Author Topic: '73 Rebuild? (Updated)  (Read 16405 times)

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: '73 Rebuild? (Updated)
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 02:48:01 AM »
For smokeless loads with older powders/levels that are safe try Ken Waters' book on Handloads.  He has lots of data for the 44-40 but in an old gun I would keep it on the milder side or you may end up with a pile of shrapnel that is scrap iron.

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 05:57:18 AM »
  Having rebuilt two '73's, a '76 and an '86, I will say enjoy your project; I certainly had fun doing mine.  I still own and shoot all but one '73, which somebody with money talked me out of, and it is a really good feeling to use a rifle you have put your own time and effort into.  I relined two,(plus an 1889 Marlin in .38WCF) ,and rebarrelled one and have found them all to be good shooters.  I guess the hunt for parts is part of the fun.

Regards,

Jubal Starbuck

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 07:46:41 AM »
I enjoy the process as much as the end result.  In this case, it was more for just a project and to see if I can get it to the level of detail and finish that I want.  I know what I want...now all I have to do is see if I have the patience and skill-set to get there.  Here is the last project like this that I tackled...

I can't find my "before" pics, but it started out as a very ratty Sporter action that I had rebarrelled and I restocked.  I did the polishing, nitre bluing of the screw and wood finish.
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:43:22 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 08:05:56 AM »
That is some gorgeous wood. One very nice piece  :D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 09:15:19 AM »
That is some gorgeous wood. One very nice piece  :D

And it was also the HARDEST piece of walnut I have ever worked with...BAR NONE!!
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 10:19:10 AM »
I have my Grandparents dressers in a simlar Flame Burl Walnut, they are close to 100 years old.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 640
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 07:17:12 PM »
Mossyrock:

Any updates on your 1873 project?

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 07:29:47 PM »
John Taylor notified me last week that my barrel reline is done, but I have been out of town on business and unable to pick it up.  Hopefully next week....
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 640
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 01:10:04 PM »
Thanks.  We who can't afford such a project get vicarious enjoyment by following yours.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline R.T. Rangebum

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »
MR,

Where did you get the butt plate, I have an original baby roller in 44-40. The stock needs rebuilding and as you can imagin the action needs work as well but, it's a shooter. I would love to have an original or even a well done replica butt plate.

Rangebum

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »
MR,

Where did you get the butt plate, I have an original baby roller in 44-40. The stock needs rebuilding and as you can imagin the action needs work as well but, it's a shooter. I would love to have an original or even a well done replica butt plate.

Rangebum

Well, that may be a problem.  The original buttplate on my rifle has been ground on pretty badly and may not be usable.  The stockset I am using is cut for a later-style Winchester '73 buttplate which may be had  here: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25242/avs|Make~~Model_1=Winchester__1873/Product/LEVER_ACTION_BUTTPLATE
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 06:00:31 PM »

Hey Guys!!!

You might want to give "the Winchester Man" a call for your Butt Plates.  Albert D. Buckingham, 731-559-4169.  He has parts for just about anything old Winchester.  Nothing for a modern copy but the guy has a ton of parts for "original" old Winchesters.  He also has about 600+ Winchesters for sale.

Coffinmaker 

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 08:18:38 PM »
Hey Guys!!!

You might want to give "the Winchester Man" a call for your Butt Plates.  Albert D. Buckingham, 731-559-4169.  He has parts for just about anything old Winchester.  Nothing for a modern copy but the guy has a ton of parts for "original" old Winchesters.  He also has about 600+ Winchesters for sale.

Coffinmaker 

I might have to do that!  Thanks!   ;D
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 12:49:52 PM »
Another labor of love

One thing I've noticed with several moderately to heavily used ones at gunshows (as well as my own) with loading gates that can 'stick'.  One contributing factor in my own was that the firing pin was bent (Lord knows why).

Another thing to watch out for - the stabilizing tip (6 o'clock on the breach-bolt face) can be snapped off, which will result in loading and extraction issues.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 06:21:07 PM »
Story,

Oh but I do love "short" guns.  What's the barrel length??

Really NICE!!

Coffinmaker

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »
I picked up my '73 from John Taylor the other day.  I just have to say that John is a Master at what he does!  He relined my barrel in such a seamless manner than if it wasn't for the bare steel, I wouldn't be able to tell!  He also welded up a spot where some malcontent attempted to shorten a special-order 26" barrel!   :o  I swear...some people's kids...  Anyway, the weld job and cleanup is so perfect that you REALLY can't see it.  Once it is reblued, you would not be able to tell that it had been welded up.  He also recut the magazine bearing dovetail.  I suspect he did some welding there as well because it was a mess before.  Now the work falls to me.  I guess I need to get on it....
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 11:11:27 PM »
Story,

Oh but I do love "short" guns.  What's the barrel length??

Really NICE!!

Coffinmaker

Around 19", nice little cut-down.
Notice anything else weird about it?  ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 08:23:59 AM »

Round barrel with a strange color to the mag tube.  Also looks like a "bull" barrel.

Coffinmaker

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2011, 11:38:06 AM »
Round barrel with a strange color to the mag tube.  Also looks like a "bull" barrel.

Coffinmaker

I think the barrel is the normal diameter, but I swear that magazine tube is an old water pipe.  
That probably makes it the extremely rare Coast Guard boarding rifle (1885).  ;)

PS - I sent you a msg through your website wrt the October 10 Zombie Shoot, gather you never got it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com