Author Topic: Gun case  (Read 6813 times)

Offline Texlee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gun case
« on: November 15, 2013, 01:59:31 AM »
I'm not quite sure where to post this so ill try hear because it involves historical accuracy I guess.. So I'm wanting to make a case for my SAA and I'd like to make it as close to one of the presentation cases one would see back in the 1800s. All the pictures I've seen of them seem to have a label of sorts on the lid but they all say "London" on them. Where the labels only on the ones shipped overseas? Did the ones stateside not have labels? Or an I missing something here?..

Anybody have any thoughts in this?

Tex

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Gun case
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 01:57:14 AM »
It is my understanding that American factory-cased SAA's were much less common than the cased ones sold by the London Agency.  The revolvers were not sent to Britain cased, but were cased there if requested by the customer .... and of course the British liked cased pistols!

You may have seen pictures I have posted of my own pseudo-London Agency casing for a Uberti SAA clone - residing as I do in the former British Empire, I was quite willing to do it up in the London style -

It seems that there may have been a U.S. version of this label .... although the only place I can recall having seen it used is on a "reduced scale" cased SAA -

The Colt Archive Services might be able to help with a definitive answer -  http://www.coltsmfg.com/CustomerServices/ArchiveServices.aspx
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »
Rattlesnake Jack's right.

After the percussion era, Americans didn't go in for cases like the British did - ours went into holsters.

Dixie Gun Works and EMF both supply cases, though - you might try there.

You might also try replicating the 'London casing' that you see posted - it's quite nice.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:25:03 AM »

Offline Texlee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 07:17:21 PM »
Thank you gents for the help, I'm not looking for 100% historic accuracy I just want a good looking case for a good looking shoot'n iron! I think I might blow up the reduced size one an print it out for mine.
RattlesnakeJack that is a might fine looking case you've made yourself!

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »
Thanks, Texlee!  It was a "labor of love" quite some time ago .... not sure I'd have the patience do do something like it anymore!  I did want to come as close as I could to the traditional London Agency style of case - so i did things like finger-jointing the corners (by hand.)  

Here's a poor-quality pic of rhe original London Agency casing I patterned mine on -

Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 11:10:50 AM »
Suggest you contact the below link:

http://www.billscases.com/

He does OUTSTANDING work for really fair prices - I doubt you could build one for the price if you factor in your labor - plus will provide labels. His accessories page should be of interest to all here. I have one of his cases for a nickel plated SAA that he designed that also holds a pair of Garcia silver spurs and it is just beautiful.

Check him out.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 12:44:45 PM »
I can "second" James Hunt's recommendation for Bill's Cases.  As a follow-up to my comment that I likely wouldn't have the patience to do this kind of thing now, just last year I got Bill to make an English-style case for my original London "Navy" revolver -

This is one of 800 London Navy revolvers acquired in 1855-56 by the pre-Confederation "United Province of Upper and Lower Canada" for issue to Volunteer Militia Cavalry Troopers. Mine is marked as having been revolver number four issued to "B" Troop (St. Catharines) in Upper Canada.  Of course, the case also is a perfect fit for my Uberti London Navy clone, which I have so I don't have to wear out the original -

But, yes, I have fired the original!  ;D

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 02:31:22 PM »
That's outstanding, Jack!  (The case, the original Navy, and your willingness to shoot it, which is what they built it for!)
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com