Author Topic: 1876 Chaparral 45-60 wcf  (Read 6666 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
1876 Chaparral 45-60 wcf
« on: December 14, 2018, 10:31:22 AM »
For the last few weeks I have been shooting my 26" oct. barrel Chaparral rifle . The rifle shoots very well with both Bp. and Smokeless powders . Never has it given me any of the horror stories I have read about these rifles having , mine functions flawlessly and is as accurate as any of my original 1876 rifles. Not bragging just stating fact. The only problem I have associated with this rifle is every time I break it out at the ranch someone is trying to get it from me . Aint happening this rifle aint going anywhere . Yep I like my Chaparral ,,,,,,,,DT

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: 1876 Chaparral 45-60 wcf
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »
Dusty,

Thanks for the comments.  I've looked at a couple of Chaparral's and considered buying one since the prices were very attractive.  But.....I was scared off by all the horror stories that are floating around.  I may have to rethink that if I come across another one.

SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 192
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 01:48:45 PM »
My ‘76 NWMP chappy carbine had headspace issues [not enough] due to one of the toggle links being out of spec, so carry a .45-60 case with you to ck it with. Wasn’t a hard fix though. Works and shoots fine now.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:18:47 AM »

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 01:49:43 PM »
Dusty,

Thanks for the comments.  I've looked at a couple of Chaparral's and considered buying one since the prices were very attractive.  But.....I was scared off by all the horror stories that are floating around.  I may have to rethink that if I come across another one.

BPB maybe I was just lucky , but I know quite a few Chaparral owners that feel the same way as I do and claim to have good service from their rifles . I bought this one thinking that I would check it out and have a look see for myself . Was very pleased with what I saw and even more pleased when I started shooting it . Gonna keep it and shoot it for a while . ,,,DT

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 03:30:37 PM »
Dusty,

I also have a Chaparral in 45-60.  But I do have one issue that maybe you can 'acknowledge' is or is not an issue with the ejection.  With my 45/70 converted cases the ejector lets loose of the casing when it is about 3/4 of the way out, then the lifter just knocks the casing out.  It does not have tension against the chamber while moving back nor does it spring out over my head like my original 44-40 1873 or Cim 44-40 1866.

I changed the factory extractor because the claw to bolt face distance was greater than the rim thickness of 0.062.  The new Win extractor provides grip but the bolt tab does not provide rim pressure.

Does your rifle fully hold the 0.602 diameter 45-70 rims and eject them?  Does the bolt cartridge tab hold pressure on the casing?  How do your originals function with not having the proper 0.629 diameter rims, like original WCF cases?

Does anyone know how Uberti 1876's get around the 0.602 rim diameter of present day cartridges converted from 45-70 cases?  Do their bolts have smaller diameter faces than the Chapparal or original Win's?

Thanks,
BRS

Black River Smith

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 04:14:56 PM »
Dusty,

I also have a Chaparral in 45-60.  But I do have one issue that maybe you can 'acknowledge' is or is not an issue with the ejection.  With my 45/70 converted cases the ejector lets loose of the casing when it is about 3/4 of the way out, then the lifter just knocks the casing out.  It does not have tension against the chamber while moving back nor does it spring out over my head like my original 44-40 1873 or Cim 44-40 1866.

I changed the factory extractor because the claw to bolt face distance was greater than the rim thickness of 0.062.  The new Win extractor provides grip but the bolt tab does not provide rim pressure.

Does your rifle fully hold the 0.602 diameter 45-70 rims and eject them?  Does the bolt cartridge tab hold pressure on the casing?  How do your originals function with not having the proper 0.629 diameter rims, like original WCF cases?

Does anyone know how Uberti 1876's get aroung the 0.602 rim diameter of present day cartridges conversions from 45-70 cases?  Do their bolts have smaller diameter faces than the Chapparal or original Win's?

Thanks,
BRS

Hello BRS good to hear from you . Hope you are well. The Chaparral with the 45-70 Remington brass with the rim thickness reduced to 0.062 and rim dia. of 0.0602  is a bit loose over the tab but still keeps things in order and ejection is good with the cartridge flipping out of the chamber positively , but without the upward push to the extent that the empty case is flattened on the mouth rim against the top of the chamber  , a big plus for me easier on brass . Speaking of chamber , I have noticed the fireformed brass in the Chaparral 45-60 forms a smaller or slighter bottle neck than my original 45-60 rifles do . The Chaparral also handles the Jamison brass just as well . As far as the original 1876 rifles handling the smaller rim brass Dia. No Problem they will cycle just as well . ,,,,,DT

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 08:11:04 PM »
 Hey BRS,, as DT knows I have a " Chappie " In 40/60 and have learned a lot visiting w/ him.  Even on a new extractor the notch can be cut too high ( I bought 3 , finally made one ). I have a original 1st. gen bolt in mine ,,It is .625 ( 5/8" ) in dia. works great . If the tab on the bottom of the bolt does not have a slight curve  " In " it ,, it will not grip the rim of the brass ( yup! been their ,had to put one on the origl. ) . From your description I'd say the tab is too low,, worn ,, or over dressed at the factory . Best to take the bolt out and put a case under the extractor then press down onto the tab see if it is too loose . I use Starline Brass 45-70's ,,I don't turn the rims down just trim down for length ,, resize ,load and shoot. Have some Jamison Brass w/ proper head stamp's " I use Starline Brass ". Holler back ,, let us know.

coffee time ,, Hootmix.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 04:23:28 AM »
Thanks Slamfire , reading your comment reminded me while answering BRS questions about how my rifles worked , i did or said nothing that helped him with his problem . BRS if you PM. me your E-mail address I can send you a video and some good measurements of my Chaparral in action feeding and ejecting . ,,,DT

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 08:14:14 AM »
Morn'n DT ,, I'v never got to hold or shoot an original 76 , my Chaparral is close enough ,,.It was used " NEW " when I got it . It had a small head space problem and the Jamison Brass rims are just a tad thin ( .o55-.057 ) the Starline are at .062-.065 ( 45/70 ) ,, quick fix . Most everyone around here has AR's ,, when they see my 76 " man ,,what size shell does that thing shoot",, sure is nice looking . I have come to " love " these toggle links , smoothest actions ,easy to work on ,and the best thing for me " all you need to know about them is HERE on this Forum," Would I buy another Chaparral ,,,, O'yoow  ( got DT ). If I can help ,, just holler.

smoke'm if ya' got'm ,, Hootmix.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 09:30:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies all,
My rifle was new but after all the issue problems had stopped the general production. Bought from CDNN in '14.  I too am using Starline brass because of its thinner rims compared to Rem & Win brass.  I bought the ejector as a 'new manufactured' item for original Win repairs.  Figured it would be the best for specs since Chapparal's were built to Win dimensions.  I put it in myself but know I did it correctly because it has enough spring tension upon bolt closure.  Not a bit of slop when fitting either, so its not that.  The tab is small but so is my 1873 but it still has plenty of hold.  44-40 modern brass follows original specs.

I still believe it is the diameter that is the issue since Chapparal specs list their casing rims for all calibers as 0.629.  I tried getting an original Win 45-60 for testing but to no success. Would like to get ahold of their specific casing they manufactured.
Black River Smith

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 09:40:39 AM »
Before CDNN sold the last of their stock , Chaparral rifles , I almost purchased a carbine in 45/75 and I think they had one in 50-95 also . Anyhow I let the chance go by without making a purchase , still kicking myself in the ///  for that decision . Never have seen a Chaparral cartridge , would like to see one also . .,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 10:21:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies all,
My rifle was new but after all the issue problems had stopped the general production. Bought from CDNN in '14.  I to am using Starline brass because of its thinner rims compared to Rem & Win brass.  I bought the ejector as a 'new manufactured' item for original Win repairs.  Figured it would be the best for specs since Chapparal's were built to Win dimensions.  I put it in myself but know I did it correctly because it has enough spring tension upon bolt closure.  Not a bit of slop when fitting either, so its not that.  The tab is small but so is my 1873 but it still has plenty of hold.  44-40 modern brass follows original specs.

I still believe it is the diameter that is the issue since Chapparal specs list their casing rims for all calibers as 0.629.  I tried getting an original Win 45-60 for testing but to no success. Would like to get ahold of their specific casing they manufactured.
   BRS I sent you a video , let me know if you receive it .,,,DT

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 10:47:56 AM »
Howdy
If you can find any Jamison brass that works good in my Chappie in 45-60 .

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 11:23:05 AM »
Howdy
If you can find any Jamison brass that works good in my Chappie in 45-60 .
                                    Hello Rowdy , wish Jamison would start production of the four 76 calibers again . ,,DT

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »
Here is the webpage to the Canadian Co called Marstar reference material.  They handled the Chaparral 1876 and had the Chaparral manufactured brass in the beginning but it has since then (obviously), not made anymore.

www.marstar.ca/html/reflibrary/Manuals/chaparralwinchester.html

I see that the Jamison brass did /does have a larger rim diameter (0.620) than std 45/70 (0.602).  That would get you closer to the original 0.629 rim and would likely work better if other things were working properly.

Thanks for discussing this now, did not mean to hijack your original posting Dusty.

Black River Smith

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2018, 03:37:35 PM »
Just starting conversation BRS , learned something new about the Chaparral brass. Did you get my short video of my Chaparral ejecting ? ,,,DT

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 04:05:33 PM »
Here is the video I saw where the brass ejected strong.  Assuming they are using a Uberti.

Dusty, I did not receive your emailed video, I checked my spam, also.  So sending you a PM with email address.
Black River Smith

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 04:07:36 PM »
Here is the video I saw where the brass ejected strong.

Dusty, I did not receive your emailed video, I check my spam also.  So sending you a PM with email address.

Uh Oh I sent someone a video of me and my rifle, LOL ,,,DT

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 04:10:23 PM »
Email address in my profile info is correct.  Don't know why it did not come though, yet?????
Black River Smith

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 04:44:51 PM »
Email address in my profile info is correct.  Don't know why it did not come though, yet?????
I will try again . ,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com