Author Topic: New Guy  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Rick55

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Guy
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »
I just received my first 1873 replica for my birthday (from the wife and kids). It is a Cimarron Short Rifle in .357 caliber.

Shot it today for the first time and it's a great shooter! It ate 357 and 38 specials with no problem, although I thought I felt a little catch in the action using the 38s. I bought this rifle for general target shooting and plinking, I am not into cowboy action shooting at this time.

Here are a couple of pics:

I do have a couple of questions. I want to have a tang sight put on and am leaning towards the Marbles sight. Any thoughts on Marbles vs Lyman? Should I replace the front sight too and if so, what would you suggest?

Also, does anyone have a good folding ladder sight on their gun to use when you don't use the tang sight? Brand?

Finally, what do you use for a bore brush handle when cleaning out the chamber after shooting 38s to get rid of the carbon ring before going back to 357s?

This is one of the best forums for info I have found in a long time. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
Rick

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 06:11:30 PM »
For the ladder sight, ya might try and find a Uberti 73/66 Carbine rear sight. It is a ladder sight of the original design. Most CAS shooter replace it for a more open flattop rear sight.

Some one here might just have one in their parts box. ;)

Mine is on an early Navy Arms 73/44 carbine, it is not for sale.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 07:54:22 AM »
Rick,
Welcome to the forum. Nice present. ;D

The Marble has a windage adjustment whereas the Lyman does not. To adjust the windage with the Lyman you would either have to move the front sight or shim one side of the base of the Lyman sight.

If you are happy with the front sight I would leave it as is.

Unless you are shooting quite a lot of 38 Specials (say....250+) before going back to 357's, just a normal cleaning with patches and solvent will work ok. Otherwise, running a standard bore brush through the barrel several times during the cleaning process should work just fine.

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:50:23 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com