Author Topic: NCOWS Eastern Regional was a Great Shoot!  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Wes Virginian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NCOWS Eastern Regional was a Great Shoot!
« on: October 10, 2005, 08:44:40 AM »
Thanks to Celeste & Jim Mullins, and Bob Chenault for 6 fun stages! And all the work that went into preparing and having this Match at "Hooten Old Town" in McKee, Ky. The best part of it all was getting to spend some time with old friends and getting to meet and make more friends! I enjoyed watching everyone shoot the stages, even though most were a lot faster than me! I am usually amazingly slow and highly inaccurate but no one has more fun than I do! At the banquet on Saturday night, there was good food, plenty of door prizes, and HOMEMADE PIES! I had some of the butterscotch(still warm), and I thought I'd died and went to heaven!
Again, a big THANKS to the officers of the Johnson County Rangers for putting on a great shoot!

Wes Virginian
AKA David Glazier
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: NCOWS Eastern Regional was a Great Shoot!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 10:22:19 AM »
We sure had a hoot at Hooten, all right!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 12:52:29 PM »
Once again Hooten Old Town was livened up.  Wednesday and Thursday were work days to get ready for the arrival of the Roughest bunch of rogues, outlaws, inlaws, bylaws, lawdogs and cats and anyone else that rode into town packing a wish for a rip-roaring good time.

Friday was overcast with a late fog that went off with a drizzle.  The long range rifle shoot was delayed a bit waiting for the mist to lift out of Hooten Hollow so that the BP could roll.  The dares and bets and boasting flew hot and heavy.  Almost as heavy as some of the lead launched down range.  George Glenn would have done better, but lost a firing pin due to breakage in the first relay.  Dave Williams smoked up the range with his massive Sharps loads.  G.W. Schofield and Steel Horse Bailey were trying to get Peevine Miller to miss more targets.  Ulterior motive, perhaps? :-\

After a lunch break, the side matches got underway with the tomahawk and knife throwing up first.  Everyone did their best to nail the playing card with both weapons, some had better results than others.  Fall Creek Sam would not agree to let us use his top hat with the green feather for a target.   :-[

The duelling trees for the pistol and rifle were quite hotly contested, with shooters lined up in pairs to start, with a rapidly narrowing field to leave the "Last Man Standing" with either rifle or pistol.  After the smoke cleared, the strange thing was, the" Last Man" wasn't----- it was a "Last Woman Standing" with the Rifle--- better luck next time, Jeff Farmer--- it will be a while before you get to forget that!

Cowboy trap was also quite a hoot,  to round out Friday, we had a bean supper in the Buffalo Bull Saloon, complete with entertainment by Capt. Ralph Marcum and Gene Gatts, on the fiddle and guitar, respectively.

The festivities were ushered in on Saturday with a hearty "Fire in the Hole!" from G.W. Schofield as he lit the cannon fuse.  Two rounds were launched down the main street, which lit up the morning and caused a lot of lights to go on.

After a hearty breakfast at Opal's restaurant, we repaired to the church house for a safety meeting and posse assignments.
Six stages were shot, all except one based on historical events in Kentucky History.  The one that was not, was probably because that low life Comanchero and his gun running gang were most likely run out of Kentucky and had to take up a day job somewhere else.

Once again, the uncanny ability of the dreaded Spencers made itself known, as both Grizzle Bear and myself unlimbered ours.  The Sun fell prey this time, as both the Moon and the Space Shuttle had been downed at the Nationals.  The overcast held, with a cool day and a slight breeze to waft the BP smoke to the side. ;D :o ::) :P

The stages were completed early enough for everyone to get in a bit of socializing and gun cleaning, and get ready for the banquet.  It certainly looked as if a troop of grub destroyers were turned loose at the banquet, or everyone had a healthy appetite for the ham and fried chicken and all the trimmings.  A variety of fresh, still warm home-made pies or carrot cake topped off and filled in any remaining empty space.  The award ceremony was cheered on by a lot of laughter at some of the results, and the banter began.  Door prizes were awarded, with one highlight of a Framed print donated by Ottawa Creek Bill, of his painting that will grace the cover of the next issue of "The Shootist". 
We even had enough to give out some on the second round.  We would also like to thank all the merchants and individuals that donated door prizes.

Live entertainment was furnished by "Cool Waters", a cowboy band, with many great songs, one of the most memorable was "A Big Dip In His Lip"..

The Johnson County Rangers would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the shooters, whether lead or just bull, and everyone else that came and made our shoot such a success.  Those of you that missed it, can just eat your hearts out.

Keep your eyes peeled for a more detailed account in a future issue of "The Shootist". ;D :o ::)

French Jack

French Jack

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:02:46 PM »

Offline Wes Virginian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 04:32:55 PM »
I think I said just about the same thing that French Jack did, but EVERYONE knows that I ain't near as windy as him! :D

Sure was a FUN time!!

Wes Virginian
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 06:12:02 PM »
Wes,
It was good to have met you, I envy anyone that has adopted the life of a wandering vagabond. My wife Pat retires next year and we hope to do the same with gusto! After the mist cleared and the rain let up it was real fun. It was cool enough that we all hoped for a little snow ;)
We really appreciate all those that made it from the far west and hope you all enjoyed yourself and made it home safefully. Hopefully George Glenn was impressed with Proffesor Marcum's little town enough that he may support us in having the National Shoot there next year.

OCB
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 06:22:41 PM »
Joss,
Those Kentucky Women deep down in the hills know how to cook, and they all can shoot......Wished you could have made it!!

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 07:13:44 PM »
 :o ;) ;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 08:05:04 PM »
If you all want to see River City John leaving the Jail with suite case in hand, go to my web site and click on the album "Eastern Regional", heh..heh...heh..................................................................................heh.

OCB
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com