Author Topic: 1876 Forum: A Wealth Of Information.  (Read 4289 times)

Offline Joe Lansing

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1876 Forum: A Wealth Of Information.
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:45:08 PM »
    Over the past few years....yes years, the Forum has produced a tremendous wealth of information, perhaps no where else to be found. The Forum has been a little on the quiet side lately. Perhaps it's because most of what's important to say has been said.
    If I had the time and patience, I would print it all out, and sort it out separating the wheat from the chaff along the way, and put it under one cover, and call it "ALL ABOUT THE 1876".

Offline OKDEE

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1876 Forum: A Wealth Of Information.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »
Agreed!  ;D

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:00:05 PM »
As I set here sipping my glass of "Famous Grouse" whiskey, I wonder why there are not more of us on this site expressing our views of the '76 either the original or the reproductions.  They are a wonderful firearm to have fun with and to experiment with different loads.  I, for one have tested several different powders--both black and modern smokeless and found that the best were with the Swiss 1½ charge of 76 grains--not 75 grains.  I got this data from one of the earlier inputs on this site.  This load appears to be what was in some of the original factory loads. This is summer fellas, come on lets have some input here.  I know that you are shooting so lets have it.  My Swiss loads may kick a little but when I think about those old Mounties shooting those same loads makes me wonder what sort of men they were. ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:58:26 AM »

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
Hi, Larry.

I tried Swiss 1.5 and got really hard fouling.  I don't recall how many grains, but it was all I could fit in the case with moderate compression.   I was surprised as I had always heard that it was exceptional.  FWIW, we have zero humidity in these parts in the summer! ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 05:58:03 PM »
Griz:
As you will recall, I am using fire-formed brass that I think that I showed you quite awhile back and they are not like the original cases.  My cases still have room for more but I stayed with the 76 grains of Swiss.  I have never had any problems of hard fouling as you mention.  Maybe I just live right--I don't know but these loads shoot good and hit hard on both ends.  There is no signs of any pressures.  I think that about a year ago I told you that I had chronographed them and got something like 1450 or so.  The other load of Swiss that I have had pretty good luck with is 72 grains of that Swiss.  Anyway, after trying the Swiss and Dupont and Goex, I do like--that is my rifle--likes the Swiss.  I don't do all that much shooting in one session so maybe the fouling might show up.  I was going to shoot today but had to change a bucket on a Back Hoe and other assorted stuff so never popped a cap.  It is not that dry here in the Flathead but it is hot--for us folks that is. ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 10:26:41 PM »
Griz:
I shot my rifle yesterday and have to pass this on to you.  I shot that load of 76 grains of Swiss and, frankly, it kicked the living hell out of me.  Guess that my 73 year old bones can't handle that so good anymore.  The 72 grain load that I do like is more accurate and the recoil is less.  Just thought that I should pass this bit of info on to you.  Also, when I cleaned the rifle I did not observe any fouling so suppose that the humidity has something to do with that?  Also, with that 76 grain  load, I use a cardboard wad over the powder and not with the 72 grain load. ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:17:37 PM »
Griz:
I shot my rifle yesterday and have to pass this on to you.  I shot that load of 76 grains of Swiss and, frankly, it kicked the living hell out of me.  Guess that my 73 year old bones can't handle that so good anymore.  The 72 grain load that I do like is more accurate and the recoil is less.  Just thought that I should pass this bit of info on to you.  Also, when I cleaned the rifle I did not observe any fouling so suppose that the humidity has something to do with that?  Also, with that 76 grain  load, I use a cardboard wad over the powder and not with the 72 grain load. ;)

Well, it would me too! ;D  I don't think your doing too bad for 73, as I recall your still out changing out the bucket on the backhoe!  Thanks for the range report, Larry. :)

......and yes, the humidity makes a difference ;)!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 10:25:46 PM »
Griz:
I think that I will try to chronograph that 76 grain load better than before.  O know what that 72 grain load does so it will be a good comparison if I WEAR a pad on my shoulder that is.  Still can't figure out why there is no more activity on this site than there is.  Good Weather???  Anyway that is my plan.  Also am thinking about loading up my old Hawken and testing it out.  Haven't shot it for over 20 years so time to blow the cobwebs out.  It is a 16 pounder that I built from a set of plans of an original in the museum in Kansas about 40 years ago.  It is a 54 caliber.  I packed it alot when I was younger and stupider. Done good with it too.  used two(2) patched round balls over 100 grains of BP.  NOT a bench load! ;D
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com