 10:21:44 PM »
Last night I pulled the side plates off my '66 and after two matches it was still pretty darn clean.

I also changed from Unque to Titegroup and it was a smart move. Thanks for the tips on where to look for problems.
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 08:08:06 AM »
Matthew, I'll ride along with John Boy on this.  I spray LOTS of Ballistol in mine and then air and a hair dryer.  As for Manatee's stainless steel spring, sounds like a good deal to me and I'll probably get one for my '66.  Stump and Cammy seem to think they are a good deal and we all know those two are real straight shooters.!!!
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 08:08:07 AM »
Howdy Matthew Duncan and all the others......
I have been shootin my Yellowboy for 4 years and have never had that problem. I have used 6.0gr W231 powder the whole time. I have NEVER taken off the side plates, however I am gonna do it this weekend and have a look-see inside. I will take a picture or two (befor I clean it out) and see if I can post it here. The only thing I do is spray it out with 'brake cleaner' It has worked sofar but I think my cleaning habbits need to change.

Good shootin......
Vern... 8)

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 12:28:06 PM »
Howdy.....
I took the side plates off my '66 and I was surprised! I expected ta see 4 years of crud, however, I wasn't real bad at all  :D Pictures are commin as soon as the stinkin batteries in the camera are done chargin. The last time I cleaned this one was Aug. maybe Sept. I spray brake cleaner into and on every nook & crany and moving part I can see. Then all the same gets Break Free lube. I may put it back together the way it is and check it again in another few years  ;)

Good shootin......
Vern... ;D

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 02:21:18 PM »
Howdy......
Here's the innerds of my '66......

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2004, 03:41:23 PM »
Drifter that looks pretty darn good after 1000 rounds. I have less than 200 rounds thru mine and already had the side plates off twice.l
Isn't break cleaner a little harsh for the '66. You are probably pretty careful not to let it get on the wood--also isn't the load gate plactic? I've heard that break cleaner will eat away plastic.
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2004, 04:13:26 PM »
Howdy FloraBama Kid......
1000 rounds? More like 4000. The brake cleaner does get on the wood,but sofar no ill effects. There appears to be a clear coat on the wood. The loading gate IS NOT plastic. Brake cleaner can harm some plastics but it ain't hurt this rifle at all. It's a Uberti / Navy Arms.

Good shootin......
Vern... 8)

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 04:54:25 AM »
I do belive that IMR4227 neads to be loaded fairley heavy to burn clean.
I have used it in my .44mag's and the result have been exelent.
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Mason Stillwell

• BP C&B SHOOTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 06:25:50 AM »
I have  a couple of 66's. I shoot both BP and that new heathern powder.

BLOWBACK is the major problem. Stop the blowback and problem is gone.
Use a heavy boolit for the rifle Inside neck size the case to .454 (if it is a 45) and use enough powder to Expandthe case and seal the chamber.

Problem will go away

Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Offline Coyote Tim

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 03:12:19 AM »
I believe you'll find a large improvement with the Titegroup. I made the change FROM unique and am happy with the results. I think the unique was almost as dirty as shooting black powder.

How much Titegroup are you using and what weight bullet? I've been using 5 grs. with my 200/230 Lazer Cast bullets with good results in my 5 1/2" Uberti .45s  but I'm wondering if they will work in my 24" Uberti Yellowboy.
SASS # 69135
"Better judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 08:30:11 AM »
Matthew, your rifle's doin' real good there.  I shoot nearly 100% BP and what Mason says is true.  The blowback I get usually stops at the front of the lifter.  That gunk in the cartridge extractor hole is a well-known problem:  too bad you didn't find it out until AFTER the match!

I know Manatee;  if it weren't a worthwhile product, he wouldn't sell it!  If you get a spring, also replace that yellow plastic follower.  As Nate Kiowa Jones says, it's not a question of IF the plastic one will break, but WHEN.

If Manatee doesn't have the followers, then Nate does.

Manatee: (317) 640-0172
Nate:(409) 984-5473
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Matthew Duncan

• Cutter’s Raiders# 13
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 07:49:16 PM »
How much Titegroup are you using and what weight bullet? I've been using 5 grs. with my 200/230 Lazer Cast bullets with good results in my 5 1/2" Uberti .45s  but I'm wondering if they will work in my 24" Uberti Yellowboy.

5.2 gr of Titegroup with a 250 gr LL bullet
SASS# 23189

Offline Guano

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 06:09:28 PM »
Early on in SASS I didn't like that blow by  from 45lc, so all I shoot now is 44-40 and all I ever have to do is run a bore snake every couple of matches and a little oil and I'm good to go again. I just love the necked cartridge.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com