Author Topic: 1876 Shotgun Butt stocks  (Read 6430 times)

Offline curdog

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1876 Shotgun Butt stocks
« on: June 12, 2009, 12:57:20 PM »
What is the height and width of the but plates on original 76's? I'm pondering making one for my Uberti and would like to know. Also were the buttplates smooth or checkered? Does anyone have one with the hard rubber plates? I read in Madis' book that a few had them. I have just the right piece of american walnut for a nice butt stock. It has some croch grain to it. :) If I'm lucky I'll have it done next spring. I need to quit taking so many side jobs. But then I wouldn't have my gun money that momma doesn't mind me spending. ;D

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: 1876 Shotgun Butt stocks
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:18:38 PM »
What is the height and width of the but plates on original 76's? I'm pondering making one for my Uberti and would like to know. Also were the buttplates smooth or checkered? Does anyone have one with the hard rubber plates? I read in Madis' book that a few had them. I have just the right piece of american walnut for a nice butt stock. It has some croch grain to it. :) If I'm lucky I'll have it done next spring. I need to quit taking so many side jobs. But then I wouldn't have my gun money that momma doesn't mind me spending. ;D

I have a short rifle with shotgun butt.  It is shown in the first pic on the pictures of originals thread.  It is 5 inches in height by about 1 and 5/8th inches wide.  Mine has a steel, unchecked butt plate.  Hope that helps. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Leverluver

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 07:56:25 PM »
Hey Grizz, hope you remember the favor I did for you about a year ago when you wanted to know if a new 86EL stock would fit a Browning 86?  I took both stocks off and interchanged them to check.  I hope you remember cause I'm looking for a similar return favor  ;).   I'd like to put a shotgun butt on my 76 but all the manufacturers that I see say that their repros for originals don't fit the Uberti.  OK, just what doesn't fit?  If there is more wood removed for the original, I guess I'm out of luck as you can't add wood but if it is just a matter of removing more wood, that I can handle.  Could you, at your leisure, please see what the differences are between your Uberti stock and one of your originals?  Thanks   

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:53:32 PM »

Offline curdog

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 09:14:08 PM »
Thanks Grizzly. It would be interesting to know if the repro stocks for origanal 76's would work on the Uberti. It would save me four or five hours of hard labor. ;D

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:24:33 PM »
Hi, Leverluver and Curdog. ;D  I will check it out and let you guys know what I find. ;)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »
Hello!
     Did you ever try this?  How did it work?
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:53:12 PM »
Hello!
     Did you ever try this?  How did it work?

Opps! :-[  I had a senior month, and forgot all about it! ;D  I'll try to get that done shortly..... ;)
GAF

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 06:22:58 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 06:32:17 PM »
Hey Grizz, hope you remember the favor I did for you about a year ago when you wanted to know if a new 86EL stock would fit a Browning 86?  I took both stocks off and interchanged them to check.  I hope you remember cause I'm looking for a similar return favor  ;).   I'd like to put a shotgun butt on my 76 but all the manufacturers that I see say that their repros for originals don't fit the Uberti.  OK, just what doesn't fit?  If there is more wood removed for the original, I guess I'm out of luck as you can't add wood but if it is just a matter of removing more wood, that I can handle.  Could you, at your leisure, please see what the differences are between your Uberti stock and one of your originals?  Thanks   

OK, guys, I pulled the stock off of my Uberti, and off of one of my Winchesters.  Both are completely interchangeable! :o  I was shocked to say the least! ;D
GAF

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »
Outstanding!  Thanks!

Offline curdog

• Very Active Citizen